Archived Not Fast Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today while pushing pets I had a hardlines executive (who has never said anything to me ever) come up to me and tell me to speed up the pace and that continued slow speed would result in a write up. This came as a surprise as I'm frequently told how fast I am at pushing freight. Mentioned it to my team lead and they said not to worry about it and that I was going faster then everyone else. In the break room I told the two other flow members I was sitting with and the same lod told each of them the same thing as well. Performancing out employees is alive and well. It seems as though there is a directive in place that if you don't quit on your own then you'll be fired for whatever reason, legitimate or not.

The ETL probably thinks that you should be meeting the stocking speed time for the section that corporate provides for the day. Inbounds/hardlines TMs at my store are now being told that these time goals are possible and they need to meet them.

Truly, the times are acheivable if all vehicles are perfectly sorted, there is very little trash to deal with, there is nothing to backstock, no guests get in the way or need help, no guest first are needed, and teleportation devices from the backroom to the section and back are available. So, yeah, just work faster because you have everything you need to get done in time.

Today while pushing pets I had a hardlines executive (who has never said anything to me ever) come up to me and tell me to speed up the pace and that continued slow speed would result in a write up. This came as a surprise as I'm frequently told how fast I am at pushing freight. Mentioned it to my team lead and they said not to worry about it and that I was going faster then everyone else. In the break room I told the two other flow members I was sitting with and the same lod told each of them the same thing as well. Performancing out employees is alive and well. It seems as though there is a directive in place that if you don't quit on your own then you'll be fired for whatever reason, legitimate or not.

Do they assume the people they hire to do it will be any faster?

Dude, I can't remember the last time we as a team met goal time for unloading the truck. It's been at least six months. Our ETL sets unrealistic expectations.
We meet ours more often than not. If we miss it I dont think it's by anymore than 15 minutes most times

One of our TMs was just told they were too slow and was really upset about it. That person is not as fast some, true. Physically, they aren't able to move as fast as others. But they are always working, always helping guests as best they can, never standing around wasting time.

Meanwhile, another TM who is capable of working fast took 3.5 hours to push one U-boat because they were standing around talking with a nearby TM and had also disappeared from their area for some time - probably to stand around talking with someone else.

But they bitch at the TM who is trying to do their job well.

One of our TMs was just told they were too slow and was really upset about it. That person is not as fast some, true. Physically, they aren't able to move as fast as others. But they are always working, always helping guests as best they can, never standing around wasting time.

Meanwhile, another TM who is capable of working fast took 3.5 hours to push one U-boat because they were standing around talking with a nearby TM and had also disappeared from their area for some time - probably to stand around talking with someone else.

That'll fall under life is unfair I guess.

This kind of crap makes me so angry. My former TL used to play these games. He's still at the store, just not my TL anymore. (And when he asked shortly after moving to a different area of the store if I'd like to pick up some extra hours in his new area? My first thought was, "Uh, why are you asking me after all the grief you've given me?" My out-loud response was more diplomatic.)

And I'm guessing this ETL has never pushed a truck before?

Doubtful. He's usually there at nights or at least after i punch out at 10. I've only seen him a couple times in the last two years. This (you're not moving fast enough!) was the first thing they've ever said to me.

I expect my team to zone/fix the items immediately to the left or right of every item they push. It takes longer. It’s also in line with the new op model, to zone as you go.

The ETL log gets pissed about how long my teams push takes, and brings up the greenfield times. My response is to either ask him how his teams zones look; or how much extra time they take having to just zone when the STL or visit calls out their areas, or (this is the best one) why his teams are having trouble coming clean when they’re saving all this time by not backstocking and overpushing instead. I remind him that my team comes clean more often than not, and then ask him if he’s looked at the comps in my areas since I implemented the op model early vs his and he promptly shuts the fuck up.

Last edited:

That would have been one of those situations where I would have ever so politely, using all the Spot jargon possible. asked if the ETL has 'suggestions for improving my speed' and if 'he could please demonstrate them for me since I am an observational learner'.
If you act totally earnest, like it would just kill you not to do a better job, so they would have a hard time telling if you are being sarcastic or not, they are stuck in a difficult position.
Either they demonstrate as you asked or they STFU.

Yeah my food peeps got the math talk a few weeks ago. Literally pushing nonstop breaking a sweat in the freezer/cooler areas and it’s not enough.

They don’t take into account the guests who b line you and ask for something across the store then get uppity when you don’t hold their hand all the way there. Or how they spend 15 minutes trying to decide what juice and you can’t ask them to move because that’s considered rude.

My favorite though is how my remodeled store shrunk in size so the backroom coolers are on the opposite side of the store from where the product is on the floor. So not only do I get to load vehicles and push them half a mile but I have to go through seasonal and infants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back