what to wear?

hey, i’ve been working at target for a while now and i see people starting to wear leggings to work. i never see them being spoken to or anything, but i was strictly advised to not wear them. i literally have nothing else to wear today and i have leggings but i don’t want to get spoken to. help lol!

hey, i’ve been working at target for a while now and i see people starting to wear leggings to work. i never see them being spoken to or anything, but i was strictly advised to not wear them. i literally have nothing else to wear today and i have leggings but i don’t want to get spoken to. help lol!

Keep in mind a few things;

1) Just because you haven't seen them being talked to, doesn't mean they haven't been.
Some people are willing to keep pushing the limit because the job doesn't matter that much to them so they will do what they want until they get fired.
It takes a while to get fired for something that stupid especially if they do a good job otherwise.

2) On the subject of doing a good job. It's possible those other people are top performers so the bosses cut them slack.
Which isn't fair but as hard as it is to keep good workers right now... it's a thing.

3) Or they are a pet employee. This doesn't happen as often people think but it happens enough to screw things up for everybody.

4) So, I'd follow @Tessa120 advice about grabbing a pair of jeans.

Last edited:
Yeah, just follow the rules in the handbook. Most of the leaders we have are very fickle. I'm group recognized as Best Receiver/ RLE in our group but my bo"Bosses" are just looking for any excuse. I still wear khaki's and red... this coampany has gotten very cliquish so be careful

Since your leadership told you not to wear them, don’t take a chance. If it ticks your leaders off enough they can coach you and send you home to change.

I echo everyone above there is zero proof those peoole havent been coached on their clothes. Even if they havent yet because of holidays they will when thinga get more steict and leaders have more time for petty thinga like uniform innthe hour drooa coming. Best to air on the side of caution and not give them a reason to target you.

Considering what TMs at my store get away with when it comes to not complying with dress code, leggings might not raise many TL or ETL eyebrows but it definitely would with some TMs. Depends who you work with maybe.
I'm more the old school khaki and red or burgundy shirt type, but I've seen so many things not even close to "khakis or jeans & red shirt" dress code that I'm not sure my store really has much of a dress code anymore. (Although now that I think about it, there was a cashier who was really pretty far out there with her make-up and jewelry choices in addition to her clothing and she hasn't been around the last few weeks. It was remotely okay for Halloween, but she kept it going way beyond that. Some little kids were overheard making comments that she was kind of scary-looking. And she was to some adults too.)
If you've specifically been told to not wear leggings, then it seems like a good idea not to. To do otherwise is akin to flipping off whoever told you that.

My store is pretty loose about enforcing the dress code during the holidays, particularly for seasonals unless things become too outrageous, the feeling being that most seasonals are there for only a short time and expecting them to shell out a lot of money they probably need for other things to buy clothes isn‘t a priority. Rules are enforced more strictly on regular TMs, but not as strictly as during the slow seasons. It’s not all about giving seasonals a break, leadership also has a million other things to get done, doesn’t want to take time to address these things and can’t afford to lose anyone over the dress code. Of course, if a leader does see something being worn that violates the dress code and addresses it to a TM, that TM will be on paper if they wear it again, not for dress code violation but for failure to follow. As soon as the holiday season is over and the seasonals are let go, this semi-amnesty goes with them, leadership once again has time to nitpick and all those Mickey Mouse rules are fully enforced again. Forewarned is forearmed.
DF3F189B-26B9-489F-BAC4-A3AB3B669E08.jpeg

Back