Archived Our New In-Store Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of paying fees to the other institutions for every card swipe (visa, mc, Amex, discover...) when a guest uses a Redcard there is no fee since they are owned by target. Target takes that gain from not paying the fee and turns it into the 5% savings for guests. The catch is that it promotes guest loyalty and guests who shop with a redcard spend a crap-ton more. I know I do. My ytd savings so far is almost $60...
you know with that logic, why you don't get 5% off with cash. i'm supposing target would have problems with the credit card companies over that, gas stations some places charge less for cash. and if cashiers have to push a product that is super important to the store, why give us the lowest paygrade?

When I had a business that accepted credit cards, it was illegal to charge less if someone used cash. Then gas stations started doing it - not sure if the laws changed, probably did in some way it has or they twisted the words better then retail was able to twist it.
It was - and I think still is, illegal to have a minimum for people to use checks or credit cards. Such as when the sign says - no checks or credit cards under 20.00. You can ask who their bank is and report them.
I know smaller companies get charged bigger, multiple fees to take credit cards in lieu of cash or check - Problem with checks is that there is more of an opportunity for them to bounce, which makes credit cards a more secure payment for retailers..but I still am not understanding how target is profiting from the cards, unless upper management is getting cash incentives when guests open cards.
PS I do not like red cards.

..but I still am not understanding how target is profiting from the cards, unless upper management is getting cash incentives when guests open cards.

Your shopping data is worth a small fortune. Target can tailor their sales to it's guests shopping preferences. It can determine what is the highest sale price to get guests through the door, but not so big of a discount that it cuts into profit. Also, this data can be shared with Target's vendors so that it can negotiate a volume discount on the products Target carries as well as determine shelf placement. The data can be massaged all kinds of different ways to make all kinds of predictions about what makes the guest spend more.

lol. They must think all I do is eat. I use my redcard at food ave. When I look at my bank statement there are usually 15-20 charges a month for a soft drink or soft drink and a banana

We are doing all these things at store and more. I heard the FRO being "talked to" about not getting RCs. Our cashiers, FATMs, SBTMs, GSTMs and GSAs do not get all of their breaks. Instead of offering decent incentives for RCs they make up games that would embarrass preschoolers. After being on a register for hours and probably either having to fight for a break, or not getting one at all you are supposed to hunt down the GSA so you can throw a dart at a balloon? Then if you are lucky enough to pop a balloon you get the paper inside and it says, "High five!!!!" Are you freaking kidding me!?! What if we treated our front end team with respect and allowed them their dignity? Maybe if the GSA didn't have to beg someone on the walkie to cover their lunch they would be more inclined to make sure everyone else got their breaks.

Ironically enough the few times I covered the electronics boat i got more redcards there than i did on the front end.

It was - and I think still is, illegal to have a minimum for people to use checks or credit cards. Such as when the sign says - no checks or credit cards under 20.00. You can ask who their bank is and report them.

Interesting. My other work doesn't accept credit card payments under $5.00, and it's a government institution.

That's what I've found now and damn it I'm gonna keep it until I can finish school and get a job in my field. If I ever have to go to a different retail job I'm gonna ask some of the employees how hard management pushes bullshit like credit cards, because unless the pay is substantially higher than average, the stress just isn't worth it.
It really isn't. I've been having some issues over the past month and my doctor says it's actually panic attacks! Thanks to Target I'm on Xanax now because I'm getting them daily and almost always when I'm at work!

I agree with you , they are not told about red cards ,,I was not I was told it was about scanning, bagging , speed ,friendliness Cleaning your work space lol yea not enough time for that for its so dirty ..and now that cashier next to me who got hired last week will be making 9. hour and me getting a 15 cent raise yea what a joke but I treat it as it is a pay check nothing more...

It really isn't. I've been having some issues over the past month and my doctor says it's actually panic attacks! Thanks to Target I'm on Xanax now because I'm getting them daily and almost always when I'm at work!
Omg! This is me! You are not alone, @hipturd ! I get them everyday my boss works.

When I had a business that accepted credit cards, it was illegal to charge less if someone used cash. Then gas stations started doing it - not sure if the laws changed, probably did in some way it has or they twisted the words better then retail was able to twist it.
I know smaller companies get charged bigger, multiple fees to take credit cards in lieu of cash or check - Problem with checks is that there is more of an opportunity for them to bounce, which makes credit cards a more secure payment for retailers..but I still am not understanding how target is profiting from the cards, unless upper management is getting cash incentives when guests open cards.

The laws did change about being able to charge more to cover cc processing fees. I forget when, and I don't remember if it was a federal law or if some states passed similar laws all at once.

I didn't wanna be the butthead posting from bad memories so here's a source accurate as of October 2014: http://www.freecreditscore.com/blog/can-vendor-charge-extra-credit-card-purchase-2/

Omg! This is me! You are not alone, @hipturd ! I get them everyday my boss works.
It's really sad. I have never been at a job where I have panic attacks and I think that says a lot when it comes to Target just going overboard with constantly reminding us to push those REDcards like your life depends on it. They nag us at every single huddle at my store even telling hardlines team members to push the REDcards even if this person is just buying a can of air freshener or a bag of M&M's. It's pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back