Archived p fresh and backroom issue with new STL.

• Thread starter Pfreshbackroomguy
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pfreshbackroomguy

Dont want to have this up anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have you and your CTL talk with your ETL food first and get his insight on the matter, then you can go from there

All I see is *****ing because now you guys have to go to the coolers and freezer to backstock.

If he wants the market team to backstock, then the market team needs to backstock no matter what the company says is best practice. You can challenge the STL, but he's probably not going to change his mind until someone higher up gets on him about it, or your team can make a convincing case and develop a plan for another way to get the work done. Taking gm and food trucks on the same day tends to result in one or the other truck getting done, or neither. Your CTL/ETL-HL should ask for those hours though. If backroom isn't backstocking your food trucks, then market should be getting the other 2-3 hours per truck for backstocking.

All you can do is make sure you TL and ETL have the info to go to your STL with. However, we all know best practice is ignored in stores by STLs all the time, even at the same time they are preaching best practice. Most likely your STL has the information but, since the company no longer provides the payroll needed to even get basic tasks done you will find stores doing all kinds of crazy things to survive. I would expect you STL will say fine, we will have logistics do it if your PAs do not want to but, those hours will have be cut from your market team to do so. That is harsh reality of Target now. They do not even pretend to care anymore.

If you can't get it done in less hours then you just aren't working hard enough.
After all other stores are doing it.
And of course we expect you to do it to best practices and not cut any corners.
Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Or at least that's what we got told over and over again.

That is absurd! However, at my store, Market hours are used to backstock the Pfresh truck anyways so I guess it's kinda the same thing. Just the PA's or myself don't do it. I also wanted to add a question hoping the poster or someone else could help. Are the CTL's at your stores scheduled under market hours or just Salesfloor, etc? I ask this because I was recently promoted to CTL from a PA and my predecessor and my hours are from Market. The problem with this is we already have low hours. As I mentioned, backstocking the pfresh truck comes out of those so that's 10 - 12 less per week. Also, how does one juggle doing team lead stuff (email, mysupport, vendors, salesplanners, etc) when also scheduled under market so that means all the Pfresh routines still have to be done by me when I'm there. Our SrTL's are scheduled under Salesfloor, no one else is. And our BRTL is scheduled under Logistics Zone so he doesn't, per say, have to do a full blown task list like I do plus I'm also responsible for backroom vendor areas, technically coolers and freezers in the BR, etc. I have been keeping my head above water just barely but am sick of not getting my 15 min breaks and still have to work 100 mph. Plus we are responsible for zoning all of Pfresh, coolers and freezers, and ALL of dry! I've seen the adjacency calendar and the week our salesplanners all change out, it estimated 36 hours just to set. Not to mention mapping, planning, signing. We didn't get a single extra hour that week and I single-handedly did about 90% of those and found out today that Plano got 30 hours for that. Why if I'm responsible to set these? Shouldn't market get these hours at least or have myself scheduled under a special workcenter so I can actually be a team lead and not be doing the job of 2 or 3. I don't want to come off as whining bc I am a very dedicated and hard worker but enough is enough. Any thoughts, ideas, or instances from your stores would be greatly appreciated!

At my store the back room is responsible for backstock. PAs should be keeping the floor full and clean. Make a list of all the important stuff that isn't getting done, team up with your CTL and diplomatically make the best case you can to your STL. If you don't make waves about this no one else is going to.

To pfreshbackroomguy-
There are hours for the PAs and CTL to backstock, just something else has to give on the floor. If cleaning doesn't get done in order to do backstock, so be it. Most of my posts have been pretty negative on the way Target in general treats food areas, especially PFresh. I work in a store where I am the sole PA. You just do what's needed to get the bare minimum done while you go back to school, transfer out of that workcenter, or quit Target altogether. Target doesn't give hours to staff any area properly, it's just more magnified in food with the amount of "required" daily tasks in addition to everything else required of the salesfloor team.

Perishables assistant-
My CTL's and my hours fall under market. We each get 40 and that is all of the hours for market. All I can say for salesplanners is that you need to start as early as possible to ensure they're done. Make time to map them out. Get your reties done first (although there's not too many of them, and even when there are reties something on the salesplanner changes). The bunkers and promo end can be set in a day. The cooler and freezer ends can be set in a day. I (the PA) make sure these all get set. We are never late on D144, 145, or 147. I took these over to make it easier for my CTL in addition to mapping out every other salesplanner for dry. I even print the product images for my receiving tm to give to vendors. I usually end up being told the Friday before all the salesplanners are due to set dry as well since my CTL "never has time" to set anything. So dry never gets done and I just don't care. That's ultimately his responsibility and I'm pretty sure he's about to get fired. My exec team is finally starting to clean house because our new DTL and group leader basically said heads are gonna roll if things don't improve.

Secondly, take your 15 min breaks. You aren't getting anything accomplished in that time that you couldn't squeeze in after your break when you feel a little refreshed.

Third, which kind of goes along with the first point (but I'm on mobile and don't feel like editing), look at transition workload tool. If the pog says "POG" or "REV" and not "SPL" then it is pog team's responsibility to set, not yours. I didn't realize until later that all of the bunkers for last week fell under pog. Pog got the hours for them and we did them.

Fourth, as far as vendor space goes in the backroom, make your vendors responsible for keeping it clean and organized. Partner with your receiving tm to see if they can help you out with this.

Finally, prioritize your tasks daily. For me, that's culling and TPCing/couponing, SDA, autofills and 7 am caf, research, pushing/backstocking the meat pallet (if it's a truck day), order (if it's an order day), pulls, then salesplanners/cleaning/any other project. I usually do the order an hour before I leave which then gives me about 15-30 minutes to work the remaining pulls before I leave at 230.

If you have any other questions you can PM me.

Our STL has actually cut all store hours, not just p fresh. Plus, we dont have the enough people to provide coverage for the floor and backstocking at the same time.

What I dont understand is everything at my store must be done by best practice or we can get in trouble for not doing so and yet, my STL adds this responsibility to us.

I printed out all the evedince we need. I gave that to my TL who will have a chat with our ETL food who then will hopefully talk to our STL.

What is funny, my TL thinks our STL is "after" us in p fresh, looking for anyway to get rid of us. She said this because of the new responsibilities plus him driving away 3 other ETLs since he arrived in mid-May. He wont even let the HR or ETL team call people in if they are behind or of someone called out no matter what.

It is pretty common for a failing STL to target and get rid of people. That way the STL can claim he/she is doing something about the problems whatever they may be. And it does not matter how long or how good you are, you can end up the target. It never works out in the long run, the STL alway ends up getting the boot but, they do massive damage to stores on the way out. I have seen it happen many many times. This is just the way Target runs now.

At my store backroom tm's do ALL the back stocking..I'm the CTL and their would be no way my team could back stock on top of what their expected to do on a daily basis.

Just because its not in core roles doesn't mean it can't be something that's part of your roles. If backstock is now p-fresh/market tm's responsibility then you should get hours allocated for it. Maybe your stl moved it to p-fresh TM responsibility because back room wasn't doing it right, they didn't have the people for it, etc.

To make backstock easier train your FDC push team to consolidate backstock, de-trash partial cases as much as possible, push to the piece, and obviously FIFO.

I agree it's your STL's store, it's his choice.

I work in a p-fresh store and the backstock is completed by a market tm, not the TL (they are both scheduled truck days). The sales floor team (TLs, softlines TMs, electronics TM, and LOD/ETLs in the building) push FDC. That's not my favorite thing to do considering I am the only hard lines TL (and have to manage AAR, PTM, endcaps, clearance). It works but it's not great. Hence the unfortunate reality of hour cuts and having tasks to complete at target.

The fact is HQ does not provide the stores the hours required to meet the standards they set up as best practices. Every store just has to try and figure out how to get things done the best way they can. Everybody is cheating to get green metrics, things go undone that are not messured, paper work is faked, and everybody is all over the store just trying to keep things from crashing down. The payroll needed to take care of food trucks just does not exist. Going P-fresh added tons more work and HQ never followed through with additional hours needed to maintain that. So other things are cut to do so. Its seem that in most stores either the Market team has almost no hours and does not take care of the food truck, or the market team does have hours and they do take of the food truck. And that is what is going to come down to. Your either going to have to do work you should not have to, or they will take away your hours so somebody else can. This is what Target has come to.

That is absurd! However, at my store, Market hours are used to backstock the Pfresh truck anyways so I guess it's kinda the same thing. Just the PA's or myself don't do it. I also wanted to add a question hoping the poster or someone else could help. Are the CTL's at your stores scheduled under market hours or just Salesfloor, etc? I ask this because I was recently promoted to CTL from a PA and my predecessor and my hours are from Market. The problem with this is we already have low hours. As I mentioned, backstocking the pfresh truck comes out of those so that's 10 - 12 less per week. Also, how does one juggle doing team lead stuff (email, mysupport, vendors, salesplanners, etc) when also scheduled under market so that means all the Pfresh routines still have to be done by me when I'm there. Our SrTL's are scheduled under Salesfloor, no one else is. And our BRTL is scheduled under Logistics Zone so he doesn't, per say, have to do a full blown task list like I do plus I'm also responsible for backroom vendor areas, technically coolers and freezers in the BR, etc. I have been keeping my head above water just barely but am sick of not getting my 15 min breaks and still have to work 100 mph. Plus we are responsible for zoning all of Pfresh, coolers and freezers, and ALL of dry! I've seen the adjacency calendar and the week our salesplanners all change out, it estimated 36 hours just to set. Not to mention mapping, planning, signing. We didn't get a single extra hour that week and I single-handedly did about 90% of those and found out today that Plano got 30 hours for that. Why if I'm responsible to set these? Shouldn't market get these hours at least or have myself scheduled under a special workcenter so I can actually be a team lead and not be doing the job of 2 or 3. I don't want to come off as whining bc I am a very dedicated and hard worker but enough is enough. Any thoughts, ideas, or instances from your stores would be greatly appreciated!

WTH does your plano team do? I dont get why almost everyone on here talks about setting all these salesplans and planograms and all that. I guess it is just store dependant? The only things I MIGHT set are the wine/alcohol endcaps in pfresh and in front of the main aisle. Any endcap changes our Planogram Team takes care of and they are never behind in their workload so Im confused as to what everyone elses plano team is exactly doing on these weeks where there are alot of salesplans for market? Also helps that the Plano TL was my former CTL =).

Also for my store we have a backroom TM scheduled with each C+S truck under Log Zone and they take care of all the backstock so it is always the same person doing it. Everyone else on the C+S team is also scheduled under log zone. Today I saw a sheet with allocated hours and I believe log zone was allocated 58 or so hours for that week, and Market was 98.

Also my CTL is scheduled under Market and doesnt close at all.

Last edited:
The fact is HQ does not provide the stores the hours required to meet the standards they set up as best practices. Every store just has to try and figure out how to get things done the best way they can. Everybody is cheating to get green metrics, things go undone that are not messured, paper work is faked, and everybody is all over the store just trying to keep things from crashing down. The payroll needed to take care of food trucks just does not exist. Going P-fresh added tons more work and HQ never followed through with additional hours needed to maintain that. So other things are cut to do so. Its seem that in most stores either the Market team has almost no hours and does not take care of the food truck, or the market team does have hours and they do take of the food truck. And that is what is going to come down to. Your either going to have to do work you should not have to, or they will take away your hours so somebody else can. This is what Target has come to.

Probably the best post and answer for any post regarding lack of hours or being pushed to do too much work, totally agree and it sucks. Our market team gets anywhere from 85-100 hours a week with the CTL scheduled under market working 5 opening shifts, 40 hours a week usually. Our C+S team is under log zone and we have the same backroom TM under log zone on truck days to do the backstock. Typically we do not have to help push the truck but sometimes we do if there is a large load. Mondays and Fridays we have 4 people pushing and then the 1 backroom TM. Wednesday we have 3 people pushing and the backroom TM. Our truck push is on the opposite days as the GM truck so it doesnt happen all at the same time like it used to. Makes it so much easier to not have everything going on at once and having the backroom be a total disaster.

Unfor they are changing our trucks and when they come in and what comes on them so we are going back to having freezer come in with produce and dairy again instead of freezer being on its own. Which means as the first stop we have to unload EVERY freaking pallet to get to freezer because they stack pallets longways and you cant get freezer out unless you unload most of the non freezer items. I def do not miss having the whole back of the line filled with other stores pallets as we got our 1 freezer pallet in the first section of freezer.

Last edited:
At my store, the PA and other Pfresh TMs are responsible for backstocking the Pfresh truck. That said, Dry Market is manned and zoned by other Hardlines TMs and Pfresh cafs are done by backroom TMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back