Archived Now it's posted, what's your schedule for Thanksgiving and Black Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday - Electronics 6PM - 11
Thursday - Off :excited:
Friday - Electronics 6PM - 11:30
Saturday - Electronics 12PM to 7:30

I lucked out with only one shift! 11pm-7:30am (overnight.) then I'm back to open Saturday and Sunday.

Oh, and Wednesday night for setup.

Off Mon/Tues

Wednesday: Market 12 PM - 4 PM
Hardlines 4 PM - 9 PM
Thursday: Cashier (Backup cashiered, never taken a shift as one, HLTM) 7:45 PM - 11:30 PM
Cart Attendant (Never done this, haven't been trained for it yet) 11:30 PM - 3:30 AM
Friday: Hardlines 10:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Saturday: Market 2:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Ad Takedown 9:00 PM - 11:00 PM

40.25 hours for the week, gonna be a slogfest after Tuesday. Been with the company a bit over a month, first time working retail, first time working on BF.

Thurs night into friday morning: 7:30p-7:30a

It's time and half Until midnight then an extra dollar on the hour until six, right?

Apparently they aren't going to fix the mucked schedule.... I would have appreciated knowing weeks ago "they" weren't going to honor the day off I said I needed in my interview. So much for spending the day with my kids for our early thanksgiving/my birthday. Here is hoping their dad flakes so I don't have to deal with my mother.... I'd rather work Thursday than deal with how bad this is going to go over. Ugh.

There was a guy in electronics who didn't want to work black friday and was upset he wasn't working Thanksgiving ( go figure lol) and was begging people please,please switch with me but the people in hardlines dislike like him so make everyone happy the sales floor for thanksgiving ( since they really dislike the guy) I said no I have plans on black friday. You know how Target drama starts.... They made the schedule for a reason lol

Mehhhhhh, 6 to 2 am then 4 pm to midnight for me. At this point I'm so numb to it I almost look forward to just throwing cables and dvds at guests and telling them they missed their crappy tv shows on sale to some weird lady and her fifteen cats.

Opening on Thurs Pm going ON into Fri; off 6 hrs then coming back to close Fri night before opening Sat Am; then home to sleep for the rest of the day.
When I go in Thurs evening, I'll tell my husband & boys "See ya Sunday".
So much for work/life balance.

Thursday - 8pm to 12:45am

Friday - 9am to 4:30pm (Get to have dinner...lol O_O)

The notes I managed to see on the HR desk seem to be accurate.

Thursday 7PM to 3:30AM apparently under "crowd control".
Friday 6PM to 11:30PM under hardlines.

The bus doesn't run at 3:30AM. I'll have to find something to do for two hours >.>

8AM-6PM. Cashiering.

They don't schedule me up there enough for me to be 'good' at it. Or to even know how to handle half the things I have to do. I still struggle with spider-wrap. I guess it's better than being on the floor? How do I get away for breaks?

They surely don't expect me to get Red Cards, do they?

Also, I skimmed the whole schedule and it looks like half our store isn't working on Thanksgiving OR Black Friday. But they told me that not working BF will get you fired. So are they about to fire half the store, or was I lied to? And why are they giving people 10-hour shifts on the worst day of the year when they could schedule some of those people who aren't working for 5-hour shifts and split things up? I thought the 'everyone works BF' rule was in place so no one would have a 10-hour shift.

I open as operator on Thurs., 7:30p-5:30a and then turn around and come back for a simple SL shift from 5p-12a. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted. I'm going to need a jug of coffee to stay awake after the big rush is over and driving home.
Does anyone know what times Starbucks is going to be open on Thurs. if at all?

8AM-6PM. Cashiering.

They don't schedule me up there enough for me to be 'good' at it. Or to even know how to handle half the things I have to do. I still struggle with spider-wrap. I guess it's better than being on the floor? How do I get away for breaks?

They surely don't expect me to get Red Cards, do they?

Also, I skimmed the whole schedule and it looks like half our store isn't working on Thanksgiving OR Black Friday. But they told me that not working BF will get you fired. So are they about to fire half the store, or was I lied to? And why are they giving people 10-hour shifts on the worst day of the year when they could schedule some of those people who aren't working for 5-hour shifts and split things up? I thought the 'everyone works BF' rule was in place so no one would have a 10-hour shift.
The 10-12shift and another shift the next day is usually expected on Thanksgiving/BF.

If you are seasonal, and you don't show up, its either an immediate termination or non-hireable at the end of the seasonal period. For permanent TMs, its pretty much a coaching or writeup.

At my former store, they are making the Flow time unload Wednesday night. A select few will help with the door buster prep. Then open & overnight Thanksgiving doing cashiering. For some of them, its the only time of year they have been on the register since being hired. If you cashier at any time, you have to promote the Red Card. The GSA/GSTL will schedule and send you on break/lunches

For the schedule, depends on your store and position. Some stores work their entire teams on Thanksgiving openings/Black Friday. Other stores if they have appropriate numbers, they will work some employees Thanksgiving/BF then the other half will have to work around Christmas.

Ah, I see. One of the LODs (I *think* she is our store's overall manager but I'm not totally clear on that) told me that *everyone* works BF, no exceptions. So I was quite surprised to see how untrue that was on the posted schedule. But if that means I might have some days off around Christmas, then great. I just wish I had been told that, instead of told that everyone works BF.

I'm not seasonal, and I am planning to show up (but I have my fingers crossed that I get the flu instead, I shouldn't have taken that free flu shot...)

I know I'm supposed to ask about Red cards, but do people actually take the time to do that during their crazy BF shopping? I've never left the house on a BF, it's not something I would ever participate in, I have no idea what to expect here aside from those videos of people getting trampled or killed over the latest Elmo doll.

I know about scheduled shifts on the register, but I always wait until my line is short, shut off my light, and finish out the few people left in line, timing it so that I go on break as close to my scheduled time as possible. On BF, I assume there will be no end to the lines, so will they have someone come up and take over my register for my break? As rude as guests are about cashiers taking breaks on normal days, I expect to get lynched for trying to take one on BF.

There are exceptions too. College students can pretty much have that time off as many of them either can't live in their dorms or live far away. They're giving me both Thanksgiving and Black Friday and Christmas week off because it's only a part time job for me and since I do my work so well they give in to my demands.

Everything will have been planned out. If your store is anywhere near as competent as most then they'll have breaks scheduled down to the T so someone will come in to replace you unless it's slowing down. Some stores will have everyone on deck, others will have already scheduled their flow team to come in Friday night for trucks, etc. Remember that flow generally makes up a good chunk of staff roster and they may have already been planned to be used elsewhere. Black Friday is the only day of the year you'll generally see all registers being utilized at once (the weekend before Christmas is the only other exception for that as far as I can recall).

And yes, you will be expected to push Red Cards, even harder than usual. I remember last year my store having a goal of 150 and us beating it by 50 more.

@softlines ninja: Starbux should open when the store does. If you're on good terms with the SBTMs, they might fix you a cup before opening:)
@white rat: BF is a PRIMO day for pushing redcards simply because they're there early to get good deals & a redcard takes an additional 5% off so practice your pitch & push. It should be like shooting fish in a barrel.

ah.... only if my store had these intelligent looking guests ... lol
1108-bf13_full_600.jpg

7:45 pm to 4:15 am in electronics thursday then i get friday off, I dont really do much for thanksgiving so working those psycho crazy nights are fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back