Archived Pay increase question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
My review score gave me a raise of 1.5%.......which is inconsistently effective.....that gives me 13 cents an hour.

If I go to talk with my HR or my STL and share some things that I think should be considered when doing a review is it possible to ask about getting a discretionary hourly rate increase? Or is the chance of this happening as good as a snowball's chance in H***?

With the score system as it is the inconsistently effective score is like getting a D grade. I know I'm not that bad of a worker.

Don't worry, I had to endure the same crap. Last year got an IE despite getting several big gtcs, multiple thank you cards, and a lot of positive feedback. Don't be fooled by these things, they're all fake methods of making you feel good.

The year I managed to get an E (right before I got promoted to GSA), I busted my ass off so hard thinking I could get that ex (I even got great team hero), and was still letdown. They'll always let you down even if you're the hardest worker. But the stupid hoe who has swag written all over her and is friends with the gstl probably just got an O.

**** Target.

I think there is a way to challenge it but I've never heard of anybody succeeding in changing their score, also remember not just performance is considered in reviews, its also based on attendance, availability (particularly weekends and nights), remembering your name tag, taking breaks on time, your attitude towards work and guests(if you work with them)

I've got open availability....excluding on weekday evening.
My attendance= 0 call-offs, 0 sick days, 0 no call/no show, no corrective action papers, I've picked-up shifts when the LOD has asked me to.
I've picked up shifts in electronics, fitting room, softlines, doing CAFs.
In nearly seven years I've forgotten my name tag 3 times.
As cashier, we hardly ever get our breaks on the exact scheduled times...but we're pretty good about getting to them within 15 to 20 minutes of the scheduled times. I was told that I do need to watch my 15 minute break times.
My attitude was written up as being positive every time I come in and that I am a good influence to Team Members.
My GSTL said twice that, as a cashier I am "amazing" and great with guests.
Guests comment on how much they like me....they tell the LODs or the GSTL.
My GSTL said that every time someone mentions my name she knows that the comments will be good.
My cashier speed is Green.
My GSTL says that I need to work on my productivity (although, said GSTL can't define "productivity.")

My negative areas: my Redcard conversion rate....but I'm asking all my guests that I know who don't already have Redcards. (Any LOD in my building can tell you that I ask guests.)
I am often scheduled to open in the morning and I struggle with being at the Front Lanes. I've been coached on this and I'm trying to work on it.

There are other things that don't seem to be addressed in our reviews....
I work in the photo lab when they need help. I've talked to tech support a couple of times because no one else knew anything about photo...and we've solved the problem.
When we have management or other upper level Target visitors I'm comfortable going to them and speaking with them.
I've talked with our 2 AP Team Members about coupon issues...numerous issues.
I talk with our LODs about issues....price problems, stuff not ringing up according to the ad. I talk to them about Redcards.
Our regular DTL knows me by name and I often talk with him.....asking him questions or giving feedback.
I get carts when I'm asked.
When I have an appointment, instead of requesting the day off, I talk with our HR clerical so she can schedule me if I'm needed.
I'm flexible and help out where and when I can.

Looking at these things, I don't see myself as "inconsistently effective." I may not be "outstanding," but I'm more than what I've been rated.

So, with this extra information will I get anywhere by talking to my STL or ETL-HR?

Tonight before closing I told my STL that I wanted to talk with him.
We only had a few minutes because he had to lead the huddle.

Long story short.....he's aware of my unhappiness and we're going to meet again to go over some of the things that I don't really think are covered on the review.

Anyway, he's out tomorrow and I'll be off for vacation time.....but he is well aware that we'll finish this conversation later.

BTW, he says that "inconsistently effective" really is a pretty good review.......somehow I'm not sure I believe it.

I'll fill you all in when I see my STL one day next week.

"Inconsistantly effective" really is a pretty good review?!
In WHAT @#$! universe?!

The rest of your store's scores must REALLY suck if an IE is a "pretty good review".

Does anyone know of anybody who got a U?

I haven't. I'm pretty sure if I had managed to stick around until review time they'd have given me one though lol.

There is probably a number of U they need to give, but nobody is going to brag about it.

@pellinore, there is no point talking with them to increase your pay. Target does not do that. If you want to get more money, and/or get a better review next year, you need to sit with your TL and your ETL, together and ask them ''How can I get Outstanding review next year, and/or, how can I work in backroom/food ave/electronics/signing/pharmacy/... (higher pay-grades work-centers). You need to know your strength and opportunities, and whatever feedback they give you to work on, try to do that, and sit with them every month or two and ask again for a feedback... If you do awesome job, and even better job than your peers, that is not a valid reason to ask for more money at Target. That awesome job is going to reflect on your next review.

CrazyTarget, thanks so much for your reply. I know that my chances of an increase is pretty darn slim. However, it was at least worth a try. Also, there are areas that aren't addressed on our Reviews. While I probably won't make any headway or much progress it is still worth spending just a little more time with my STL.

I've pretty much decided that my future at Target is limited. No matter how much I love what I do, I cannot continue to at my current hourly rate. Considering that Target is my only job and I'm still making less than $9.00 an hour it is about time to think of where my future will take me.

As an aside, many of you may have read in other threads and have seen how difficult it is for me to work with my GSTLs. This situation has not gotten any better and it is becoming an unhealthy work environment for me. I need to make changes.
This is going to be difficult for me because there are many guests and some TMs that I really enjoy. Leaving will, in some ways, be difficult.

I'm taking some vacation days right now and I hope to make progress in writing a resume. It will take some time, but I'm hoping to have a new job sometime this Summer.

Wishing you well in all your endeavors...

For my two cents' worth, you obviously are trained in various workcenters, and...hmmm...how can I say....I'm sure that some are more valued than others, perhaps depending upon the store, the management, etc....

That said, sounds like you're at a turning point. Sounds kinda like you're wondering, OK, do I spend weeks, months, years maybe, jumping from one frying pan to the other, or into the fire....

To be brutally blunt, as someone who frankly burned out on retail in general while Bill Clinton was still in office, you might do well to do both of the following:

Learn anything you think you can learn from Spot while you can, and take some real good long looks at yourself, your life, and where you want it to go vs. where it is now, and make some tough, but hopefully rewarding choices.

it would be nice if I could recommend something in particular, but i dunno if you crave a career that necessitates further education, or if you just want to own your own business or whatever.

All I can say is you might as well go for it while you ( presumably...? ) don't have a mortgage, or kids, or the usual reasons people give for not going for what they want to do anyway.

Besides, the [-]331 with it anyway...even if you stay in the same "Spot" for the next 6 months or year, it doesn't HAVE to be forever, does it?

( Sorry. rant over. Tough month. Best of luck. )

There were at least 3 U's at mine... and I don't think any of my cashiers got anything more than an E. Most were IE.

I must be doing something wrong. The TMs cried over the last two reviews I gave. "That's the nicest thing anybody at Target has ever said about me." "I was so scared to come in for my review because the last few years have been so brutal, I went home and cried. Now I'm crying because you were so nice to me."

I use the review to build the TM up, to give them the confidence to do a better job. Yes, I point out their opportunities, but I do it in a positive way so that we can work together. I absolutely emphasize the strengths. Do we really have to say mean things to the TMs and then insult them with a $0.13 raise?

Y'all know how much I love Target. I've been called a shill so many times I'm thinking about changing my posting name. But I hate the reviews and I hate the (lack of) raises. A system that determines how many Es or EXs or IEs we give without regard to the actual PEOPLE is not a good system. It would as effective if we just drew names out of a hat and assigned scores. Oh wait, I think that's what we did.

My "raise" was 9cent. I didn't agree with half of what she said and I didn't realize non-cashiers were graded on conversions. There were some flattering things said, but the untruths bothered me enough that I have no desire to work on the few things I agreed with... at Target.

My "raise" was 9cent. I didn't agree with half of what she said and I didn't realize non-cashiers were graded on conversions. There were some flattering things said, but the untruths bothered me enough that I have no desire to work on the few things I agreed with... at Target.

Your raise was determined Well before any review was even written, and didn't necessarily reflect upon your true strengths and opportunities merely adjusted to correspond to your overall grade. The key is to sell the crap outta yourself, and pretentious in way. Every team member had a conversation grade, even STL, but for the salesfloor it's not something that has real weight on your raise, just a strength or opportunity.

I honestly don't even care about the raise part. I didn't even expect a raise after only 9mos working there, but the review was bs. I realized the only reason I had all those cashier and fitting room shifts in the past couple weeks was so they could grade me on it. I'm not bad in the fitting room, but after the random cashier shifts, I walked into work thinking "yaay, back on the floor" just to be put in the fitting room. I let my anger get the best of me and I didn't do everything I should have. Annnd, I was anxious as hell because I knew the review was coming and I was all "am I bad on the floor, why am I in here!??!"

My grades for fitting room and cashier were based on 2 shifts (of each) in the 2 weeks prior to the review... the review that was for work done in 2012. I just didn't think the review was fair or accurate

My review was done by the GSTL and based solely on front lanes stuff even though I have only had 6 hours of cashiering since Christmas and my title on my check stub is Fitting Room TM. I have no idea what that's about. $0.14 raise here.

Reading thru these posts it is nice to know that there are others who find the review process and the wage increase as insulting as I do.

If Target wasn't so good at promoting its own self then it wouldn't seem so bad. However, it irks me to see the ad every week about how Target is on target to give money to schools across the country. Really? How fair is that?

It is also bothersome for me to read about all the school libraries they fix up. (I'm not against libraries, just Target's way of doing them.)

What about all the money they put in to community events? Or how about all the sports people we sponsor? Or the planned opening of over 200 stores in Canada by the end of year?

There are other money things that bother me....but I think that I've said enough for this post for now.

Honestly, before Target goes and gives a bunch of money away, they should take care of their TMs first.

Its all a publicity stunt though. Target donates money, and people think Target is such a great corporation for all the giving they do.

Its so ****ed up.

I'm back...

For a number of summers I worked at a seasonal outdoor entertainment park. This park also has year round entertainment parks. It is a huge company. Each year, if you qualified, you were asked back. One of the neat things about this place was that each year when you returned to work you got an automatic ten cent raise.....and one year when the minimum wage increased in my state, we got a twenty-five cent raise...AND the ten cent raise. So, from one summer to the next I got a thirty-five cent raise. They could have chosen not to give the ten cent raise that one year (seeing that we got an increase because of the minimum wage change)....but they did. While ten cents a summer wasn't a lot, they did reward people for coming back to work. To me, it was more than a reasonable raise....because for seasonal work there is a slightly different standard for hourly workers.

The point is...if a seasonal entertainment park can give its employees an extra dime every year, then why can't other companies? Companies like ours? Oh wait.....I still work at Target (but hopefully not for long!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back