Archived Our New In-Store Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont cashier SO I don't have to worry about the whole red card thing...I will say this though...I couldn't do it . I couldn't sit there and ask guess after guess just hoping they say yes...so my ass doesn't get in trouble. So, I will say this once again... cashiers have my respect...I just couldn't do it . Everyone, wants to keep saying that its such a huge part of a cashiers job...they knew what they were getting into when hired....is this really true? were they told that if they don't get red cards they will be harassed no matter how well they perform their other tasks? Were they given the whole story...or just enough so Spot can claim they told them during the interview ( Spot is good at that). Everyone wants to fuss about the damn red card and once again...how its part of the cashiers job...lets talk about the etls, stls, srtls, tl, job....lets talk about how they stand around all day gossiping...lets talk about the hr/etl...who when you go to him with an issue...five minutes later he is in a corner with the etl YOU had an issue with telling him what you said....lets talk about the srtl who just because he doesn't like certain ppl ( personal based...not based on job performance)will cut their hours and treat them like shit. So maybe just maybe if Spot focused as much on how their "leaders" acted in the building as they do red cards...things wouldn't be as bad as they are . Practice what you preach

When I go up to backup cashier, there is already a line of people waiting, because Lord knows we wouldn't want to schedule cashiers. So after walking all the way from the back of the store, guests just want to check out.

So, yeah I ask, but I really don't care. I've got work piled up from last week that my etl is pressuring me about.

No. No, I just don't care about this business. And see if I ever ask a child if they want one.

My problem with redcards was always the hovering supervisor. I'm very self conscious, and whenever my GSTL was standing right next to me, staring at me cashier, I'd freeze up and never ask anyone. This obviously led to problems, because anytime they were watching me I would never ask, which meant they watched me more and I'd ask less and less. Couple this with my already lacking salesmanship, and I basically never got redcards ever. I'm also very bad at talking to people about this kind of thing, so the GSTL just thought I was a slacker. It sucked. Every single shift I'd get called into an office and talked to, and threatened, and coached, and eventually put on corrective action. It turned around after they trained me at guest service and I surpassed the abilities of the best old timers there in like two months. The moral of the story is that redcards suck and try to find something else you're good at in the store. That's the only way out of the hole. The problem with this theory is if you're already bad at getting redcards, then crappy management might just see you as a bad worker and not take the time to cross train you, so it can be kind of an endless loop.

I don't like what I do now, but whenever it gets bad, I think back to getting bullied by the GSTL and how much worse it could be. It's so nice getting to do my own thing all the time without supervisors hovering over me constantly. Even if my direct bosses still suck, it's more incompetence than bullying.

Anyways, reporting to the LOD after every shift without a redcard is awful. Who knows where the LOD is working when you get off. You have to shamefully call them on the walkie, meet them, bring up that you didn't get any redcards, and then probably come up with some plan to do better. That sounds like the worst thing possible, and it isn't motivating. Use positive reinforcement. Offer actual monetary benefits. A candy bar or a Starbucks drink is patronizing, and while the other end of the spectrum (coaching/termination) is pretty horrible, that doesn't make me want to work any harder. It will make me work just as hard as I have to to get a couple redcards a week, or whatever it takes to get the GSTL off my back. I have no reason to want to be a top performer.

@Retail Girl Sometimes you remind me of one of our GSAs. I hope you're not though.

(I mean that in the best possible way)

Right.

Here's the thing. Every single time I come into a shift, it's redcards, REDcards, redcards. We'ee not allowed to move off the front lanes because God forbid some poor guest might not get a chance to save 5%. So at the end of the shift, the LOD asks me why we didn't get any REDcards. The only thing I have is the fact that 2 of my 3 cashiers on tonight will not ask unless they know I am staring at them.

But I try to be FFF about it and pump them up, and I walk away and they don't ask. But I get it from the LOD who wants REDcards but won't help back me up to make it happen.

So what, pray tell, am I supposed to do????

I think I am going to give the local news a tip... I do not condone or support unethical behavior to get Redcards.

It would require a concentrated effort of people to record what they are told over a period of time to get the media to care.

good luck :/

Just read this.

I'd say spend a few months recording all the unethical behavior that is occurring at your store regarding RedCards. Write down everything: Dates things have been said, new "policies" they create, when you learn about them, when they stop happening, what the results of the policy is, etc.

Right.

Here's the thing. Every single time I come into a shift, it's redcards, REDcards, redcards. We'ee not allowed to move off the front lanes because God forbid some poor guest might not get a chance to save 5%. So at the end of the shift, the LOD asks me why we didn't get any REDcards. The only thing I have is the fact that 2 of my 3 cashiers on tonight will not ask unless they know I am staring at them.

But I try to be FFF about it and pump them up, and I walk away and they don't ask. But I get it from the LOD who wants REDcards but won't help back me up to make it happen.

So what, pray tell, am I supposed to do????
Nono, don't get me wrong. You're doing everything you've got to. Mega respect for putting up with it. Was supposed to be a small joke about how I hope my store isn't secretly that strict.

The thing is, we've had reporters on this site before. If there was a story there, I would think they would have gotten it by now.

None of what we say here is actually verifiable. I mean, I could say that my LOD told me to get 1 RedCard each day or I'd be fired. You all would have no way of verifying that. The same goes for reporters.

If any TM had documentation going for a period of time outlining unethical behavior when it came to pushing these damned things, then hey, that would be a story.

The problem with reporting things to the press is that Spot will say it's not 'official' policy.
They are the actions of one store or even one person and not ordered by the company.
They would easily deny all knowledge or culpability for the situation and technically be right.

The fact that the incredible pressure they put on the stores to produce create this kind of reaction isn't their problem.
They can probably point to stores that meet the goals and say we have proof that it is possible so we aren't being unreasonable.

I'm not saying people shouldn't report unscrupulous behavior, I am.
It will put pressure on Spot to keep honest.
But I don't think it will change their policies.

The problem with reporting things to the press is that Spot will say it's not 'official' policy.
They are the actions of one store or even one person and not ordered by the company.
They would easily deny all knowledge or culpability for the situation and technically be right.

The fact that the incredible pressure they put on the stores to produce create this kind of reaction isn't their problem.
They can probably point to stores that meet the goals and say we have proof that it is possible so we aren't being unreasonable.

I'm not saying people shouldn't report unscrupulous behavior, I am.
It will put pressure on Spot to keep honest.
But I don't think it will change their policies.

I mean, it is kind of the actions of each store. I mean, as we say here, ASANTS. Ever since February when the new metrics for meeting goals came out, with the exception of the first week, we've met the weekly goal.

You're right, I do agree, it would just end up with them trying to keep honest or at least put a small bandaid on the problem. Temporarily lower RedCard conversion goals while they "reevaluate our conversion goals".

I'm not a cashier, but I specifically listed pressure to get star rewards cards as one reason I was looking to leave Macy's and the etl who interviewed me at the time was like "oh no we aren't like that at all" lol. Macy's did like a full metrics sheet on how much you sold and your percentage of cards so every week you'd have to talk your supervisor about your little report card and it was just super repetitive. If you're asking, you're asking. How annoying must you be to convince someone to sign up for a card??

I go into stores already prepped to turn pitches down. I don't even like people helping me in stores that I know have sales goals or commission. I know they have to tell me about the dumb cards and upsell me things but ugh, so annoying.

Why is discussing performance workplace bullying? Shouldn't you perform the duties you agreed to? Do you think that if the CAFs don't get pulled, the LOD shouldn't ask why? If the zones don't get done, should we just ignore the fact that softlines TMs were chatting in the fitting room? How is performing the cashier's duties any different than any other position in the store? If you don't do the tasks assigned to you, there will be a conversation. It's as simple as that.,
If a TM is doing their job by offering the RedCard to every guest but mosts guests are not interested because they either have one (and not using it), like their Frequent Flyer card better, don't have a check, or just not interested, why does the TM have to be punished by being grilled by the LOD before they leave for home on why they didn't get the RedCard.

Its stupid as a LOD grilling a TM for not getting a button on time or GSA for not getting a change request.

Target has over saturated the market with their RedCard and has overly annoyed the general public about their card that no one wants it anymore.

When I was with Target, I worked from ultra high volume stores to low volume stores. On a good day at my high volume, we probably got 20 apps during the high shopping times. And that is with Mr. Dave Ramsey working across the street from my store.

Then at my low volume store, we were lucky to get 2 apps in a week.

If you have to report to your supervisor why you didn't get a RedCard app even though you pushed it and pulled your weight, it soon becomes annoying and the pressure of the job duties increases. YUP...I call that bullying.

Last edited:
TL;DR Yea, it's bullying.

It's not bullying to expect someone to do the job for which they are hired. If you're shy and feel uncomfortable about doing your job, which is driving REDCards, then this is not a good fit for you. Would you want to keep someone who is uncomfortable with heights as a roofer? Why would you want to punish someone like that? If you keep a shy person in a position which puts him out there with the public, then you are doing a disservice to him, to your customers and to your business.
As a cashier you cannot force someone to say yes and give you their SSN, address, phone number, dob, etc. you can simply ask and educate but that is it. You do not control a guests response... A cashier who asks every time and educates them, engages with them, and does every other thing 100% will still be told no. How is it their fault? To hold someone accountable for something they may have no control over is ridiculous. And I think if ETLs realized that if you don't treat your team like children they might not act like children. My cashiers tell me every day how they feel about the ETL staff and how poorly they are treated and get no recognition. But the Plano team that never responds to backup and refuses to help guests and dumps all their garbage at guest service get recognized all the time in front of cashiers. And when they are on for backup they don't ask/engage. They are pissed that they hopped on register but we can't coach then because they are "support" so they don't have to ask. Treat your cashiers with respect and you might see results.

/rant.

I broke down tonight. I told my GSTL that I couldn't figure out what the point of me standing at the front of the lanes watching the cashiers not ask for REDcards was going to accomplish. The very first words out of her mouth? "Well are you asking each and every guest when you are on a lane?" Are you freaking kidding me? Yes I am! What sort of question is that?? She then went on about how we can't change personalities, and that if the cashiers won't ask, then it's up to the GSTLs or ETL-GE to worry about that, and the GSAs don't need to worry about that and we just need to do our job and do the best we can.

Right...so when I go in for the rest of my gsa shifts this week, I'll remember that when the LOD is on me about driving conversion and getting more REDCards.

Whatever. So basically we have to drive conversion, can't expect the cashiers to do their damn job if they don't want to, will be held to standards by the LODs, but won't be backed up for it and instead will be grilled about if we are asking.

Last week was the first week we were green since this entire new fiasco started. At this point, I would almost prefer we be red. Then at least they get what they deserve with not backing us up.

I hate my job. More and more every day.

RG, I'm so sorry you work with such horrible leaders who make your job a living hell.
Our cashiers are feeling the pressure & many are trying to get out of the lanes. Thanks to several of our TMs graduating, we're looking to replace three baristas. Cashiers who used to turn their noses up at us are now begging to be considered for training.
Karma is sometimes a bitch in a green apron.

Last edited:
I think you're missing what is bothering folks here.
It's not a matter of ethics.
It's not a matter of not wanting to do their jobs well.
It's not even a matter of not wanting to get Redcards.
Hell, it's not even a matter of of checking in with the LOD (well, sort of).

Look if as you said, the LOD was trying to give the cashiers the tools to succeed, if after a day of not getting Redcards they would go "Well, that didn't work. Why don't you try this way tomorrow and I'll bet that will work better."
If this new policy was truly meant as a way of helping the TMs, I'd say good show.
But you know what, it's not.
It's another intimidation and bullying tactic, it's a way of making sure they understand just how bad people they are.

Now of course I understand that ASANTS, that maybe there is a store out there where this isn't the case.
But you know what, I'm willing to bet they are few and far between.
I've read too many posts here, seen to much desperation, and seen first hand the young untrained kids that run the stores.
I wish you had another solution to offer than just get another job.
There are people here who care about their jobs and would be great additions to Spot's team but they are being forced out by unreasonable expectations.
preach it commie :)

I thank my lucky stars that I got off the lanes when I did. being over in café however they have started jumping down my ass again about why im not getting redcards over there. wtf am I supposed to say " yes valued guest, would you like to save five percent on that bag of popcorn? you know how much that evens out too, a whopping six freaking cents!. sign up now" I was also informed today about how all of us in café are now under the gun and were required to get two a shift or its an auto ca. I about dropped my teeth when I heard that. and just for added gravy they already put our newest rookie on ca for that very reason. poor girl was in tears when I came in that day and I spent a good fifteen minutes consoling her. apparently the etl-ge, etl log, and their newest protégé all cornered her behind café and ripped her to shreds. the girl isn't even past her ninety days yet for heavens sake, and she tries actively to get these damn cards. this needs to stop before they take it to far and shatter someones mind, who knows whats gonna happen then.

Perhaps it should be turned around? Perhaps our 22 something, straight out of school, book smart, know nothing, have no common sense, never worked a job before, leaders should give it a go. Show the cashier that you could do what you're asking of them to do!
Walk a mile in my shoes, I could walk 3 in yours.

Except that I don't hate cashiers. I was one, remember? I get that it's not an easy job, but it is a job and it's what you agreed to when you got hired on. Do it or don't. That's up to you, but why shouldn't I expect you to do what you were hired for?

Oh, cart attendant, I know it's hard to push carts when the weather is bad, so OK, you don't have to. Why would I expect you to do your job?

Oh, service desk TM, it's ok. You don't have to talk to the rude guests, only the ones you like. Why would I expect you to do your job?

Oh, cashier, you don't like the job you accepted? No problem. Just do half your job - it's OK.
Oh team leader,,,why should I expect you to lead?

We do need to remember that these directives are coming from the top of the pyramid scheme, and that shit flows down hill!

I listen to the cashiers and most of them do ask, but it's the lack of enthusiasm that the guest hear. It's almost like - yawn yawn yawn do you want a redcard? No? Ok let me finish up your order.

I can't blame them, there is nothing from gstl's tl's and etl's except - do we have redcards? How many redcards? Are you asking for redcards? What do you mean you have to go to the bathroom? You might lose out on a redcard. And at the end of shift - how many redcards did you get? You need to get redcards. We need redcards. My whole existance is redcards. Maybe you want a redcard? Do you have any friends who want to apply for redcards?
REDCARDS REDCARDS REDCARDS
Gee I wonder why no one wants to ask for redcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back