Archived Oct13-15 job opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to go for an interview tomorrow morning, and I was wondering if Food service or backroom would be the best? Itll be my first job and im unsure of what to expect

Im going to go for an interview tomorrow morning, and I was wondering if Food service or backroom would be the best? Itll be my first job and im unsure of what to expect

Depends, how old are you? You might be offered a cashier/front end position. A food ave position is also a strong possibility starting. Later on, you may be able to cross train into other food areas or backroom. Food Ave would be a great start to moving onto grocery since it is also a food area.

However, don't think it's not possible to get hired directly into Backroom or the Grocery team as your first job, just do what you want, and if they want you, they'll offer you a position and wage and you just have to accept or decline. Goodluck!

Depends, how old are you

Yep, depending on state laws, minors might be limited to only cashier and sales floor. At my store, any position that involves heavy machinery is off-limits to them. Cafe/Starbucks also requires recommended 18+.

Last edited:
Oh man, my Food Ave and Starbucks is basically all 16-17 year olds, they'd be out of business without them lmao.

lol

Yeah, it sucks. A lot of minors are interested in Starbucks and Cafe at my store. If they turn 18 within a month though, we offer to hire them as cashier or sales floor and then transfer them over.

Food service is a better first job. Easier and you can always move areas if you get bored with it.

Backroom is pretty stressful if you don't have job experience and learn to prioritize task.

I haven't been around very long and I've really only done hardlines, but I think food service would definitely be easier for a first job. Backroom has a lot of stuff going on, and I'm pretty sure a lot of what I've learned in hardlines will probably also apply to backroom in addition to more stuff. That being said, if you think you'd find it easier to be in motion regularly, then backroom would definitely be the way to go.

Because you won't be able to use the Crown, compactor, or even the WAVE, food service will be the most likely position. That is, of course, dependent upon your age.

Our Starbucks & Cafe have several minors without problem since both areas close a couple hours before the store does so they're out before the cut-off time.
Our state doesn't have any laws forbidding the use of food service equipment by minors, tho, only equipment like the baler, compactor, etc.

Last edited:
Our Starbucks & Cafe have several minors without problem since both areas close a couple hours before the store does so there out before the cut-off time.

Our state doesn't have any laws forbidding the use of food service equipment by minors, tho, only equipment like the baler, compactor, etc.

Yeah, my state has really strict laws regarding employment in general. When it comes to minors, it is even more strict. Some parts of the law say that minors can use certain types of equipment and then other parts of it are contradicting. I usually just leave it up to whoever is my current ETL-HR to decide how they want to do it. My past HR Leaders played it safe, I guess. It is a definite no for minors using backroom and cart attendant machinery though.

Last edited:
Food service is a better first job. Easier and you can always move areas if you get bored with it.

Backroom is pretty stressful if you don't have job experience and learn to prioritize task.

Backroom is my first job out of high school and it's not that stressful if you can manage your time. You have to make sure to do task fast and efficiently while be (somewhat) safe. You need to gauge how long it should take you to finish the tasks in the time given. For the first month, you'll be stressed but you'll get a handle of it. If you're not 18, you will likely be assigned for cashier or food services since you need to be 18+ to use backroom equipment.

At least at my store the Food Ave hours were not regular so they would change week by week depending on the hours the store had to hand out. It sucked because I could be working 30 hours one week and 15 the next because HR decided to only open the cafe for like 5 hours a day. If your store doesn't have regular Food Service hours I would go for Backroom. Probably better hours lol

Food service since this is your first job. As others have said other areas are age restricted including Backroom.

backroom shouldnt be a thing you can apply for unless we absolutely need someone desperately....gotta keep shit orderly and newbies arent great for that...to be fair tho Ive known tms who were there for 5 years who tried backroom and gave up after seeing how much you need to be on your toes and think...

Where ever you go or where ever you end up, just have a positive attitude, be as helpful to guests and TM’s as you can be, and always ask for help if you don’t know something. Good luck!

How did everyone's hiring event go? We hired a grand total of none...

I got hired last week and I am just wondering, how long they would call me for orientation?

How did everyone's hiring event go? We hired a grand total of none...

Don't want to give myself away but double digits every day I'm in a lower income area this year and it's crazy how many people were looking for work. At my store last year we had maybe 6 over 3 days.

I got hired last week and I am just wondering, how long they would call me for orientation?

Depends on the position. If it's just in time team member (packer for sfs) it could be up to a month. Other positions probably first week of november since the hours go up

Depends on the position. If it's just in time team member (packer for sfs) it could be up to a month. Other positions probably first week of november since the hours go up

Thanks for the information HRZone. Got hired as a Cashier and the HR was going to put me somewhere else too.... I sign up for Cashier or Seasonal Cashier at the location, but how do I know which position I got hired. On the conditional job offer said Cashier.

Thanks for the information HRZone. Got hired as a Cashier and the HR was going to put me somewhere else too.... I sign up for Cashier or Seasonal Cashier at the location, but how do I know which position I got hired. On the conditional job offer said Cashier.

If you are seasonal you would have signed a seasonal addendum acknowledging such. You can also just ask HR if you are seasonal or not.

As a cashier I think you will be onboarded sooner than later.

If you are seasonal you would have signed a seasonal addendum acknowledging such. You can also just ask HR if you are seasonal or not.

As a cashier I think you will be onboarded sooner than later.

I got hired on the spot and HR gave me the conditional job offer form. Is this meant I am not a seasonal employee or I will know once they let me know when my orientation is. I receive an email Sunday and my orientaion was this tuesday, but she told me to ignore it since they will call me for my orientation date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back