Archived Overnight Backroom Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, sooooo for month's now my ETL for overnights has been telling me and my fellow backroom team members that the time we are REQUIRED to do the autofill's at the beginning of the night in HALF the time that the computer printout's that we are handed with our PDA's, and that it is best practice. if we dont complete a batch that the computer says takes 30 minutes in 15 minutes, and instead take 25 mintues, were yelled at and given the fifth degree, so my question is this: IS BEST PRACTICE to have TM's complete autofill batch's in HALF the time that the computer says the batch should take?

Of course it isn't best practice. Now with that being said there are very few fill groups that can not be completed in half the time. If your ETL is telling you he wants it done in that time then it's in your best interest to comply with that and please do not challenge him by saying it is not best practice, that is asking for trouble.

Ive been told by my etls in regional logistic meetings that pulling autofills in half the time is the actual goal that everyone should be held to. I agree 90% of all batches should done in half the time and probably 20% of the batches can be done in 1/3 the estimate like dairy, pharm, mm2 and grc2. If target says the goal time is half then thats the goal, i dont see a best practice issue here at all.

I got cut off in my message above. All the above being said my store did get a talking to because when you look at the times it could say it took us 11 hours to do a 10 hour estimate, but it actually took us say 4:30. They try and hold you to saying it took 45 minutes to do a 5 minute pet pull, but the last location is a pallet above the flow team unloading the truck, we have to wait for them to finfish the unload. Its not like we stand around for 40 minutes in the batch waiting. Our etls and stl pushed back and now we dont try to hit that goal anymore. Its doable but its alot worse for the whole process.

Why does "the computer" says it takes a certain amount of time, and then overpaid ETLs in "regional logistic meetings" are saying "the company" says that time should be half what "the computer" says?

Last edited:
Why does "the computer" says it takes a certain amount of time, and then overpaid ETLs in "regional logistic meetings" are saying "the company" says that time should be half what "the computer" says?

It only makes sense in Minneapolis...

well thanks for the heads up thats its not just my etl speaking out of his ass.....

this is asking for trouble--baffles, burning batches, safety concerns with team running trying to finish etc. there is no half time best practice.

Of course it isn't best practice. Now with that being said there are very few fill groups that can not be completed in half the time. If your ETL is telling you he wants it done in that time then it's in your best interest to comply with that and please do not challenge him by saying it is not best practice, that is asking for trouble.

MY STL and ETL's encourage the team to "demonstrate courage" by challenging upwards when someone is quoting best practice incorrectly. Guess I got luck with a good leadership team

Ive been told by my etls in regional logistic meetings that pulling autofills in half the time is the actual goal that everyone should be held to. I agree 90% of all batches should done in half the time and probably 20% of the batches can be done in 1/3 the estimate like dairy, pharm, mm2 and grc2. If target says the goal time is half then thats the goal, i dont see a best practice issue here at all.
I got cut off in my message above. All the above being said my store did get a talking to because when you look at the times it could say it took us 11 hours to do a 10 hour estimate, but it actually took us say 4:30. They try and hold you to saying it took 45 minutes to do a 5 minute pet pull, but the last location is a pallet above the flow team unloading the truck, we have to wait for them to finfish the unload. Its not like we stand around for 40 minutes in the batch waiting. Our etls and stl pushed back and now we dont try to hit that goal anymore. Its doable but its alot worse for the whole process.

If you do most of your batches in half the time (which is possible - I've seen it done in my store) that one last pallet batch shouldn't hurt you too bad because of the overall number. My LOG and STL don't mind a couple of red batches if we're overall green. Idk how it is in your stores but once again... Guess I got luck with a good leadership team

Wow, that's tough, but doable. Your ETL's just need to make sure they know how to read a monitor correctly. If they are holding you accountable by what the actual monitor is actually saying, then it's not fair. Sometimes people forget to log out of batches (they shouldn't however!), 2 people get into a batch, Or there are some quirky batches like PRO1, BAKE, etc; that sometimes seem to be off. For some reason CNDY, MM2, Softlines, give you even more than half the time to complete the batches.

What I did once, was analyze how long RWT was giving team members to complete certain batches. I realized a better indicator of speed was to analyze the "# of Locations scanned" when the pulls were finished! If someone is doing all receiving batches, while someone else is doing easier ones like softlines and market, the 2nd person is going to look a hell of a lot faster, when that might not be the case at all. So I gave each batch a "degree of difficulty" to make it fair. I gave receiving pulls a little more slack and made it harder on the easy batches. When the pulls were finished, I took the monitor, multiplied the locations scanned by the degree of difficulty and ended up with some nice numbers. I shared the results with my team and they started averaging 45%-50% (real) pull times. Made a contest out of it.

Wow OvernightsFault, that sounds like a great and much more fair way! I know when I worked logistics at our ULV store we were always beating goal times easily but your degree of difficulty integration does take into account someone who has to grab a bike down or use the crown or what have you to get at a pallet or other little receiving quirks. I'm gonna share this with my backroom team lead and see what she thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back