Archived Old media in lockup, what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl8baller

Wild Card TM
I've recently taken up the task of working discontinued out of the electronics lock-up in the backroom. I have security and tax software dating back to 2010, games from 2012, music CDs from 2013 and so on. Its a bit difficult selling someone Norton 2010 or Quicken 2009 now a days, so what can I do with it? It doesn't pop up on reverse logistic's MIR, backroom team lead isn't sure, and my ETL's aren't sure. So um yeah, anyone interested in Turbo Tax 2013?

Also, I've received some feedback from team members that flexing out product will make MIR a little difficult, any way to make things a little easier without making it too complicated?

Here's what you do.

content.php

I've recently taken up the task of working discontinued out of the electronics lock-up in the backroom. I have security and tax software dating back to 2010, games from 2012, music CDs from 2013 and so on. Its a bit difficult selling someone Norton 2010 or Quicken 2009 now a days, so what can I do with it? It doesn't pop up on reverse logistic's MIR, backroom team lead isn't sure, and my ETL's aren't sure. So um yeah, anyone interested in Turbo Tax 2013?

Also, I've received some feedback from team members that flexing out product will make MIR a little difficult, any way to make things a little easier without making it too complicated?

If it's WAY old with almost no chance of selling, and it's not salvage, my TL and ETL decided to open the software just enough to where it had to be defected. We only did this on like 5 of our 300 old media though. The rest we shoved way atop a BR shelf and are pretending it's not there. This is way outside of best practice, but like you, we can't sell TurboTax 2011.

It's all stuff that was on MIRs years ago so you won't be able to find the information on the return (Well, if your receiver is good on their paperwork, you might be able to find it but that would be a major waste of time).

Are the OH's correct? If they're 0 or less, just destroy/toss them. If OH's are accurate, you can do 1 of 3 things:
1) Defect (They would probably have to go to the CRC so AP may have a problem with this)
2) SIM (You'll probably need to do it at least twice to get a low enough mark down).
3) Research to 0 OH and destroy/toss (Depending on your quantities, this may be the most favorable. We did this when cleaning out our D-Code gift cards. There's no way in hell I'm defecting 700+ subway cards).

See what MySupport says to do with them? If they were never MIR'd in the past, they could issue a MIR for them.

Cd's worked them out to the floor. Video games put them all out on Black Friday & hope they sell. Movies will get scanned back. Gift cards work them out during Christmas. Presells, I would to throw away, but can't do it. The tax stuff should of been sent back.

Last edited:
Don't throw away pre-sells! Those drop on MIRs but they batch them so it only happens every couple of months. If you have super old ones, toss them but if they're under 6 months old, keep them stowed.

I know somewhere on workbench their is a list of dpci's of gift cards/presells/ phone cards that don't get sent back or counted in inventory so those can be thrown away

I know somewhere on workbench their is a list of dpci's of gift cards/presells/ phone cards that don't get sent back or counted in inventory so those can be thrown away
I used to have a copy of that before my last notebook clean out(By the way, a small notebook for the back pocket is the best thing ever). There's actually very few cards within the parameters of that list. Most cards are counted.

With pre-sell cards I would just toss them, I know they might need them for MIRs later but reverse logistics can just key it in because all pre-sell card MIRs tell you to destroy anyways (I have actually stopped looking for these cards when I do the these MIRs b/c it is easier to key them in and tell elec. to just toss them after the game comes out).
For gift cards, I got with my AP-ETL cleaning out the old gift cards and she told me to toss any discontinued ones.
For CDs, I would just leave them unless there are a bunch, they might come up in the return scan.
The computer software should probably be mysupported, that was the answer that was given to me when I asked leadership at my store.

I would not recommended trying to push any of this stuff to the floor (even marked down), it will just sit on an end-cap forever. I would also not toss anything without getting approval from your ETL-AP.

Other than putting them in a specific spot...not really.

Are you flexing out books? A majority of the MIRs are usually books, so that's the only thing that would concern me. The only other things I ever send back on MIRs are movies (usually new releases when we have a bunch or dvds from a checklane shipper). Gift cards are rare.

I also wonder what to do about old software, I have some 2012 tax stuff too. One of our elec tm's flexes out video games, although I wish they would put more out. I've also got a couple thousand discontinued gift cards...

Honestly I wounldn't bother My Supporting and trying to get MIRs to be reissued. PC software that has the Year on it I would defective it out. It maybe "Tossed" anyway, but if its CRC or Salvage go ahead and processed it. After all this is date sensitved to me that is an " Expired " date.Te MIRs for the 2014 tax year have not been issued yet so wait for those MIRs. Very old Cds may take awhile but if located in the Br they will go back on scanback. If they are flexed to the floor it may go back if the browsers are scan during scanback. If the CDs are the old Lifestyle cds that didnt get sent back on MIRs. you may have to defect them out. I dont think they will go back on scanback. Mirs are rarley issued for games and they dont get marked down. That is why Target sent out a "dump bin" I think it was in March? Until HQ does something to help clear out disc games we are stuck with it. We have alot of them!!!!! As far as Gift cards there really does need to be clearer information on them from HQ. The cards really have no finacial value until sold. But MIRs are issued for Ameica Visa and the Reservation cards but not for the Cards for online purchases and the vast retail and resturant cards that we sell. I would keep them at least 6 months but just throw out the older ones. As far as trying to sweep any of this mdse the first rule of Sweeping is, it i must be a full case in the orignal box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back