Archived Oops, our Backroom broke. Can we fix it? (BR advice please?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unreturnable

Receiving/Reverse Logistics
I'm a relatively new Target team member, less than 5 months working and all in the backroom except one single shift. I literally started the day of my orientation - was asked if I could backstock for six hours after the session, and needing money I agreed. Put my orientation papers into a locker, put on my nametag and went back to find three TLs and a number of TMs from other sections frantically trying to put away a truck at 10:30 or 11am, with probably a dozen full pallets still sitting out. At the time of course I didn't know this was a ridiculously bad situation, or that none of these people should even be there, I was just happy to be working already.

I understand no one can assess our problems without seeing the location and our reports, I was just hoping someone might have some insight into what we could do better or differently - or if this is just normal. I've always been a hard worker, and I take pride in my work, still I feel kind of embarassed as a pretty new TM asking for help for our backroom, obviously not my job but I want my situation to improve.

Here's the breakdown:
-At 5 months employment only one other backroom member has been there longer - beats me by 1 month, so there's no one to ask for advice except our TLs.
-Backroom TL was never a backroom TM - (s)he is a great worker and TL but doesn't know any handy backroom tricks. Like...we never set up extra space for seasonal or toys this year, so wound up stocking them each in about 6 aisles totally random and intermixed with other fillgroups. Huge pain to pull.
-Minimum 5 TMs a shift, with seasonal we've had up to 7 or 8 a night.
-Getting trucks around 2500 pieces 5 days a week regular, with the holidays it's every day, high so far is around 2900, low on a weird day was 1700. Not sure what sales category we're in but it's reasonably up there.
-Was informed we have around 1800 errors in our backroom. Pull times are decent as far as I can tell, but seasonal certainly isn't helping with accuracy or speed.
-Backroom has been clean 3 times in 5 months, often we have 30+ vehicles of backstock trailing out the door and far onto the sales floor that we have to find space for somewhere in the back when we leave. Sometimes we don't leave, though - numerous weeks the better TMs have been asked to stay for 12 hour shifts and gotten 10 to 20 hours in overtime. We like the money, but we'd much rather be a functional backroom.

I know having no experienced members hurts a *lot* - like I kept trying to put away a full pallet by myself, climbing a ladder 80 times to put away 80 boxes before I realized I could just ask someone to hand them to me and stock a whole shelf in less then a minute. All our Logistics TL ever says is "You're not getting the job done. You're working hard enough, there's something going wrong somewhere. Don't know what it is." No helpful advice from anyone at the store except "follow the process."

So everyday is a stressful encounter and I come home and think about how to improve it. I've been being a lot bossier lately and politely ordering other TMs to work together to get the pallets moved onto shelves, police ourselves, make sure batches don't get abandoned halfway through, but still it's really bad and I want it to improve. Is this a rough patch made worse by new TMs and the holidays, will it get better as the team comes together? Is this a store that's totally a mess and will stay that way? Any opinions or advice?

Thanks for reading if you finished this, appreciate any comments.

Also any backroom advice in general would be awesome. Like I said our TL back there is a great worker, knows most of the technical stuff (though I learned some tricks on the forum that (s)he was unaware of) - but no insight into what's going wrong or how to improve. I feel like Target should have a handbook on how the backroom process should work, as much as they love paperwork, but for some reason we've been left to figure it out ourselves and still get told everyday we're not doing it right. Feeling pretty lost back there.

Things usually get bad during Christmas and you end up being behind most of the time, but your situation sounds extreme. If you are getting overtime, it sounds like your STL isn't properly allocating hours to the logistics processes. How many people do you have working back room on a daily basis, and how many per shift? Another thing you should think about is that if you have that many vehicles of product most of the time, a large percentage of it probably isn't backstock after a day or two. Is it just the trucks that you're having a problem with or pulls as well? Sorry for the random structure of the post.

Also any backroom advice in general would be awesome. Like I said our TL back there is a great worker, knows most of the technical stuff (though I learned some tricks on the forum that (s)he was unaware of) - but no insight into what's going wrong or how to improve. I feel like Target should have a handbook on how the backroom process should work, as much as they love paperwork, but for some reason we've been left to figure it out ourselves and still get told everyday we're not doing it right. Feeling pretty lost back there.

workbench has alot of info on backroom too. get your br certs done first for better understanding of numbers & correct processes.

best answers on page on subt 9999:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/1448-Just-dosen-t-stop-pulling/page3

I'm a relatively new Target team member, less than 5 months working and all in the backroom except one single shift. I literally started the day of my orientation - was asked if I could backstock for six hours after the session, and needing money I agreed. Put my orientation papers into a locker, put on my nametag and went back to find three TLs and a number of TMs from other sections frantically trying to put away a truck at 10:30 or 11am, with probably a dozen full pallets still sitting out. At the time of course I didn't know this was a ridiculously bad situation, or that none of these people should even be there, I was just happy to be working already.

I understand no one can assess our problems without seeing the location and our reports, I was just hoping someone might have some insight into what we could do better or differently - or if this is just normal. I've always been a hard worker, and I take pride in my work, still I feel kind of embarassed as a pretty new TM asking for help for our backroom, obviously not my job but I want my situation to improve.

Here's the breakdown:
-At 5 months employment only one other backroom member has been there longer - beats me by 1 month, so there's no one to ask for advice except our TLs.
-Backroom TL was never a backroom TM - (s)he is a great worker and TL but doesn't know any handy backroom tricks. Like...we never set up extra space for seasonal or toys this year, so wound up stocking them each in about 6 aisles totally random and intermixed with other fillgroups. Huge pain to pull.
-Getting trucks around 2500 pieces 5 days a week regular, with the holidays it's every day, high so far is around 2900, low on a weird day was 1700. Not sure what sales category we're in but it's reasonably up there.
-Was informed we have around 1800 errors in our backroom. Pull times are decent as far as I can tell, but seasonal certainly isn't helping with accuracy or speed.
-Backroom has been clean 3 times in 5 months, often we have 30+ vehicles of backstock trailing out the door and far onto the sales floor that we have to find space for somewhere in the back when we leave. Sometimes we don't leave, though - numerous weeks the better TMs have been asked to stay for 12 hour shifts and gotten 10 to 20 hours in overtime. We like the money, but we'd much rather be a functional backroom.

I know having no experienced members hurts a *lot* - like I kept trying to put away a full pallet by myself, climbing a ladder 80 times to put away 80 boxes before I realized I could just ask someone to hand them to me and stock a whole shelf in less then a minute. All our Logistics TL ever says is "You're not getting the job done. You're working hard enough, there's something going wrong somewhere. Don't know what it is." No helpful advice from anyone at the store except "follow the process."

So everyday is a stressful encounter and I come home and think about how to improve it. I've been being a lot bossier lately and politely ordering other TMs to work together to get the pallets moved onto shelves, police ourselves, make sure batches don't get abandoned halfway through, but still it's really bad and I want it to improve. Is this a rough patch made worse by new TMs and the holidays, will it get better as the team comes together? Is this a store that's totally a mess and will stay that way? Any opinions or advice?

It sounds like a broken replenishment process to me, not limited to only the backroom not getting their workload done... When this happens, it is above a single team member (and even probably just the backroom team) and needs to be handled by the Log TL, ETL-LOG, or even the STL if it is that bad! Logistics is a vicious cycle... once you get it great it should stay that way, but as soon as something goes wrong it will build on itself until someone stops it or it hits rock bottom!

Here's the breakdown:

Aaah this sounds very similar to the situation that we got ourselves in a few months back. Essentially, we had a very elite backroom team. This was a very difficult team to penetrate, and they some how managed all of the work no matter the workload in fast times. We were actually top backroom in the company for the year I was there with these guys. Then, we had a huge turnover. We lost every backroom flow team member besides one experienced team member along with myself. I was actually more of the backroom "fill in"guy because I had expressed enjoying the job a great deal, and they knew I could keep up with their team.

Anyway, in the matter of about two weeks or so that we lost our team, I ended up filling in. I had to learn almost everything after really just having experience doing backstock a few times, and pulling a few days on no-truck days. I learned quickly, but I had to learn quick enough so that I could start training our new backroom guys. Let me tell you, the situation got terrible. However, our Log-ETL addressed us, we were asked to help doing this. He diligently worked to fix all of our errors and bring us back green bar, but out of all of the strategies we learned to fix errors, there was one thing and one thing only that helped us above all.

LOCU - this command is probably the most powerful command a backroom can use. We learned that, although LOCU has some great uses, that it has a great deal more than what is was likely intended for. The first use I find this good for is when putting up a pallet. The command clears the pallet of anything that may show up in the place, and then if you have a striped pallet you can easily enter in the stock using the end part of the command.

Now, what we found you can use LOCU for was quite interesting. It seems like you can essentially bypass an error when pulling. Rather than using M-delete, back out of your PDA and go in to LOCU. Use the command to clear the waco/shelf/pallet space, what have you, and then accurately scan everything on the shelf. Make sure you're accurate! I always rezone the shelf, make sure every UPC is facing out and double check my quantities. Once you've fully updated what is REALLY on your shelf, you can proceed in to your pulls. If it was going to be an M-delete error, this will fix any ghosts in a proactive way, and update any items that may have had wrong counts or were simply not scanned in.

Besides this, you have to be proactive about fixing other errors as well. Some if this is simple knowledge for a TM though, knowing things like fill groups is a good start. If you notice something is out of its fill group, again, LOCU the location, remove the item that does not belong and bring the item to the proper fill group. The reason I use LOCU in this case is that, if somebody put something in this waco wrong... what else has gone on here? Is there any ghosts? Again, LOCU fixes this problem. You can fix the location then and there to full accuracy.

Also, if you are backstocking and an item comes up in multiple locations, see if you can condense the items to a single location, if not, rather than having one in area A and one in area G, dry to condense it to two locations that are next to each other.

A great deal of these tips eat up a great deal of hours, and you will have to be ready to have strong team members who can take the extra time to fix accuracy issues AND their normal job. I spent weeks doing this with other backroom TM's, and it took a while to get everyone on board but once you do it does not take long to get accuracy. We are again #1 accuracy in our district consistently, and doing great. We no longer have to fix the number of issues we were fixing before, but now that we have fixed most of then we simply fix errors as they come. It does not occupy a great deal of time for us to fix our errors and keep accuracy now that we are used to it.

Anyway, hope our little story helps you fix your errors. I know there isn't a whole lot a TM can do, but a Log-TL can't fix everything by himself either. We should know, ours tried, and hes amazing... but it takes a dedicated team. If your team does the right things to fix accuracy, I'd argue that one could fix a large amount of errors within a week or two.

Just remember to pay attention to your prompts on the gun; that alone should make your own personal error-rate go down. Also, use Shift+7 to save time; it allows you to toggle between 2 apps (im usually flipping between pull and sto or subt), though some functions un-toggle-able, like locu. On the plus side, the Q4 backroom chaos is almost over. Soon, your backroom should be going through bounceback, where all aisles will have the profiles dropped and properly zoned, items that have been put in different-fill group aisles will be re-sto'd in the proper place, and every aisle will be audited, effectively clearing out all the errors. Also remember your priorities, pulls are more important than backstock, even if that means you start getting swamped by the backstock. If it gets as bad as 30+vehicles, team up with your etl's and tl's to see if theres anyone br-cert'd who can help out with backstock.

Does anyone know how to prevent items that have just been backstocked from coming out in the next CAF batch?

Subt 9999 & communication. If it was ptm, go find pusher of cafs & let them have it! No backstocking allowed.

Last edited:
Subt 9999 & communication. If it was ptm, go find pusher of cafs & let them have it! No a stock allowed.

We are not allowed to do that anymore at my store. Everybody has been told don't do it. If you do, and they catch you, it's a coaching.

Subt 9999 & communication. If it was ptm, go find pusher of cafs & let them have it! No a stock allowed.

It's not ptm, just backstock that was not done overnight. We were only allowed to use subt 9999 during the remodel. TBH, I don't remember exactly how to do it but I don't understand why we can't. It seems to me if we put one person on just backstocking using subt 9999, it would prevent the endless cycle of BS.

Aaah this sounds very similar to the situation that we got ourselves in a few months back. Essentially, we had a very elite backroom team. This was a very difficult team to penetrate, and they some how managed all of the work no matter the workload in fast times. We were actually top backroom in the company for the year I was there with these guys. Then, we had a huge turnover. We lost every backroom flow team member besides one experienced team member along with myself. I was actually more of the backroom "fill in"guy because I had expressed enjoying the job a great deal, and they knew I could keep up with their team.

Anyway, in the matter of about two weeks or so that we lost our team, I ended up filling in. I had to learn almost everything after really just having experience doing backstock a few times, and pulling a few days on no-truck days. I learned quickly, but I had to learn quick enough so that I could start training our new backroom guys. Let me tell you, the situation got terrible. However, our Log-ETL addressed us, we were asked to help doing this. He diligently worked to fix all of our errors and bring us back green bar, but out of all of the strategies we learned to fix errors, there was one thing and one thing only that helped us above all.

LOCU - this command is probably the most powerful command a backroom can use. We learned that, although LOCU has some great uses, that it has a great deal more than what is was likely intended for. The first use I find this good for is when putting up a pallet. The command clears the pallet of anything that may show up in the place, and then if you have a striped pallet you can easily enter in the stock using the end part of the command.

Now, what we found you can use LOCU for was quite interesting. It seems like you can essentially bypass an error when pulling. Rather than using M-delete, back out of your PDA and go in to LOCU. Use the command to clear the waco/shelf/pallet space, what have you, and then accurately scan everything on the shelf. Make sure you're accurate! I always rezone the shelf, make sure every UPC is facing out and double check my quantities. Once you've fully updated what is REALLY on your shelf, you can proceed in to your pulls. If it was going to be an M-delete error, this will fix any ghosts in a proactive way, and update any items that may have had wrong counts or were simply not scanned in.

Besides this, you have to be proactive about fixing other errors as well. Some if this is simple knowledge for a TM though, knowing things like fill groups is a good start. If you notice something is out of its fill group, again, LOCU the location, remove the item that does not belong and bring the item to the proper fill group. The reason I use LOCU in this case is that, if somebody put something in this waco wrong... what else has gone on here? Is there any ghosts? Again, LOCU fixes this problem. You can fix the location then and there to full accuracy.

Also, if you are backstocking and an item comes up in multiple locations, see if you can condense the items to a single location, if not, rather than having one in area A and one in area G, dry to condense it to two locations that are next to each other.

A great deal of these tips eat up a great deal of hours, and you will have to be ready to have strong team members who can take the extra time to fix accuracy issues AND their normal job. I spent weeks doing this with other backroom TM's, and it took a while to get everyone on board but once you do it does not take long to get accuracy. We are again #1 accuracy in our district consistently, and doing great. We no longer have to fix the number of issues we were fixing before, but now that we have fixed most of then we simply fix errors as they come. It does not occupy a great deal of time for us to fix our errors and keep accuracy now that we are used to it.

Anyway, hope our little story helps you fix your errors. I know there isn't a whole lot a TM can do, but a Log-TL can't fix everything by himself either. We should know, ours tried, and hes amazing... but it takes a dedicated team. If your team does the right things to fix accuracy, I'd argue that one could fix a large amount of errors within a week or two.

Of course you guys are number one in the district if you're locu'ing every error as you pull. You're basically cheating the system and inflating your numbers. There is a reason you can't toggle to locu. If a particular fillgroup has a lot of errors, time should be set aside for the entire fillgroup to get locu'd. Doing this back out to locu bs is such a time waster.

This reminds me of a time when a former STL thought she'd be helpful and pull some pogs in the backroom. At some point she called me over and asked me how to "lowkuu," because she'd forgotten how. She said the product wasn't in location and was going to fix it. I asked her to let me just double check the location first before "lowkuu'ing." Of course, the case the batch wanted pulled was just turned around so the label was on the back of the box.

:facepalm:

I wonder if she had her backroom certification? I know at the time I didn't.

It's not ptm, just backstock that was not done overnight. We were only allowed to use subt 9999 during the remodel. TBH, I don't remember exactly how to do it but I don't understand why we can't. It seems to me if we put one person on just backstocking using subt 9999, it would prevent the endless cycle of BS.

Your leadership probably doesn't trust people to push product to the home location correctly when they kill salesplanners or set planograms. I think that's BS and that they should coach people doing things wrong and let instocks take care of the rest! The amount of time wasted on needless pulls is surreal.

Just remember to pay attention to your prompts on the gun; that alone should make your own personal error-rate go down. Also, use Shift+7 to save time; it allows you to toggle between 2 apps (im usually flipping between pull and sto or subt), though some functions un-toggle-able, like locu. On the plus side, the Q4 backroom chaos is almost over. Soon, your backroom should be going through bounceback, where all aisles will have the profiles dropped and properly zoned, items that have been put in different-fill group aisles will be re-sto'd in the proper place, and every aisle will be audited, effectively clearing out all the errors. Also remember your priorities, pulls are more important than backstock, even if that means you start getting swamped by the backstock. If it gets as bad as 30+vehicles, team up with your etl's and tl's to see if theres anyone br-cert'd who can help out with backstock.
this and if the b/s sits there for a couple of days, start tossing a few pieces on the pulls every hour.

Of course you guys are number one in the district if you're locu'ing every error as you pull. You're basically cheating the system and inflating your numbers.

I don't like the process either, and for the same reason. But this directive came down from the DTL himself, to every store in our district. So...whatever. We are a AA store with less than 20k sq.ft. of space in our backroom. With NO offsite and NO 3rd party storage and NO container...NO supplemental storage whatsoever. Let me TELL you how much time a backroom like ours wastes on this process everyday....

Especially with, I sh*t you not, 12+ DPCIs per waco (twelve).

Are you backroom dayside or overnight? If you're dayside, then I'll tell you that it's always ****ty during the seasonal because overnight can't ever get their **** together, and sales floor is always backed up at the lanes So the pulls stack up. If you're overnight, well then I hate you. jk. But there's nothing you can really do, it's just how it is during this time.

Even for being the fourth quarter the process should not be like that. The DTL should have a special team of people come in to fix that process right away and teach these people BEST PRACTICES. As far as that advice for LOCUing goes, that sounds very unproductive. M delete, if used properly is enough to fix errors while in PULL. Its not the application that causes errors its the person holding the PDA that causes errors. The ETL LOG at this store should be fired along with the STL for allowing the process to be like this. Like another person posted, its probably not just Backroom that is broken but the whole Logistics process.

Are you backroom dayside or overnight? If you're dayside, then I'll tell you that it's always ****ty during the seasonal because overnight can't ever get their **** together, and sales floor is always backed up at the lanes So the pulls stack up. If you're overnight, well then I hate you. jk. But there's nothing you can really do, it's just how it is during this time.

Quit talking bad about your peers in Logistics and help them to succeed. We need to stick together.

Even for being the fourth quarter the process should not be like that. The DTL should have a special team of people come in to fix that process right away and teach these people BEST PRACTICES. As far as that advice for LOCUing goes, that sounds very unproductive. M delete, if used properly is enough to fix errors while in PULL. Its not the application that causes errors its the person holding the PDA that causes errors. The ETL LOG at this store should be fired along with the STL for allowing the process to be like this. Like another person posted, its probably not just Backroom that is broken but the whole Logistics process.

The "special team" had more BRLA errors than we did.

Our backroom has been a hot mess this year during 4Q, our BRTL is on LOA and nobody really is stepping up to take a leadership roll. I've tried to make a point of going back there a few times a day when I'm there to status with them and give some direction, but I can't do it all the time. A lot of the seasonal BRTM are crazy with their pulls. They mix every single department in the store... They call for help with the CAFs at ~7minutes before the hour with 20+ batches left.

I don't like the process either, and for the same reason. But this directive came down from the DTL himself, to every store in our district. So...whatever. We are a AA store with less than 20k sq.ft. of space in our backroom. With NO offsite and NO 3rd party storage and NO container...NO supplemental storage whatsoever. Let me TELL you how much time a backroom like ours wastes on this process everyday....

Especially with, I sh*t you not, 12+ DPCIs per waco (twelve).

Yikes, the DTL actually said specifically to back out of a CAF that has an error you found, and it use LOCU instead of using M-Delete... or did he say to use LOCU more to fix errors in general? I am find with using LOCU to fix errors, but not while you are in a CAF... that is straight up cheating the numbers and I have heard of ETLs getting termed for doing something like that within their own store!

Yikes, the DTL actually said specifically to back out of a CAF that has an error you found, and it use LOCU instead of using M-Delete... or did he say to use LOCU more to fix errors in general? I am find with using LOCU to fix errors, but not while you are in a CAF... that is straight up cheating the numbers and I have heard of ETLs getting termed for doing something like that within their own store!

Yep, he specifically spelled out to all stores that it be done during ANY pull - including schedule CAFs, manual CAFs, and Autofills, in order to fix the error. The reasoning they pass off to us is that "Hey, it fixes any other errors that might also be in that location at the same time, and plus it encourages people to be more accurate, since they're going to really hate having to back out of a batch every single time there's an M-delete situation; they learn to be more careful so they won't have to do that in the future."

But, it really doesn't encourage better accuracy practices. Since LOCU doesn't count towards your baffles, you can be as messy as you want. We routinely see people each week on the overnight team who have 100% accuracy, but 30 baffles, 55 baffles, 42 baffles, 27 baffles, etc. because all of their errors fell under the LOCU column (on the Team Member Location Accuracy report, LOCU errors are ignored in the calculation). If someone was too f*cking stupid to know how to be accurate before, they're still going to be too f*cking stupid to be accurate even during LOCU.

2 weeks ago, One guy in overnight Backroom had 48 baffles in 600 pulls. I understand he's new but that's just terrible, unfortunately the Team leads/ETL's of overnight/dayside didn't even check the score until the end of the following week. Then when we checked this weeks score, he had 430pulls worked, 100 baffles. Our score is now 82 for BRLA. He is no longer working in the backroom, He now does Push/pull. I wonder if I'll find diapers in grocery isles or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back