Archived NYC store robbed at Gunpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can those airlocks be depressurized by pressing a button in the office? That's a feature they should add with all remodels going forward

superstore-target-CONTENT-2018.jpg

Ours have money locked in the bag area of one of the registers. It's where they get the money when cashiers or starbucks requested for cash. Maybe that's the safe the article was talking about? I sometimes see our GSTL counting it in the morning.
We have that as well but there is where close to 50K in it.

Hmmm...after reading this thread, I was never told what to do in the instance of having a person with a weapon demanding money (while cashiering esp, I would presume). Is there some best practice protocol on what to do?

Hmmm...after reading this thread, I was never told what to do in the instance of having a person with a weapon demanding money (while cashiering esp, I would presume). Is there some best practice protocol on what to do?

Do what the person says and try to remember as much as possible.

Ok..thanks...I would think this would be standard during orientation to tell new tm's. I just realized I was never trained on this.

Ok..thanks...I would think this would be standard during orientation to tell new tm's. I just realized I was never trained on this.
in my store theres a poster that says what to do in that kind of situation in tsc

ap also goes over it in huddles every now and then

Inside job.

I don’t work in the NYC area, but from what I do know of the area is most of those stores are very high volume, along with high risk/high theft.

Pretty sure that store would’ve had some sort of “airlock system” in place leading to the CO. Meaning one door, then a hallway/vestibule, then another door. At no point should both doors be opened at the same time.

And this really isn’t a new stores have it and old stores don’t. My first store I worked at was pretty old and had this sort of set up. Many large retailers use it.

I work in the NYC area. The opposite is true. The older stores had double rooms. Remofel changed some stores up. The GSTLs had access to the first room but the second room with the safe can only be open by aaSr.TL, ETL, and above.

I can also say this is an inside Job and not the first store in NY robbed. I'm pretty sure they'll be caught.

From what I understand, these guys had to have had a key to get into the doors, and known where to go. Realistically, I don’t think it’ll be long before they find the guys once they are start tracking stuff back.

The stolen amount reported by some as 140k is incorrect and the 50k amount is more correct. They most likely took a deposit bag and whatever other cash was in the safe.

I love how the article says "Manhattan"... that's the Bronx, huge difference, and a much sketchier area. Also - I'm fairly sure the store had a secured vestibule/man trap.

Granted, your right, but Manhattan is 3 blocks away, and while there are projects around, I wouldn’t say that area is a much sketchier area. Just busy, and super high traffic. It is one of the biggest Targets in the company by volume though.

And yeah someone was saying old stores don’t have a man trap, but a lot do, unless your in some really crazy old store that never got a remodel in the 2000s.

Give them whatever they ask for. Try to remember physical details as much as possible.

Do not try to be a hero.

Give them whatever they ask for. Try to remember physical details as much as possible.

Do not try to be a hero.

This is correct. The other store in NY was in the Long Island area. It got hit multiple times within a few weeks. One of the GSAs tried to be a hero and got roughed up.

At the end of the day it's not your money, it's insured, and your safety is more important. Give them what they ask for and let them leave.

There's zero details in any article I've seen on it. If someone has a link with more info, please share.

It likely was someone with inside knowledge, but that doesn't mean the inside person was the manager. I'm sure I'm not the only person in Target who had need for someone in the cash office and knocked on the door. I'm sure I'm not working at the only Target that sometimes doesn't have enough radios for everyone. So a halfway smart crook that got the code somehow could simply dress in red and khaki, take advantage of the fact that Target is perpetually hiring to pass as a new person, knock on the door and then show a gun when the door is opened. Once a gun is pointed right at you, would you be the hero and refuse to open the inner door? Or would you say "Go right ahead" and hope that's sufficient niceness for them to not shoot you along the way?

If it happens in my store, I will try to be a hero.

BUT.... I hate how Spot and really any department store will say "money is replaceable, you arent replaceable"

We are replaced all the time.

We're not replaceable in that situation only because it may cost them more in a law suit from the family. So it actually is about the money.

Also, to cooperate with the robber is store policy. In this instance, you can (and probably will) be terminated for not following store policy. No coachings. No warnings.

In and out in 10 minutes. Door unlocked. TM just sitting there. Dude wearing khaki pants. Hmmmmmm.

Please tell me that I didn't see that right. Was the chick at the desk near the safe simply sitting there reading paperwork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back