Archived Pda Question??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just wondering if there is anyway you can access the desktop on the pda/pdt?? Or if you can go in the settings and change the noise? In our stores the backroom members arent allowed pda's. we only can use the big looking gun things with those bulky holsters.

The big looking gun thing in the holster, is a PDA. The reason is sound is up, because you are backstocking in the freezer.

Im just wondering if there is anyway you can access the desktop on the pda/pdt?? Or if you can go in the settings and change the noise? In our stores the backroom members arent allowed pda's. we only can use the big looking gun things with those bulky holsters.

I exclusively used the "big" PDAs (the small hand held ones are generally called LPDAs to distinguish them). If you plug them into the docking cradle at your store (this is what is used to restore/reconfigure them) you should get a popup about Microsoft Sync or something to that effect. You can use that to browse the file system. I would put a couple mp3s on there to listen to while in the freezer (you have very limited free space so make it count!)

If you hit Ctrl+O while NOT in RFApps (there may be other exceptions as well, I know it does work for sure on the toggle screen), you get a "open file" dialog, you can use that to browse the file system and open songs/applications/etc. You can open word pad and write a note! :) I recall there being a show desktop link of some kind, but I dont remember if it still works.

When you say "change the noise" do you mean use different sounds (see above) or just adjust the volume? There are volume buttons on the keyboard, you hit the blue button then the letter next to the volume icon, I want to say G or H or something over there? its on the right side of the keyboard.

The big looking gun thing in the holster, is a PDA. The reason is sound is up, because you are backstocking in the freezer.
I'm not sure how freezers come into play or how they would really affect sound in any appreciable way. Maybe its different in a larger Super freezer, but there wasn't really echo if that's what you're saying?

I know a couple secret menus for the PDA's but I have to have one in front of me, I can't name the button combinations off the top of my head. They don't do anything terribly exciting though.

yeah just wondering what else you can do with the pda's. my gun today which i hide because its faster than others and is newer actually broke :( !!!! i was scanning some items and the dam thing said i did some fatal error and the screen turned white!!! It wont reset or anything which pisses me off. It doesnt even respond. I dont know what the problem is but now im stuck with going up to tsc and hoping that i get a decent one!

Since the recent system upgrade we had to send out four PDAs for service. The installing of the upgrade literally killed them!:senile:

our stores are different. If something goes wrong with the pdas they just wont give them out! theyd rather us be short than to spend the money! so i been told.

Hold the power down & the fall 2010 screen will show up. Do the cross hairs games on the PDA while walking to br. You are good to go.

yeah i tried that!!! It just wont go to that screen!! ill legit hold the power down for 5 min and nothing happens :(

If you need to do a hard reset on the PDA, you can do it multiple ways. The first way is to do so graphically, which is to log out completely and then click on "Device Diagnostic" or something. Then click on the last option, which should be a total device reset. The PHYSICAL way to do it, which variably works or doesn't depending on whether the PDA battery/dock is damaged, is to pull out the battery half way and hold the power&trigger button.

If this doesn't reset it, and the yellow light blinks, it's not going to work. Then you have to kind of jimmy with the battery, holding the trigger and power button while pushing the battery in somehow (I do it against my stomach) to try and enter...I think it's IPA mode? Either way, that's the second way to do a hard reset.

Yeah thanks! i cant log out or anything! I turn the pda on and it just displays a white screen! Its not responsive to any buttons at all! Tomorrow im going to try the other option you gave me which was to pull the battery halfway out and to hold the trigger and power button. Thanks!!

I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the new software rollout, seems HQ really butchered this one. I just sent out two bricked PDA's. I can't believe that there isn't the ability to do a bit more in the store. It looks like the upgrade just got butchered, I can't believe there is no way to put it in a recovery type mode that the PC would recognize it in. And for the person hiding PDA's, good thing you don't work at my store, I hunt people down that do that. ;)

Last edited:
I agree with you Squid, if I caught someone hiding a PDA in my store they'd be on fast track for a write up AND coaching. Also, I have managed to entirely avoid sending "bricked" PDA's "in for repair", because most often the hard reset fixes them.

What you can do as well that uses the same method as the "hard reset" is to do the trigger and power button WHILE it's on the dock to ENTIRELY RESET the installed software. This fixes them if the update bricks them as well. There should be a manual for them available for team leads or ETL's in your store, please read it.

Well I decided to hide a pda because they never have any up at tsc and they make me go looking for one which i dont understand!! They give them out to the people who dont need them! They should hold a minimum amount of pdas for the backroom. I tend to get my work done with the faster pdas. The older ones lagg and ill be sitting there for awhile! The newer ones make a slightly different beep than the others

It has nothing to do with "older" or "Newer". Typically the PDA's are not reset for days, weeks, or months at a time. If you've ever tried to keep your PC on for this long, you would notice the same thing happening. Typically the hard reset I described fixes these "issues" and I get myself a working PDA. Regardless: You do not hide PDA's. Best Practice dictates that all PDA's must be kept in TSC and turned in likewise once their use is completed, and IF YOU DO truly absolutely "need" a PDA for your job (planogram set, for example), then just tell management you need one and wait. It's win/win, as you get to sit and collect money in the meanwhile.

But never, ever, EVER, hide a PDA. It WILL get you in trouble.

It has nothing to do with "older" or "Newer". Typically the PDA's are not reset for days, weeks, or months at a time. If you've ever tried to keep your PC on for this long, you would notice the same thing happening. Typically the hard reset I described fixes these "issues" and I get myself a working PDA. Regardless: You do not hide PDA's. Best Practice dictates that all PDA's must be kept in TSC and turned in likewise once their use is completed, and IF YOU DO truly absolutely "need" a PDA for your job (planogram set, for example), then just tell management you need one and wait. It's win/win, as you get to sit and collect money in the meanwhile.

But never, ever, EVER, hide a PDA. It WILL get you in trouble.

Actually there are two slightly different models. The newer one has an external speaker on the back just above the trigger and it also has working toggle/logout buttons (the green/red little buttons on the front of the pda). The newer ones are noticeably more responsive in my experience.

yep the old ones are the MC9060 and the new ones are MC9090. The old ones, you have to press Esc to toggle and the new ones use the green dot button.

At my store, a lot of people hide PDAs/LPDAs, especially Team Leaders. I'd like to see a TL try to coach me about hiding one, when I know they hide 3 or 4 at time, for their TMs.

At my store, a lot of people hide PDAs/LPDAs, especially Team Leaders. I'd like to see a TL try to coach me about hiding one, when I know they hide 3 or 4 at time, for their TMs.

Our BR TL grabs them for his team when he arrives. It is then his team's responsibility to sign them out. We have a new system in place. If you find a PDA that is not signed out you get a $5 gift card. I don't now how many gift cards they've given out. We're overnights and sometimes I'll find one the closing team did not return. (Those count, too.)

Actually there are two slightly different models. The newer one has an external speaker on the back just above the trigger and it also has working toggle/logout buttons (the green/red little buttons on the front of the pda). The newer ones are noticeably more responsive in my experience.

I believe that the easiest way to tell the difference is that the older ones have five dots just above the screen, while the newer ones have three... They also cold boot differently!

I only hide my holster because I hate struggling to adjust the straps on them

Also, to do a cold reboot is to remove battery & hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in.
On slow poke PDA's, go to your mobile cradle & reboot unit from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back