Backroom locations

Does anybody know why the pick path for priority pulls will prefer one backroom location over another?
For example, lets say a certain pillow has a quantity of 2 at location 01A (openstock) and a quantity of 10 at location 01B (openstock) and the priority pull batch asks for a quantity of 2, why does it send the TM to 01B rather than 01A?
Numerically, the sequence should go to 01A first, correct? But it's sending us to 01B instead. Anyone know why this is?

There could be a few different things going on. Sequence does generally follow an order based on stockroom ID, aisle, section, and shelf, if the groupings are all the same. If the groupings are not the same, open stock will be pulled first, then case pack and bulk/recv locations. There is also a stockroom ID order based on a best practice but I don't have it in front of me. Certain reserved stockroom IDs are interpreted as being second floor, riser, offsite warehouse, etc. This can affect the path.

Lastly, the internal logic of fill also tries to reduce the number of total locations the item has in the backroom, from sequentially further back locations. So for example, if the sales floor need is 10, and the item has two locations, the first with 4, and the second with 10, the system will have you pull from the second location.

As you can see, there are more than a few things that could be going on. Hope this helps.

Yes that does give some insight thanks.
Could there also be something in the logic that goes to the location with the greater quantity?
I am trying to provide efficiency for my team and so I created 01B locations (our store only utilizes 01A locations) for a small corner of space in our backroom. I was "trying" to make it so that it does not pull anything from 01B until 01A quantities were depleted.
The 01B locations appeared at end of the pull batches as expected, however any dpci that exists in both places would only fetch from 01B. 🫤
I set up 01B exactly the same as 01A, so it seems like it's prioritizing location with greater quantity which I don't think I can work around..

Lastly, the internal logic of fill also tries to reduce the number of total locations the item has in the backroom, from sequentially further back locations. So for example, if the sales floor need is 10, and the item has two locations, the first with 4, and the second with 10, the system will have you pull from the second location.
So it did exactly the opposite of this. A quantity of 2 was needed, 01A had 2 and 01B had 10.
Logic basically said don't pull the 2 in 01A to eliminate a whole location. 😆 Logic must be flawed.

and so I created 01B locations (our store only utilizes 01A locations)
FYI when you decide to just create location without actually needing it impacts your path .
Not sure if you are aware but you essentially created a second Backroom.
01A is standard for stores with just one backroom
01b second backroom
01c third etc
99 is is Offsites and risers

So it did exactly the opposite of this. A quantity of 2 was needed, 01A had 2 and 01B had 10.
Logic basically said don't pull the 2 in 01A to eliminate a whole location. 😆 Logic must be flawed.
You can setup a simple test to figure how the logic. It's probably better with an NOP item that you have store tied, but it doesn't really matter.

1) Have an item with a sales floor capacity of X.
2) Set that items sales floor quantity to less than X.
3) Have the item located in each of the different types of locations you want to test, at the quantities you want to test.
4) Create an Item Fill for that item, go into and validate the pathing.
5) After testing is complete, audit the locations and set everything back to normal.

Because you don't really need to pull anything or physically have anything located anywhere, and as long as you clean up afterward, you can test to your hearts content without creating errors.

FYI when you decide to just create location without actually needing it impacts your path .
Not sure if you are aware but you essentially created a second Backroom.
01A is standard for stores with just one backroom
01b second backroom
01c third etc
99 is is Offsites and risers
I did this intentionally. My pathing is functioning as expected, but there seems to be logic code that creates a location preference based on some unkown attribute.

You can setup a simple test to figure how the logic. It's probably better with an NOP item that you have store tied, but it doesn't really matter.

1) Have an item with a sales floor capacity of X.
2) Set that items sales floor quantity to less than X.
3) Have the item located in each of the different types of locations you want to test, at the quantities you want to test.
4) Create an Item Fill for that item, go into and validate the pathing.
5) After testing is complete, audit the locations and set everything back to normal.

Because you don't really need to pull anything or physically have anything located anywhere, and as long as you clean up afterward, you can test to your hearts content without creating errors.
I actually was playing around today testing things. I think I might reach out to some business partners.
Maybe logic is old and needs an update Lol

I did this intentionally. My pathing is functioning as expected, but there seems to be logic code that creates a location preference based on some unkown attribute.
I understand you didn’t intentionally, however with bounce back and all they will look at location and they most likely question your Sd why would you create a second back room if you don’t have one .

My store has 3 full size backrooms and 9 satellite back rooms

99B receiving
99D dairy/satellite
99F frozen/satellite
99M meats/satellite
99P produce/satellite
01A floor 1
01B satellite
01C satellite
01E satellite
02A floor 2
02C satellite
02D satellite

I understand you didn’t intentionally, however with bounce back and all they will look at location and they most likely question your Sd why would you create a second back room if you don’t have one .
Why would it be an issue? I created a space and profiled it following bootcamp guidelines.
01A is main, 01B is secondary, 01C thru 01F are reserved for satellite and then 01G, 01H, etc are further profiling options.
I know not everyone knows what they are doing when it comes to backroom but I am qualified. I don't think they will question anything, but if they do, I can speak to it.

Last edited:
Why would it be an issue? I created a space and profiled it following bootcamp guidelines.
01A is main, 01B is secondary, 01C thru 01F are reserved for satellite and then 01G, 01H, etc are further profiling options.
Because you said your store utilizes 01a which is standard if you have one Backroom. Therefor the implication was that you only have one Backroom .
That’s why I said 01b second backroom
01c third etc

However for example I could not create a 01b because I only have one back room
Then 99b for receiving
And 99S for off-site

Because you said your store utilizes 01a which is standard if you have one Backroom. Therefor there implication was that you only have one Backroom .
That’s why I said 01b second backroom
01c third etc

However for example I could not create a 01b because I only have one back room
Then 99b for receiving
And 99S for
Ok ❤️

I've noticed this and my back room space is pretty straightforward without satellites, risers, etc. The path is consistent when it comes to open stock and case packs, but inconsistent when product is in more than one waco. I've attributed it to the "mysteries of Target."

Back