Archived Open availability vs closed availibility.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I tried searching for an answer but couldn't find anything so here goes..

I am curious as to why someone with closed availability is getting more hours than someone with open availability. I am willing to work mornings and nights but a co-worker of mine who has the same two days off every week and can only work mornings is consistently getting more hours than me.

We did recently get a new TL who now writes the schedule and that is when this started. I can't help but feel that some favoritism is being shown and I want to know if I have a case with HR. Otherwise, what is stopping me from changing my availability? I would definitely be mad if my hours got dropped even more because of it.

Just for clarification, we have both been with Target for at least 2 years and there has been no sign that he is a better worker than I.

Ask your TL about it. Could just be a misunderstanding. Make sure your TL knows you want lots of hours. May seem obvious to you, but not to him. I was scheduling a TM for lots of hours and she was getting frustrated at having too many hours. If that doesn't help, ask your hr. They should be fair in scheduling.

Ask your TL about it. Could just be a misunderstanding. Make sure your TL knows you want lots of hours. May seem obvious to you, but not to him. I was scheduling a TM for lots of hours and she was getting frustrated at having too many hours. If that doesn't help, ask your hr. They should be fair in scheduling.

I thought it was a misunderstanding at first too but I've shown that I will take all the hours I can. I stay late when asked. I come in earlier than scheduled when asked. I'm afraid it's gotta be favoritism just because there are other things too. It seems like he always wants me to backstock coolers while the other team member never has to.

I just don't know how to approach HR about it without sounding bitter or angry with the job but I guess I kind of am..

Edit: another thing I didn't mention is there is another team member with open availability who also is sometimes scheduled for fewer hours but I guess it doesn't bother them as much. Otherwise I'd have some backup..

Go to your hr or etl. Stay calm and state your case. I would point out your open availability, and ask why you get fewer hours. Put them on the spot a little. You might want to mention that the perception is that your TL plays favorites. That way it isn't an accusation. If you say outright that he plays favorites, you may just get a knee jerk denial. Also. I would stick with the hours problem to start, and leave the assignment of tasks for later.

I would talk to your tl to communicate & confirm your availability, first. Sometimes a tl forgets. Watch the schedule & see what happens.

That was happening to me but reverse. I don't have open availability but I get stuff done alot faster than a few with open and that's why they give me the hours. Not saying that's the case for you but maybe they have them doing something that needs more hours and he's faster at? Doesn't hurt to ask the reasoning behind it and then go from there and then respond in a way to where it shows you're just as good at the job.

there has been no sign that he is a better worker than I.
Are you sure everyone sees it that way? I'm not trying to say you're a terrible worker or anything but at our store the main reason that would happen is if they are perceived to be a better worker.

Also, you seem to be a backroom TM and that is one of the few workcenters where a restricted availability doesn't mean anything if it is still open at the times needed most (mornings on truck days).

I wouldn't restrict your availability because while it may not hurt, it certainly won't help you get more hours. Just follow @Yetive's advice and see how it plays out.

One word favoritism. This happens all the time in my store. We have two people that we kept from seasonal one with open availability all day you name it he's available: the other person is only available 8-4 mon-fri. This tm gets about 35 hrs every week while the other who's totally open gets about 25 mostly closing. am really surprised that he hasn't quit yet over it and to make it worse the other tm calls out or is late at least once every other week

I agree you should mention to your tl that you want more hours.

But, let's say it really is favoritism. So? Management has no responsibility to schedule anyone at all. Fair has nothing to do with it.

I know that sounds mean, but I believe it's true.

If it came down to fair, lots of things at Target wouldn't be the way they are.

So yes, mention you want more hours. But if you start saying .... This isn't fair..... I imagine that won't go over very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back