Answered Owning Backroom Aisle

Hello everyone,
I recently found out about this website and thought I'd as a quick question! At the store I work at, my ETL asked me if I could take care of a specific aisle in the backroom.(Itll be my responsibly to keep it in check) I'm likely to get one of the crazy grocery aisles, which I'm excited to organize.
Do you guys have any tips on what I can do to make the aisle better? Like facing the barcodes outward.. etc.
Grocery 2 is especially bad because it has a ton of dry goods and cereal. What would you guys recommend?

Appreciate all the help!

If its cereal - change one or two shelves to open stock with no wacos. Like A25 would be an entire shelf. You can bookshelf the cereal this way and make it far easier to organize/pull.

First thing you'll want to do it purge it. Purge the shit out of it, clean and fix the aisle, then backstock whats left.

Purge and update sfq as you go be organized and clean. keep all of the product of the same dpci together and try and keep to a max of 2 dpcis per waco. likely youll get more of the same product as you go. Stick with open stock and lower case stock first and do the 1 for 1 for the sections you have completed everyday as you move forward. CHECK DATES if its bad youll likely get most of your product out by donating it even in items that have notoriously lomg shelf life. As for cereal youll likely already have some shelves for open stock if not entire sections. If you think itll be easier can always purge and fix cereal first and do the 1 for 1 for the cereal pog everyday as well. Ive done this probably 100 times atleast it shouldnt take lomger then a month provided you get the time to do it

Last edited:
Mr. T,
I'm aware what open stocks are but I haven't heard of lower case stock. Would you mind explaining?

We have like 4 sections of open stocks for cereal and man is it a mess.

Thank you guys so much for helping! I feel more confident!

Mr. T,
I'm aware what open stocks are but I haven't heard of lower case stock. Would you mind explaining?

Lower case stock refers to the backstock that is in full cases on the bottom rows of a backroom aisle. For example, say your aisle is 01H aisle 3, and you’re working in section A, your lower closed case stock would be located in 01H003A01 and A02.

I agree with going through and purging the entire aisle. It will help you a lot in case you have anything unlocated or anything salvage/discontinued backstocked

To empty out a backroom location, go into the audit app, scan a backroom location, and then hit all items scanned without scanning anything - it will delete everything out of that location. That way you can take everything out without having to manually pull in MyWork

Last edited:
Mr. T,

I worked as a backroom team member for nearly 6 years and its one thing i wish was trained more thoroughly now. Cereal is one thing that can get out of control quickly if the 1 for 1 are not done everyday, which is likely how your store got into this mess. Id assume you would be handling all of grc2 zone truck 1for1 ect. Id try and get a big chunk of the backroom done as quickly as possible and use the space you create for backstock of new truck freight after its pushed. Then keep up with the routine as you move forward with those sections so they stay nice and empty and organized. I cant stress the value of a organized backroom with the ability to make changing oh and doing the 1 for 1s much faster and easier. Its a lot of work dont cut corners move stuff around if you have to and you got it. Having the will to do it is the first step and it seems like you got that. Oh and idk if this is a problem in your store but make sure the batches get pulled for salesplanners and revisions thats one way ive noticed that freight gets stuck in the backroom a lot.

To empty out a backroom location, go into the audit app, scan a backroom location, and then hit all items scanned without scanning anything - it will delete everything out of that location. That way you can take everything out without having to manually pull in MyWork
But when you backstock back do it in my work and not the audit app. That way you avoid backstocking nof, clearance , salvage

Like everyone said start by purging ( locu) audit 4ft at a time or you can start will all the Waco’s first . I suggest you do that on smaller truck or non-truck days ( wish I experience a non truck day) . Using STO-logic when you backstock . In the morning do your zone , scan exf as you go , when you go and pull your 141 combine exf with it that way you only pull once . Cereal I suggest opening an other shelf as open stock ie a05 and next one will be a06 ( you do that by going to my work , Icon top left , Backroom location management, grouping , and select open stock) . After you purged and pushed everything and fixed sfq and still have a lot try creating a transfer ( you go to revlog , tap 3 dots on top right select create transfer and start scanning and see if it’s eligible) Careful tho you can only transfer CASEPACK .

What do you guys do with the singles in openstock locations? do you flex it out? hide it in the back of the waco???
I would never recommend hiding it in the back of the waco it has a higher chance of getting overlooked and lost in the backroom. Flexing isnt bad if its done responsibly and doesnt mess with other product imo especially if its just one item

Question about new setting up backroom like salesfloor:
‘How are you numbering your sections ?
Example: aisle 24 in the backroom is for TOYS
If you number section A for merch for salesfloor aisle number 1,
are you using section B (across from A) OR section C (next to A) for items for aisle 2 of the salesfloor ?

I have seen most TL use the section NEXT to as the next aisle, but I disagree that this is effective.
When pulling a batch, you are asked to pull from section A and THEN B - therefore, wouldn’t it make MORE sense to number the aisles zig-zag like the pull ?? A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4. If you number A=1 and then C=2 etc. you will make B=9
so when pulling a batch you will pull: Items from SF Aisle 1 THEN items from SF Aisle 9 THEN items from SF aisle 2 THEN items from SF aisle 10, making push SLOWER than pulling merch for aisles 1,2,3, in order.

Go through every purged section daily and check for wonky shit. SFS often unlocates stuff, so spot check. Make sure all of the same dpci is together, fewer wacos mean you can tell quicker if you have a problem.

Question about new setting up backroom like salesfloor:
‘How are you numbering your sections ?
Example: aisle 24 in the backroom is for TOYS
If you number section A for merch for salesfloor aisle number 1,
are you using section B (across from A) OR section C (next to A) for items for aisle 2 of the salesfloor ?

I have seen most TL use the section NEXT to as the next aisle, but I disagree that this is effective.
When pulling a batch, you are asked to pull from section A and THEN B - therefore, wouldn’t it make MORE sense to number the aisles zig-zag like the pull ?? A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4. If you number A=1 and then C=2 etc. you will make B=9
so when pulling a batch you will pull: Items from SF Aisle 1 THEN items from SF Aisle 9 THEN items from SF aisle 2 THEN items from SF aisle 10, making push SLOWER than pulling merch for aisles 1,2,3, in order.

Thats a good question.. if you're following it by aisle on the salesfloor, I would do A as aisle floor number 1 and B as aisle floor number 2. But let's say you're going to devote 2 backroom sections to aisle number one, i would still keep it as A and B for aisle 1 because when youre pulling OFOs, it'll make it easier to keep the product for that aisle in the same place in the cart. For example, when I'm pulling Groc 1, and I pull ketchup that goes on aisle 20 which is in section A, it would make it easier to have section B as product from aisle 20 as well, so you can keep all the product for aisle 20 in the same area in your cart which will make it super easy to push.
I just read the rest of your comment lol. Yes you're right, i totally agree with you.

Back