People are HORRIBLE on the walkie talkies!!!!

Unfortunately I didn’t do enough research before applying but seems like Target these days and in this modern era, They don’t train you well or don’t really give a fuck about you personally. It’s just laziness and there’s so much bias and I think I heard there are few Target stores where there isn’t much drama or gossiping or just unorganized work and those types of things happen at my work often. They don’t respect Cart Attendants much at all prob me the most cus I’m not Politically correct or a snowflake but at the end of the day, It should be about doing what needs to get done and helping eachother out and if those type of people won’t no matter the case, I’ll just figure it out and do it myself. That’s why I’m only cool with a few people but pretty much 99% of the people there, I would never consider a friend or someone I would hang with outside of work. It’s just bullshit and probably just as bad as my old job at the car wash I worked at. It’s sad that Target allows shit like that and yet they call themselves one of the best retail companies. 😂

Those be the worse, HEY WE NEED A RESPONSE IMMEDIATELY, And they continue to be annoying. When I’m legit busy especially if I’m getting carts and they try to talk to me to do something else or whatever, I just don’t respond. I have too much to do as a cart attendant and can’t always help out.
I understand this sentiment, but for me as a Service Advocate, it's extremely frustrating when you are calling for a specific TM or department that's required for fulfilling a Guest's need at the Service Desk.

When I can, I do things like running the hanger bin and manageable guest carryouts myself, but when I'm 1 of 2 Service Advocates juggling returns, Drive-Ups, answering the phone, backed up lanes, while trying to keep the area clean, there's only so much you can do. It takes 2 seconds to say "Hey, I'm with a guest or I'm pushing carts" so we can find another option, don't just leave TMs hanging, because we're the ones who have to deal with the fallout. I promise some of us don't use the walkie to hear ourselves talk. :p

It also looks really stupid on our end when we are standing with a guest awkwardly trying to call for assistance and not getting an answer from anyone.

I seriously wish our front end would stop calling out for "A Block", "C and D", etc. If you need Beauty, call "beauty". If you need Paper, call "paper". If you want Plastics, call "plastics". There are people in specific areas or covering them. Don't make the paper tm answer a question about beauty when the beauty tm is there. It's just dumb.

I seriously wish our front end would stop calling out for "A Block", "C and D", etc. If you need Beauty, call "beauty". If you need Paper, call "paper". If you want Plastics, call "plastics". There are people in specific areas or covering them. Don't make the paper tm answer a question about beauty when the beauty tm is there. It's just dumb.
I wish they would do that with Softlines as well. We usually have someone in Kids, Ready to Wear, and Mens at night, but they just call Softlines.

If I'm ignoring my radio I am 99%of the time with a guest, on the phone, or in the stockroom lol.

But usually I'll tell guest service, I'm with a guest , that gets them to chill.

The ignoring thing, that was hell when Manning the phones.

Listen to guest.
Put guest on hold.
"Hardlines, you have a guest on 2280 for bedding."
No response, hopefully they pick it up.
Ring back.
Upset guest, who is still reasonable but annoyed as fuck.
"Hardlines, the guest is still holding on 2280."
Guest rings back again, very angry.
"Hardlines."
"Hardlines, do you copy?"

Finally "I'm with a guest."

Thanks so much for the pissed off guest, fuckhead. It's not like being told that the first time I walkie'd you would have made a difference. Oh, but wait, it would have.

If I can juggle a multi-line phone plus guests in front of me, you can take three seconds to tell me you are with a guest.

Listen to guest.
Put guest on hold.
Ring back.
"Hardlines."

Thanks so much for the pissed off guest, fuckhead. It's not like being told that the first time I walkie'd you would have made a difference. Oh, but wait, it would have.

If I can juggle a multi-line phone plus guests in front of me, you can take three seconds to tell me you are with a guest.
I will bet they were lying anyway. Lol, sorry, too cynical?

You are probably the only one I've ever heard say that they didn't mind answering the phone. I hated being the "operator" and I hate getting guest calls. I'm pretty sure my entire store feels the same way.

I didn't come to Target from another retail store. I moved and I couldn't find a job in my field. My background is administrative/clerical, so plenty of receptionist duties.

This past couple years I've come to hate phones, but that's because my hearing has worsened and I'm certain I should have hearing aids. (Audiologist told me I needed them 10 years ago but i thought she might be exaggerating for money.) Phone work is more difficult than face to face when it comes to understanding words and filling in the logical words for the ones I'm not hearing.

Last edited:

Listen to guest.
Put guest on hold.
Ring back.
"Hardlines."

The trick is to always do this:

“Team member in Domestics?”

wait for them to respond then say, “You have a call on 2280 for bedding.”

Did that several times. Did you know that you can call for someone five or six times in a row and get no answer? If I nailed them once already for a call that night in that manner, getting a response depended on someone in leadership getting annoyed enough to also call for them on the walkie.

I didn't come to Target from another retail store. I moved and I couldn't find a job in my field. My background is administrative/clerical, so plenty of receptionist duties.

This past couple years I've come to hate phones, but that's because my hearing has worsened and I'm certain I should have hearing aids. (Audiologist told me I needed them 10 years ago but i thought she might be exaggerating for money.) Phone work is more difficult than face to face when it comes to understanding words and filling in the logical words for the ones I'm not hearing.
You should get them (HAs). I know they're expensive but the regulations on Hearing Aids has been changed to allow more competition that will reduce prices (and certainly quality but thats an argument for another time). So they should become more affordable soon.

I wish they would do that with Softlines as well. We usually have someone in Kids, Ready to Wear, and Mens at night, but they just call Softlines.

Style is the worst to get ahold of. If you just call style, it'll be crickets. So, I always say something like "Style, can someone help a guest in women's performance?" or whatever department. That usually gets a response. If it doesn't and I have to call out again than their TL or ETL will get on the walkie and call out the specific TM assigned for the area.

But, I'm also sneaky about it when I need to be. I typically know which of our style DBOs are in the building at any given time. So, if a guest needs help in girls but there's no one there for girls, I'll call out that a guest needs help in YC or infants or whatever. Somewhere close. Then, when I get a response, I'll say whoops sorry that was for girls....I meant girls. I'm evil that way.

One of my favorites:

TM: mizl, please, mizl?
Me: Go ahead.
TM: Can you go to 4?
Me: (switches) I'm on 4. (pause) ... I'm on 4. (pause) ... Hey, I'm on 4. (goes back to 1) Team, who was calling mizl? ... Okay, I guess it wasn't that important.
TM: mizl, please, mizl??
Me: 😑

Another favorite is people who just call out vague requests into the ether. "Can someone come to (aisle)?" Forrrrr what?? Or "Hey team I have a spill in (aisle)." Cool but you need to be a lot more specific than that, is it a biohazard, is it chemical, is it broken glass, what do I need to bring. Sometimes I ask whoever was calling to go to 4 but most of the time that doesn't work so I end up just responding on channel 1 like "hey you need to be more specific, what do you need".

OH WAIT but my ABSOLUTE favorite is when I'm trying to get stuff done on the computer (emails, NPS, responding to guest comments, all the dumb finicky stuff I need to do) and someone calls me and asks me to come up to a register or SCO... just to say "hey I'm gonna go on my break" or "this is $10 and the guest said it was $9 should I change it" or something they really didn't need me for. I'm trying to work on 1. empowerment so they realize they don't need to call me nearly so much and 2. walkie etiquette so they know they can just ask me on a different channel, but it's slow going.

My peeve is people who go right into what they need from someone without asking for them first. “Pete I need a price check on a toy.” “Barb, I have guest who is look for a ...” Instead of “Pete in Toys?” then waiting for a response so they can ask their question. I don’t know how many times I’ve been up a ladder or with a guest and the person will just keep yapping on before I can tell them it will take a sec before I can help them.

Also, TMs who won’t go off channel one with a long exchange about anything.
This. Especially when they tell you to do something that’s on the opposite corner of the store. Like are there any other team members nearby? Lol

I do that when I don't know who is there. Or if they ask what part, I respond. I will then ask the softlines person to go to three and get more specific.

Seriously its an elite few who really pay attention and utilize our walkie features and are considerate of the etiquette. Its always bad if they have to say does anyone have a visual or does anyone have eyes on so and so. If your walkie is out or you dont have one let a fellow/nearby tm know so they can respond for you.
True, although I do make allowance for one TM at my store who has verbal communication issues. Not sure if he's on the autism spectrum or if it's something else going on, but a few of us who work near his area kind of keep an ear out.

I listen to everyone’s walkie conversations while I’m in cash office because bored and lack of human interaction. So many conversations are so unnecessary, but what gets me the most is the amount of attitude that gets thrown around. It’s at least amusing for me though.
When I'm on breaks out of the building I listen too, lol!

I listen to everyone’s walkie conversations while I’m in cash office because bored and lack of human interaction. So many conversations are so unnecessary, but what gets me the most is the amount of attitude that gets thrown around. It’s at least amusing for me though.
I lowkey feel this at times. Then there’s convos I wish I didn’t hear.

I have a TM who wants to hear what people are talking in other channel. Especially when team leaders are talking . Felt weird !

Back