Not wanting to return to work after a LOA

Hello,

I am currently on an Education LOA for the semester as I am a full-time student plus doing an internship. I have only worked at my store for about 3 months and now am going on the LOA. After my last day, I really realized that I do not want to go back. I love my internship and they are offering me a job upon completion. I think that would be a better fit for me as it is in my field of study and I actually enjoy it.

I feel bad abandoning my job at target while on an LOA. I want to say in good standing with my HR and team leads and not be terminated with a "no re-hire" note. What is the best way to go about this? Do I just contact them and say I will not be coming back? Do I return for a few weeks and then turn in my two weeks notice? Ultimately I just want future employers to be able to contact target and them not badmouth me for finding and taking a better opportunity with this internship.

Just tell them you got a better offer and plan on not coming back. There will be no hard feelings and you’ll be taken of LOA and termed. Your Hr would be more annoyed if you came back for a week and then quit. Also target doesn’t give any type of recommendations.

You may as well stay on LOA until the semester is over and then let them know you’re not coming back, just in case something goes wrong with the internship or you change your mind, you will still have a back-up job with Spot until you can find something else. Good luck!

This internship sounds like better fit and is gonna give you job in your field where as the spot does not. I say fuck them they wouldn't hesitate to throw you under the bus at anytime. This is what you want to do and you have said you don't want to go back so don't. Don't ruin an opportunity of lifetime for the spot just because you don't wanna job abandon and look bad later. They will forget all about you later.

Back