OM Starting Pay

Hi All —

I have an opportunity to become an OM — external hire. Was wondering if you all had any insight into the starting pay? Also, any thoughts on the job in general, and the opportunity for advancement?

Thank you for any help.

At my building, about half of the om’s leave after 3 months. Idk about pay, but have heard it isn’t that great to start. A tm working a little ot could make more and they work long hours.

At my building, about half of the om’s leave after 3 months. Idk about pay, but have heard it isn’t that great to start. A tm working a little ot could make more and they work long hours.

I was told the normal hours would be 4 10 hour days. But I guess that is subject to change. Any other reason you could think of for why people leave so frequently?

So I'm a TM who was promoted to OM. Every TM who says you can make the same money as a TM with OT is wrong unless they're working 60 hour work weeks and never do anything else with their lives. Believe me I did it.

Started around 70k. And one of the interns who onboarded told me they started around 65k. Range runs from 60 to 100k depending on experience. Hope that answers your question.

So I'm a TM who was promoted to OM. Every TM who says you can make the same money as a TM with OT is wrong unless they're working 60 hour work weeks and never do anything else with their lives. Believe me I did it.

Started around 70k. And one of the interns who onboarded told me they started around 65k. Range runs from 60 to 100k depending on experience. Hope that answers your question.

Definitely helpful. Thank you. Do you have any general thoughts about the job? Do you like it? What about earning the respect of the TM's? Being external and younger I want to foster a good working relationship.

I'm not an om but it's easy to tell its a very sink or swim attitude at my location in regard to om's.

You mostly deal with overworked people with already shitty attitudes. Earning respect is always a fine line of being an actual understanding person while still expecting people to work while holding them accountable.

People will always test you just to see what you are willing to let them get away with. Its a poor analogy but I always felt more like a parent while managing than an actual manager.

Most mangament positions I have been in are very push pull, meaning you will be told quality and safety are important. However you will feel like prod is all that matters to anyone.

Definitely helpful. Thank you. Do you have any general thoughts about the job? Do you like it? What about earning the respect of the TM's? Being external and younger I want to foster a good working relationship.

I love it. Its definitely a lot of work. But the biggest thing is figuring out your routines every day and having a good one. The team is definitely going to test you but just be honest with them and be a person.

I've been with Target for a decade now and its like any other job you get what you put in. My favorite leaders were always the ones who one-on-one just cut the bullshit and were just willing to talk to you like a human being with it was coaching or recognition or just talking.

Hardest part for externals is just learning both the culture and the job. Whereas I just needed to learn the job. You will work longer days than TMs. Assume two extra hours a day for whatever shift you are on. Still only a 40-48 hour work day for 3 or 4 days a week.

What is an "OM?"

Operation Manager. Pretty much the lowest level manager mainly in charge of checking on and babysitting the people that need someone to make sure they stay working. They also end up having to help do the job of the ones they are managing except I've never seen a manager on power equipment.

Operation Manager. Pretty much the lowest level manager mainly in charge of checking on and babysitting the people that need someone to make sure they stay working. They also end up having to help do the job of the ones they are managing except I've never seen a manager on power equipment.

They are not allowed to use PIT equipment.

If i recall correctly the training is really only considered a "familiarization" with the equipment. Basically enough knowledge on how to turn it on and its basic functions but not to the point of having to actually use it.

Om’s work roughly 52 hours a week (at least b1 om’s in my building) and a new om is making $75k (including a presumptive 5% bonus and having warehouse managing experience). That equates to about 27.75 an hour. I make more than that per hour, so a little ot (or lots with mando) and I’m making $85k.

Om’s work roughly 52 hours a week (at least b1 om’s in my building) and a new om is making $75k (including a presumptive 5% bonus and having warehouse managing experience). That equates to about 27.75 an hour. I make more than that per hour, so a little ot (or lots with mando) and I’m making $85k.
Assuming you're a TM?

Yep. Weve had money people not take the position because of this.

Get everything in writing which is what I tell everyone looking for a job.

Remember that interviews are two way streets so you are interviewing them too.

I would also ask what is the work experience of your team you are managing.

Years ago I did engineering full time and refused jobs once I found out none of my team and had any work experience.

You also posted on a thread that's over a year old. OMs always get a raise every year. And its not unheard of to get more than 1. I'm a-keys and I'm not working 52 hours a week. 39-45 is usually the range and I don't bring work home.

You also posted on a thread that's over a year old. OMs always get a raise every year. And its not unheard of to get more than 1. I'm a-keys and I'm not working 52 hours a week. 39-45 is usually the range and I don't bring work home.
At my DC all OMs arrive 2 hours prior to start of shift and stay at least 1 hours after for meetings and whatnot.
So A OMs at minimum work the 45 hours. B key OMs are the same and end up working the 52 hours.
I know for fact we start at $60k for no experience.

Some of the more experienced OMs we have are making $80k/year salary.
Meanwhile working the same 46 hours (for a half day of OT) I make $61k, 52 hours per week i would be making $72k, and working the full 60 (as i currently am) its $87k.
This is not taking into account potential shift differentials since I am on B key. An A1 TM under you working the 46 would be making an additional $5k more aka $66k for the same hours as an A1 OM.

A great example of how OM pay is, we had a Amazon shift manager apply and start working at our DC (both in the same state). She said she took a large pay loss to come to Target because she disliked Amazon. The average pay for that position is reported to be $77k salary. She came to Target with 15 years experience in warehousing management.

I'm not sure why people compare the income for both so often. I hear people all the time claim how they'd never be an om because they wouldn't technically make more.

Ive also heard OM's complain that some TM's earn more than they do.

The differences aren't just based on income. The managed don't always make less than their respective managers. What is different are their responsibilities, and in the case of OM vs TM you are trading physical stress and personal responsibility for mental stress and responsibility for your department/AOR.

Also most TM are content with their current role whereas most OM's are trying to obtain more responsibilities/non OPS roles *PC, TOM, ICQAL, CI, ect...* as for most DC's I've heard of you won't be direct hired into these roles without first being a successful OPS OM. Then going on to Senior leadership and I can tell you a warehouse worker isn't making as much as an SOM/OD.

I'm not sure why people compare the income for both so often. I hear people all the time claim how they'd never be an om because they wouldn't technically make more.

Ive also heard OM's complain that some TM's earn more than they do.

The differences aren't just based on income. The managed don't always make less than their respective managers. What is different are their responsibilities, and in the case of OM vs TM you are trading physical stress and personal responsibility for mental stress and responsibility for your department/AOR.

Also most TM are content with their current role whereas most OM's are trying to obtain more responsibilities/non OPS roles *PC, TOM, ICQAL, CI, ect...* as for most DC's I've heard of you won't be direct hired into these roles without first being a successful OPS OM. Then going on to Senior leadership and I can tell you a warehouse worker isn't making as much as an SOM/OD.

The OM role is a career position that allows for growth either internally or externally. The majority of WWs will never move beyond unskilled manual labor. Yes, it’s unskilled labor. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never held a skilled job.

In 2012 there were two SGLs (SOMs) at my DC who made more that $125k plus bonuses. Several GLs were earning $75k or more. I imagine the executives earn significantly more than that now. Many of the executives I knew have moved up to GM or higher level positions at TGT and other companies.

I sure as hell wouldn’t want to work 60 hours a week doing mindless manual labor to make $85k. You’re right, most WWs are content to move boxes for decades. I found the work to be about as mentally stimulating as watching paint dry.

It doesn’t change the fact that it isn’t all that difficult to out earn om’s. Working 1 shift of ot (if I were on a keys) I would make $82,500 for 46 hours and having 3 days off.

It doesn’t change the fact that it isn’t all that difficult to out earn om’s. Working 1 shift of ot (if I were on a keys) I would make $82,500 for 46 hours and having 3 days off.

An OM who graduated from a good university is beginning a career. A WW can look forward to moving boxes around for many years.

I just looked up a former executive I knew who began as a GL-IT in 2004. Fifteen years later she became a VP of Logistics and Strategy at another retailer. Many other GLs I knew have had similar career growth.

Back