Archived Our New In-Store Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so this might expose me and the store im currently at, but im not gonna say any names or any store numbers i just wanna know how ethical this is.

so we (cashiers) have learned that from now on we have to get ONE redcard per shift or else we have to report to the LOD and explain to them why we didn't get one. i think it's totally unreasonable the that fact we have to report to them personally and let him know. it's kind of shaming in a way because not everyone can get a redcard on every shift. what do y'all think about this?

In that case it's CYA time which means cashier speed bedamned.
Keep a notepad by your case register, ask every guest, have a line for the response options (left it at home, afraid of the hackers, have too many already, didn't being a check, talking on their cell phone, crazy cat lady, five years old and just wants gum, sleazy dude who's hitting on me), check them off throughout the day and write in any you didn't think of, then the fun part.
When the time comes to report to the LOD as to why you didn't get a Redcard, list off every single customer you had.
If you and all the other cashiers do that for a week, they will stop.

In that case it's CYA time which means cashier speed bedamned.
Keep a notepad by your case register, ask every guest, have a line for the response options (left it at home, afraid of the hackers, have too many already, didn't being a check, talking on their cell phone, crazy cat lady, five years old and just wants gum, sleazy dude who's hitting on me), check them off throughout the day and write in any you didn't think of, then the fun part.
When the time comes to report to the LOD as to why you didn't get a Redcard, list off every single customer you had.
If you and all the other cashiers do that for a week, they will stop.

So no joke a kid (probably around 10) came in one time to buy bread with the free bread coupon they give out occasionally and after I rang him up at express one of the new 22y/o etls was like "Why didn't you offer him a redcard?" and I lol'd cuz I thought she was joking. She wasn't.

So no joke a kid (probably around 10) came in one time to buy bread with the free bread coupon they give out occasionally and after I rang him up at express one of the new 22y/o etls was like "Why didn't you offer him a redcard?" and I lol'd cuz I thought she was joking. She wasn't.

So I guess it's true what I heard, that desperation can make some people stupid.
How sad.

ok, so this might expose me and the store im currently at, but im not gonna say any names or any store numbers i just wanna know how ethical this is.

so we (cashiers) have learned that from now on we have to get ONE redcard per shift or else we have to report to the LOD and explain to them why we didn't get one. i think it's totally unreasonable the that fact we have to report to them personally and let him know. it's kind of shaming in a way because not everyone can get a redcard on every shift. what do y'all think about this?
At my store we have been told we need one per shift since I started 2 months ago but that usually doesn't happen except with the two morning cashiers, although we weren't told to report to the LOD if we didn't, I sure hope that doesn't travel to the other stores.

we've been asked this too about guests who buy like one item that's like 98 cents and even little kids... like please wtf. it's getting so bad i swear.

If that happens I will turn my light to.blinking 15 before time to go and tell gstl lod is needed at my register I will not hunt down an lod ..

We've been having check outs with the LOD for our *bottom* performers for over a year now. It's actually helped some of our cashiers who never got REDCards. We don't give them a quota, we give them a goal for the day. If they don't meet their goal, they talk to the LOD.

We've been having check outs with the LOD for our *bottom* performers for over a year now. It's actually helped some of our cashiers who never got REDCards. We don't give them a quota, we give them a goal for the day. If they don't meet their goal, they talk to the LOD.

Do they get to keep Excel spread sheets on their customers because I know I sure as hell would.

Can you imagine the negative publicity for Target if the media got the details of what goes on to push Red Cards? I'm thinking in light of the breach, the border-line unethical pressure put on TM's and some of the tactics would come across pretty badly.

I sincerely hope they somehow do get ahold of the details on all the unethical pressures target puts on it's team members to get redcards..

It would require a concentrated effort of people to record what they are told over a period of time to get the media to care.

good luck :/

What's unethical about checking in with a supervisor before you leave every day?

It's really not all that negative. You spend a minute talking with the LOD about how you can improve your presentation and how we can help you reach your goals. It seems weird to me that one doesn't want to perform well at his job. All we're doing is giving you the tools to succeed. I mean, after all, it IS your job. If you don't like what your job entails, you should probably find another job that you do like.

I wonder if your GSTLs and GSAs are appropriately observing cashiers. We do daily observations on every cashier and our ETL-GE reads them when they're working.

Maybe the front end leaders are slacking so ETLs have to pick up the pieces?

What's unethical about checking in with a supervisor before you leave every day?

It's really not all that negative. You spend a minute talking with the LOD about how you can improve your presentation and how we can help you reach your goals. It seems weird to me that one doesn't want to perform well at his job. All we're doing is giving you the tools to succeed. I mean, after all, it IS your job. If you don't like what your job entails, you should probably find another job that you do like.

I think you're missing what is bothering folks here.
It's not a matter of ethics.
It's not a matter of not wanting to do their jobs well.
It's not even a matter of not wanting to get Redcards.
Hell, it's not even a matter of of checking in with the LOD (well, sort of).

Look if as you said, the LOD was trying to give the cashiers the tools to succeed, if after a day of not getting Redcards they would go "Well, that didn't work. Why don't you try this way tomorrow and I'll bet that will work better."
If this new policy was truly meant as a way of helping the TMs, I'd say good show.
But you know what, it's not.
It's another intimidation and bullying tactic, it's a way of making sure they understand just how bad people they are.

Now of course I understand that ASANTS, that maybe there is a store out there where this isn't the case.
But you know what, I'm willing to bet they are few and far between.
I've read too many posts here, seen to much desperation, and seen first hand the young untrained kids that run the stores.
I wish you had another solution to offer than just get another job.
There are people here who care about their jobs and would be great additions to Spot's team but they are being forced out by unreasonable expectations.

Last edited:
The push for red cards has been the sole focus for our front end Team, which leaves other front end duties lacking. Bathroom checks are such a joke that half the time they completely fill out the sheet on the doors first thing in the morning. Cart attendants get carts and backup on registers, that's it. All cleaning is left for house keeping at night, which is not near enough. First impressions and brand have taken a back seat to pushing red cards, as long as you keep them flowing the front end can do no wrong.

While talking with an etl ,she informed me that the dtl told her to start coaching tms who don't get redcards ( or enough of them !)
She then told me , he (dtl) was a pompous ass , and she will not coach !

Now that is my definition of a leader, the kind of person who understands what a boss needs to be.

/me raises a glass to all the good ETLs and STLs.

Here's the problem...we are to a point where we have people that simply do. not. ask.

I know they don't ask. They know they don't ask. The GSTL knows they don't ask. The ETL knows they don't ask.

I tell the GSTL, ETL, and LOD that they don't ask, and that I've spoken to them and they still won't ask. All that happens is that whoever I tell grumbles about it. But nothing is ever done. How in the heck are we supposed to get these stupid cards if people don't ask, and when push comes to shove, the leadership team won't hold them accountable?

Here's the problem...we are to a point where we have people that simply do. not. ask.

I know they don't ask. They know they don't ask. The GSTL knows they don't ask. The ETL knows they don't ask.

I tell the GSTL, ETL, and LOD that they don't ask, and that I've spoken to them and they still won't ask. All that happens is that whoever I tell grumbles about it. But nothing is ever done. How in the heck are we supposed to get these stupid cards if people don't ask, and when push comes to shove, the leadership team won't hold them accountable?

Why are these people getting hours then? Why do subpar workers keep getting scheduled to do more subpar work?

Cut their hours & give it to people who DO the job well & if that doesn't motivate them to get back into Target's good graces then let them quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back