Archived Not-So-Law-Abiding "Guests" Shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattern Finder

Floater? I barely even know her!
From cashier to SCO, I've dealt with too many assholes who think they can get away with stealing from my store.

My Target store is a two-story building with two levels. We have a total of 16 self-checkout machines (8 on each level) with a TM scheduled there for opening and closing shifts (we're a 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM). The biggest catch I had was two guests, one was a middle aged woman and the other was an elderly woman, trying to purchase a $399.99 vacuum cleaner for the price of $9.99 bed sheet covers. I already had an inkling suspicion something wasn't right when that was the only expensive item standing out from their groceries and personal care items. The stressful thing about this was that it wasn't just a clearance sticker slapped on there. Nope, they ripped off the barcode sticker for the $9.99 item and slapped it over the S/N barcode. On top of that, the guests were doing different 3 types of payment including SNAP, debit card, and cash. They were already beckoning me to cater all of their fucking whims like I was their damn servant.

After I paused everything they were doing to rip off the barcode sticker, unscan the $9.99 barcode, and scan in the $399.99 one, the middle age lady said I already scanned it and I had to keep everything resembling cool to spat back at her that no she fucking didn't. So now I have monitor her entire transaction and disregard everyone else at SCO because who fucking knows what these bastards are gonna pull on me. The elderly woman had the audacity to inquire if I was a man or a woman (I'm a really short, twiggy Asian man I get it but dude... it doesn't matter because we ain't acquaintances or friends) in hopes I'll get sidetrack and stop watching the middle age woman scan her items. I didn't. I briefly said I'm a guy and that's that.

In the end, they didn't buy the vacuum cleaner
(what an absolute shock), bought everything else, and asked if they can have it hold. I told them items have to be hold at guest services provided with their name. They deadass looked me in the face as they were about to head down and say, "Well this ain't going to carry itself."

Hey. Have you ever considered... I'm stuck at my station on the 2nd level to help guests and look out for more assholes like you and attend any technical issues if it pops up? I told her I couldn't head down with them. She insisted I hold it at SCO and she'll come back to purchase then, but I wasn't gonna deal with this shit. I told her no, I can't do that for her. It eventually lead up to her yelling at how awful I was to them, threatening to report me against customer service or corporate or who the fuck ever by mad dogging in the eyes (I happily smiled and gestured my name tag because ya know what fuck off), and referring to me as a woman when I already told her I'm a man earlier. I reported this to 2nd level GSTL and TPS and I was rewarded $5 of my choice to get requisitioned later.

TLDR: Someone tried stealing over $400 and it ended with lots of harassment on my end

Oh my god a two story store sounds horrible

Dude, the parking lot structure is far worse for my store because that alone is 6 stories. There were days I had to fill in for cart attendant whenever they called out and people need to give them props for getting carts for two fucking levels from 6 fucking levels. And they usually do this shit alone unless GSTL has TM go out and collect carts manually if carts keep running out before the cart attendant brings more in or we have a cart attendant in for a mid-shift.

I always wondered how a 2story store does logistics,, is there a 2 story backroom? How do they get vehicles from receiving to the salesfloor?

In the end, they didn't buy the vacuum cleaner (what an absolute shock), bought everything else, and asked if they can have it hold. I told them items have to be hold at guest services provided with their name. They deadass looked me in the face as they were about to head down and say, "Well this ain't going to carry itself."

Hey. Have you ever considered... I'm stuck at my station on the 2nd level to help guests and look out for more assholes like you and attend any technical issues if it pops up? I told her I couldn't head down with them. She insisted I hold it at SCO and she'll come back to purchase then, but I wasn't gonna deal with this shit. I told her no, I can't do that for her. It eventually lead up to her yelling at how awful I was to them, threatening to report me against customer service or corporate or who the fuck ever by mad dogging in the eyes (I happily smiled and gestured my name tag because ya know what fuck off), and referring to me as a woman when I already told her I'm a man earlier. I reported this to 2nd level GSTL and TPS and I was rewarded $5 of my choice to get requisitioned later.

TLDR: Someone tried stealing over $400 and it ended with lots of harassment on my end

Major props to you for spotting that. If you ever run into a situation like that again, I would suggest agreeing to hold it for them, asking for their name, and then letting them walk away. Once they're gone call over your GSTL/AP/LOD and explain the situation to them. Either 2 things will happen: Either the guest won't come back and then that's the end of it. Or they'll come back to try to claim the vacuum (by that point AP will have had time to run their faces and start building a case. If they're repeat offenders they may be able to arrest at that point).

Major props to you for spotting that. If you ever run into a situation like that again, I would suggest agreeing to hold it for them, asking for their name, and then letting them walk away. Once they're gone call over your GSTL/AP/LOD and explain the situation to them. Either 2 things will happen: Either the guest won't come back and then that's the end of it. Or they'll come back to try to claim the vacuum (by that point AP will have had time to run their faces and start building a case. If they're repeat offenders they may be able to arrest at that point).

Thank you for the helpful suggestion! I will definitely do that instead if I ever encounter another situation like that again. Less harassment and more assistence are the things I’m here for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back