Archived Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive been with Target for only a short period of time, since November 2015. I was hired and trained as an ETL-HR then they told me I was going to be ETL-GE/SF, with no formal training in that area. I immediately began looking for another job. I feel completely lied to about this job. During my interviews I asked what the normal expectations were. I was told I would spend four days in the office and one shift as a leader on duty. It's been completely the opposite of that. They touted unlimited personal days yet when I try to use one I'm given the death stare like I just kicked their dog. "Well how are we going to cover that shift?" Not my problem when I need personal time. I applied to an HR ETL position and was trained for that yet they want me to be GE/SL...All of my professional experience and Bachelors degree are in HR so how does that make sense? So good riddance Target! I will be actively sharing my experience with candidates and discouraging them from accepting offers.

It makes me sad because I was truly excited to work for Target but the way everything was handled was a complete nightmare. Professionally this was the worst experience I've had. All of my current stores team leads are job hunting. Very sad.

Sad to say I am not completely surprised.
Switching you was basically a test.
If you went along and did the best you could with a smile on your face, then you would have proved to be proper Spot material.

Feeling betrayed and shat upon, while proper and human proved you to be not worthy of the company.

Does anyone know why they shuffle the ETLs the way they do? We had a great ETL-HR they switched her to another area and put someone who had no HR experience in her position.

ETLs and TLs are under this Target rule called "churn". What that means is when you are made a TL of soft lines or ETL HR you will be in that role for 18 months. You cannot break churn or change positions in that time frame unless there's a diar circumstance or business need. Furthermore they want to develop leaders and give them a wide base of knowledge concerning store ops; theoretically this would make them more qualified to move up. So when a TL or ETL does 18 months of HR they move them into something new.

If I had a degree I would NOT be working in retail, anywhere. That seems kinds nuts, really... 4 years of college for THAT?

Jkz3WYD.gif

If I had a degree I would NOT be working in retail, anywhere. That seems kinds nuts, really... 4 years of college for THAT?

Jkz3WYD.gif
Lol that gif. I plan on becoming an ETL once I finish my degree in a year. Retail is what I'm good at and I enjoy it for the most part. I don't want to sit in a cubicle bored out of my mind browsing the same damn reddit front page I've looked at the for past 8 hours.

I think it takes a certain type of person and it also depends heavily on the environment.
When I started as an ETL in Fall - my first placement was a store that would of certainly driven me to quit by the end of 2016.
Now I'm in a better place where I can easily still see a future with Spot.

It's unfortunate. I think Target is a great company to work for when it comes to retail - but only if you're in the right place. My DTL/GTL/BP's are all pretty fantastic. I'm sure there are others that aren't. My current store's leadership team is all pretty great. I know firsthand many other stores are not. Those differing circumstances can cause a lot of diversity in whether working for a company is great or not. If my higher ups hadn't of been willing to listen, understand, and work with me on improving my situation in my last position - then I would definitely of been on the anti-Spot side. The fact that they are trying to make the necessary improvements at my old store but also immediately helped me and found a solution that worked for both of us - shows me that it's a company I'd like to work for.

Whether that means I'll be with Target for the long haul - I don't know yet. Was never where I saw myself making a long term career. Still have a lot of ideas running through my head but I'm not unhappy where I'm at.

I'm sorry that you got the stale end - unfortunately there's a lot of that in a business like this with so many different/diverse groups/levels of leadership + just such a large company in general.

I am getting the F out Kartman, and greatly look forward to it! It's sad that there is a lot of talent at Target, but unfortunately, it's stuck in a culturally stagnant company.

You were on the bench. You had this pie in the sky fantasy that retail could almost provide you the m-f 9-5 dream job you wanted. Vacation is easy to come by if you put in timely requests. I was on the bench since the same time you were and worked GE/SFL for 6 months and rocked it. I went above and beyond, helped drag my store up off the redlist, green steritech visits in a market hadnt seen one in awhile, revamped my SFL processes back to best practice and boom Im now etl-Log. Resiliency is key, you were never cut out for this environment. Have fun in your office and taking that pay cut

hate to break it to you but having a college degree does not guarantee anyone a cushy office job making $50k-60k/yr. the fact is, there are a lot of us with college degrees that work retail because that's all there is.

hate to break it to you but having a college degree does not guarantee anyone a cushy office job making $50k-60k/yr. the fact is, there are a lot of us with college degrees that work retail because that's all there is.
This. I am in grad school, earned a liberal arts B.A. 4 years ago and am still figuring out my life. I'm getting tired of other TMs going "whyy are you here?"

It makes me sad because I was truly excited to work for Target but the way everything was handled was a complete nightmare. Professionally this was the worst experience I've had. All of my current stores team leads are job hunting. Very sad.
Target is a very busy place, you should expect to be a part of almost everything, Especially if you are upper management. That's the job. It's not a quiet office position anywhere. Not even HR. Just yesterday our HR rep was out pushing pulls and a few weeks ago our ETLHR was pulling cafs. That's the name of the game. Sorry you didnt like it, but those who love the retail world understand it's the busiest profession out there! Woop

Status
Not open for further replies.