Archived Orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently just got hired at Target and my orientation is coming up. I have a few general questions.

1. When I arrive at target should I immediantly walk to the Employes Only section or should I ask someone in HR to take me there?

2. What kind of shoes should I wear?

3. Are skinny khakis okay? (Skinny jeans that are khaki colored) Weird question, but I'm a teenager who doesn't function in regular pants.

Welcome!
Comfortable shoes.
Red shirt & khaki pants.
Check in at guest service. They will hr know that you are here.

Welcome to The Break Room.

The shoes do need to be close toed, no sandals.
Unless you are working flow you will probably want to pick up some regular pants.
Some stores might be cool with the khaki jeans but many not so much.

Skinny pants are spandex, which is prohibited in the handbook. Also, if they are denim, that is a no-go, as well. If you are interested in making a lasting impression, it is best to try for business casual red and khaki.

Last edited:
I wear denim khakis and they are fine, but make sure they are smooth denim so they give the appearance of regular khakis and not the kind that are clearly rough denim.

Other than that, welcome!

Make sure you bring your ID and SS card. Usually that's what most new hires have as their 2 forms of ID.

Most of us go to Goodwill or something similar to it for khakis and red shirts. I hate paying more than I have to for a required work uniform. :(

When you do start working shifts make sure you have comfy shoes. Most of us wear athletic type of shoes.

Welcome...
I get my khakis at Walmart because they are less expensive and the quality is ok.. The pants and red shirts go through a lot of wear and tear. Between constant use and constant washing, they don't last as long as other clothes..

Our store allows denim material khakis..yesterday I did laundry.. I folded 9 red shirts and 4 pair of khakis. Decided to count how many I had in the closet.. The closet dedicated to everything red and khaki. 32 red shirts. 12 khaki pants.. 2 khaki skirts that I am sure I will never wear to work, and now that I wear red and khaki uniformlike clothes, I'm sure I will never wear those shirts anywhere..

Welcome...
I get my khakis at Walmart because they are less expensive and the quality is ok.. The pants and red shirts go through a lot of wear and tear. Between constant use and constant washing, they don't last as long as other clothes..

Our store allows denim material khakis..yesterday I did laundry.. I folded 9 red shirts and 4 pair of khakis. Decided to count how many I had in the closet.. The closet dedicated to everything red and khaki. 32 red shirts. 12 khaki pants.. 2 khaki skirts that I am sure I will never wear to work, and now that I wear red and khaki uniformlike clothes, I'm sure I will never wear those shirts anywhere..

32 red shirts!?!?

I have 3...

Welcome...

Even when I wasn't in starbucks, I never had nearly as many red shirts. I think I got up to around 15-my husband had a mini intervention with me. Lol

Make sure you bring your ID and SS card. Usually that's what most new hires have as their 2 forms of ID.

Most of us go to Goodwill or something similar to it for khakis and red shirts. I hate paying more than I have to for a required work uniform. :(

When you do start working shifts make sure you have comfy shoes. Most of us wear athletic type of shoes.

So, would a Driving Permit count as an ID? It's all I have. Also my pants aren't skin tight, they are just sort of slimmingish.

Also kind of a follow up question to everything:

What should I expect at orientation? Also how long do I have to do training?

As lone as the permit has a picture you should be cool.
You will also need the SS card or second form of ID, birth certificate, passport etc.

The first usually is videos, tour of the store, paperwork, lecture on expectations, not too much hands on.
How much training depends a lot on how many hours they have free for training and what position you were hired for.
We have a general rule here All Stores Are Not The Same.

Some stores do a great job of training, others not so much.

Permits are not allowed on the I-9 form. You may want to go to the DMV and get a state ID, or you can use a school ID.

Oh, that's why.

Sorry, I was thinking of provisional DL for minors that only let them during certain times.
They are legal ID and are one step up from a permit.
I got a lot of those in NJ.

What should I expect at orientation? Also how long do I have to do training?

Expect to view a lot of videos, including a very corny anti-union video and sexual harassment video. If your store has anyone from Assets Protection (AP) on duty, they may come in and give a safety and don't-be-a-dumbass-and-steal lecture.
As for training, it depends on what you are hirwd for. You could have a couple days, or it could take several weeks and involve training at other stores and being put in a motel room over night in the most dangerous city in the area because the closest classroom training Spot is hosting in the next six months is 200 miles away.

Thanks guys. Okay, last question and I think I'll be good (I keep forgetting to ask the people at target lol)

Tomorrow is my second day of training, should I clock in right when I arrive or at exactly 5:00 (which is when I'm supposed to start)?

Also is there a list someone to what all these abbreviations mean, I'm having a hard time remembering them.

Target has a 5 minute leeway on punching in and out, so 4:55 would be the earliest.

As in Target abbreviations, there used to be definitions in the back of the handbook. It takes time to get used to Target lingo.

The time clock will allow punches up to 5 mins early. Whether your store permits this is a different matter. I have heard of some stores that do not allow it, or say things like "as close to your scheduled start time as possible." At mine, you can punch in 5 mins early every single day and collect the extra $ (mere pennies but every little bit counts, I suppose) if you feel so inclined. We have a TL who's done it for years.

I take that extra 5 min each shift so I can hit the ground running.
Plus, you're right - it adds up to 25 extra minutes a week depending on the number of shifts you have.

I take that extra 5 min each shift so I can hit the ground running.
Plus, you're right - it adds up to 25 extra minutes a week depending on the number of shifts you have.

Yep...I always punch in 5 minutes early. Sure, it's only an extra 25 minutes a week...but that 25 minutes was the difference last year for me between part time and full time and having insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back