Org chart and changes

Can be, but not necessarily. The base model from modernization calls for 3 GMTLs. I've been at a few 60something million supers and a few 60 million p-fresh store and they all only had 3 GMTLs in their headcount. One owns P1/Inbound, One owns half of P2/plano, and the other will have the other half of P2/fulfillment. I know your store is crazy mega high volume though and has a ton of TLs, but that is more the exception than the rule!
Yeah I think you are right.

Praying for all current HRTL's as their current job is being eliminated. Be ok with accepting a new role (maybe fulfillment tl) or finding a new job 😔 I feel for the good ones that had a passion for HR.
If they really want to stick to HR they can shift to a small format store, most don't have ETLs so someone has to be in charge of HR.

Praying for all current HRTL's as their current job is being eliminated. Be ok with accepting a new role (maybe fulfillment tl) or finding a new job 😔 I feel for the good ones that had a passion for HR.
This happened last year in our district, both HR team leads were promotrd into HR ETL roles. They were both extremely happy with the structural changes, not sure why you assumed its a bad thing.

Any idea if the FOTL will be an addition in every store, or will they merge the GM3 with fulfillment in lower volume stores that don't really need that TL?

I would guess that the Fulfillment will not be the GM3's responsibility since they said they are adding the fulfillment TL to stores. Who knows though? A separate fulfillment volume threshold would make a lot more sense to base things off of than total store sales. My store, for example, is the smallest by total sales in our district. However, we are the highest volume OPU store in the district. We often do more OPUs than our sister stores do in OPUs and SFS combined. We could definitely use a fulfillment TL who doesn't have to split his/her time with salesfloor responsibilities.

I think it is about the size of the backroom and how many pack stations (if any) you can fit. One of the higher volume stores around me has no space for sfs, but 2 smaller volume stores have multiple pack stations.
Our seasonal and mini seasonal is just outside our backroom near our sfs area. I think Target should seriously reduce that floorspace and expand sfs instead.

Our seasonal and mini seasonal is just outside our backroom near our sfs area. I think Target should seriously reduce that floorspace and expand sfs instead.
I think Target needs to seriously consider opening up more SFS stores in general. We're making stupid money off of it. It would be dumb not to continue to push this further and keep going. The stores have become essentially little mini amazon fullfillment centers.

I think Target needs to seriously consider opening up more SFS stores in general. We're making stupid money off of it. It would be dumb not to continue to push this further and keep going. The stores have become essentially little mini amazon fullfillment centers.
No thank you. My store doesn’t have sfs and nor do I want it. We do have a Opu Tl that owns nothing but opu. We do a lot in sales as it is . Thank God they can’t oust a sfs in my store due to off-site.

No thank you. My store doesn’t have sfs and nor do I want it. We do have a Opu Tl that owns nothing but opu. We do a lot in sales as it is . Thank God they can’t oust a sfs in my store due to off-site.
I love to hate it and hate to love it. It's brought our store an enormous amount in sales. Larger team, more development. It's amazing.

I love to hate it and hate to love it. It's brought our store an enormous amount in sales. Larger team, more development. It's amazing.
I wish my store had SFS because of the fact it would push our sales to new heights. We’re basically XL Small Format PFresh (old GM only store converted to PFresh, and are the smallest in our district) that already has sizable OPU volume. That, and it would really help out our inventory issues in Style (thanks HQ!)

Based on the guide:

GM1 owns Home & Seasonal + Inbound Operations

GM2 own Essentials + Plano (if your market still has experts

GM3 owns Hardlines + Fulfillment

Based on the guide:

GM1 owns Home & Seasonal + Inbound Operations

GM2 own Essentials + Plano (if your market still has experts

GM3 owns Hardlines + Fulfillment
This is true only for 3 leader stores. Here's what the guide says for 2 leaders:

GM1 owns Inbound + Essentials

GM2 owns Home and Seasonal + Plano + Hardlines + Incremental Space + Fulfillment

I'm the GM2 at a 2 leader store. It's a LOT, but home and hardlines at my store are consistently the top 2 departments for comp and sales dollars every day so I must be doing something right XD

Last edited:
This is true only for 3 leader stores. Here's what the guide says for 2 leaders:

GM1 owns Inbound + Essentials

GM2 owns Home and Seasonal + Plano + Hardlines + Incremental Space + Fulfillment

I'm the GM2 at a 2 leader store. It's a LOT, but home and hardlines at my store are consistently the top 2 departments for comp and sales dollars every day so I must be doing something right XD

Yes, 2 GMTL stores are different, as I was mostly showing the breakdown of the GM3 lead. Of course, based on volume you could have more or less TL than the standard.

Yes, 2 GMTL stores are different, as I was mostly showing the breakdown of the GM3 lead. Of course, based on volume you could have more or less TL than the standard.
Did the volume change for base volume? Because if it is the same as 2020... my store ain’t a base volume no more. Even though IIRC, all we gain is 2 ETLs, no TL are guaranteed.

Did the volume change for base volume? Because if it is the same as 2020... my store ain’t a base volume no more. Even though IIRC, all we gain is 2 ETLs, no TL are guaranteed.
For sure, I don’t think they’ve released an AE21, but I don’t think it’s even called that anymore. I know they lowered O/N threshold, so that could technically add a leader(s,) however, they seem to add ETLs first, before they add more TLs. Nevertheless, I believe they are adding a Fulfillment TL to stores who currently don’t have this position.

Since basically every store gained so much in sales, I'm sure the threshold will move up. Much of the increase in sales is from sfs, so maybe they are going to add sfs tl, then figure out any base changes based on originated sales.

Thank you! I appreciate people like you. I’ve been asked countless times by ETLs/TLs to make calls or laminate things when they can easily do it themselves.
Oh, the, humanity! 😱 making calls and laminating things 🙄

Sales from the last year will need to have an asterisk. It's not going to happen again this year, so moving every store up and handing out increased headcount like candy wouldn't be a smart move on their part. Every single store is gonna comp down this year.

Idk. My store is 6.4% over forecast and 17.4% over goal for the year so far, with two and a half million more in sales over this time last year. That may change as we approach when the lockdowns started last year, but we'll see.

Sales from the last year will need to have an asterisk. It's not going to happen again this year, so moving every store up and handing out increased headcount like candy wouldn't be a smart move on their part. Every single store is gonna comp down this year.
Too early to call yet, but our sales were down significantly in January and early February, but they are picking back up again. I think it will be a regular year without significant triumphs like 2020 for sales.

We're still up a couple million this year and we had lost power during the winter storm. The fun run deals, our governor removing the mask mandate, and the new stimulus we're at least 10% over forecast even with 33 quarantine bins and style not being pushed in 2 days. I do not want to see what the holidays are going to be like this year.

Back