OPU expert to do pth/stowing only

the extra step of taking items off the cart to bag them then put the bags back on the cart wastes time, just give us cart-bag-hold location

I don't know how your opu area is set up, but if it is like ours, you have a few printers set up and you all stand near that and stow near that. By doing the bagging and stowing this new way, you can move away from the standard spot and put bags into empty bins. Do you know how hard it is to find a bag that has one little tube of mascara in a waco that has 20 bags in it?

I don't know how your opu area is set up, but if it is like ours, you have a few printers set up and you all stand near that and stow near that. By doing the bagging and stowing this new way, you can move away from the standard spot and put bags into empty bins. Do you know how hard it is to find a bag that has one little tube of mascara in a waco that has 20 bags in it?
If its anything like my store, while we have enough wacos that we don't normally need to double up in a waco outside of q4, we don't have enough room around the shelving to move our carts around. More than 3 people putting to hold and we're on top of each other and drive up TMs, and we DEFINITELY don't have enough room to take the cart down the aisle with us to find an empty waco.

One option is to keep room on a shelf for a few empty wacos that you borrowed from down one of those aisles. Place a couple orders in that waco, then return it to it's rightful place. Grab another empty and fill it up. I do this for the OPU team when it gets really busy and they are running out of time

Speaking as someone on drive up, this system actually helps us. My flex baggers/stowers are doing a better job of putting all of a guests bags in the same Waco and stowing large items near the Waco where the bags are. This makes my job easier.
yeah thats how its supposed to work, we have so many OPUs though you dont have time finding the "existing hold locations" in the old system you would just put a whole order in a hold location as you bagged out of the cart, in the new system our carts are so full of bags you dont always grab a bag belonging to the same order every time to stow so you just put the bags into the first open hold location you can find to save time leading to orders being more split up in multiple holds than they were before

The other great part about this change is that the one OPU guy who puts the sticker where ever the hell he wants on the bag will suddenly start to care. Sometimes he puts them on the bottom! I've found stickers INSIDE the bag!

yeah thats how its supposed to work, we have so many OPUs though you dont have time finding the "existing hold locations" in the old system you would just put a whole order in a hold location as you bagged out of the cart, in the new system our carts are so full of bags you dont always grab a bag belonging to the same order every time to stow so you just put the bags into the first open hold location you can find to save time leading to orders being more split up in multiple holds than they were before
I’m thankful my flex team so far has pretty good about putting orders together. I know this could change in the future. Heck even half the orders end up together I’d be happy.

Is it true that you can't combine smaller OPUs orders and pick them both at once.

Our grocery orders are USUALLY pretty small.

Agreed. I was off the week this rolled out so Saturday was my first shift putting away OPUs with this new system. I normally pack but SFS was super slow so my TL had me prepping/stowing most of my shift to get the hang of things.

At first I was trying to stow bags in the locations that already had bags from that order, but as things got busier this became more difficult to do. I also think people stop paying attention to existing hold locations because they also show the DRY/CLR/FZR locations on the stow screen, which I don't really need (or care about) if I'm putting away a non-grocery pickup. If it only showed existing SD locations then I think it would be easier to catch.

I came to know about the hold process only yesterday . I did a grocery opu and the batch vanished from the epick once all items got picked !! Nobody told about the change and it just gave some message before vanishing something about hold. Then I had to call someone and understand the new process . For us we have to do both pick and stow . It felt confusing first but is more efficient (I guess). But the cooler/freezer stuff are timed based on temperature and we only get a small window to stow it.

Last edited:
I came to know about the hold process only yesterday . I did a grocery opu and the batch vanished from the epick once all items got picked !! Nobody told about the change and it just gave some message before vanishing something about hold. Then I had to call someone and understand the new process . For us we have to do both pick and stow . It felt confusing first but is more efficient (I guess). But the cooler/freezer stuff are timed based on temperature and we only get a small window to stow it.

Pick your dry and room temp stuff first. Once you touch something cold, your timer drops to 30 minutes. Keep things organized by temp zone. You have to stow cooler first, then freezer.

Pick your dry and room temp stuff first. Once you touch something cold, your timer drops to 30 minutes. Keep things organized by temp zone. You have to stow cooler first, then freezer.
I wonder whether they bothered to share this with our OPU team.

They under staff our OPU team that there already under 30 minutes already!

I don't know if it is a store volume thing or a pilot, but market is doing the grocery orders

I don't know if it is a store volume thing or a pilot, but market is doing the grocery orders
Soon theyy may also be
responsible for receiving vendors if the pilot that Target is trying is approved. Stores will have to be rebuilt. Receiving will have to be right next to grocery so fdc received and taken to the walk-ins in 10 minutes. Vendors received in 5 minutes. Move the opu coolers and freezers closer to grocery so that time can be achieved but sacrifice for the drive up times. Wait that won't work let me rethink this.

Isn't market next to the backroom at all stores? If you can't pick, bag, and stow, a grocery order under 30 minutes, then you are walking really slow or something.

Isn't market next to the backroom at all stores? If you can't pick, bag, and stow, a grocery order under 30 minutes, then you are walking really slow or something.
I think it is more of case of not staffing the grocery to do OPUs.

If grocery is pushing a freezer U-boat are they expected to stop and do an OPU?

I think it is more of case of not staffing the grocery to do OPUs.

If grocery is pushing a freezer U-boat are they expected to stop and do an OPU?

IDK if other stores are getting different pilots, but the pilot my store is testing out starting this week has a bunch of the Fulfillment team, along with one of the Fulfillment TLs, being moved to F&B to do Grocery Picks. Since my store is a SuperTarget and doesn't have SFS, that means the vast majority of out Fulfillment team are now F&B TMs.

Also part of the pilot is a few Fulfillment TMs being moved to S&E to do Put to Hold for regular orders. Another thing is that the Grocery Fulfillment TMs will do their own Put to Hold, but regular OPUs will not. All of the Grocery OPU and PTH TMs will still report to the Fulfillment ETL, despite some now being scheduled under Consumables, Produce, MDF, etc... and some under Service Advocate.

Last edited:

At least with this new update, the timer changes to count from 30 instead of the actual goal time (if there's more than 30) once you scan your first cold item, so there shouldn't be any confusion going forward about how much time is left to meet food safety standards

IDK if other stores are getting different pilots, but the pilot my store is testing out starting this week has a bunch of the Fulfillment team, along with one of the Fulfillment TLs, being moved to F&B to do Grocery Picks. Since my store is a SuperTarget and doesn't have SFS, that means the vast majority of out Fulfillment team are now F&B TMs.

Also part of the pilot is a few Fulfillment TMs being moved to S&E to do Put to Hold for regular orders. Another thing is that the Grocery Fulfillment TMs will do their own Put to Hold, but regular OPUs will not. All of the Grocery OPU and PTH TMs will still report to the Fulfillment ETL, despite some now being scheduled under Consumables and some under Service Advocate.

Interesting. We have OPU TMs assigned to grocery when there isn't someone scheduled for grocery. I don't know if they are scheduled there or are just assigned. We have a S&E TM assigned to OPU to stow while being scheduled as a service advocate.

We’re supposed to be piloting DU TMs doing the bagging and stowing, but so far we’ve been too swamped to do so. They said by the end of this coming week, fulfillment TMs at my store will just be dropping their carts off and going to pick more. Our DU time was over 3 minutes and we couldn’t stow in time until we got all of fulfillment to start doing their own carts like usual.

No idea how we’re gonna handle doing DU and bagging and stowing together. They only added one extra DU person on the schedule to accommodate bagging and stowing, so all hours aren’t even covered with a designated person and the DU team (which is only ever 1-2 people, max maybe 3) is expected to hop in and out in between orders. Yesterday our OPUs were already over the day’s forecast by 2:30. We do about 400-500 DUs a day, not including in store OPUs.

Back