Perfect sort (inbound)

Is "perfect sort" a new thing in receiving? It's taken inbound from 1 hour of sorting the truck to almost 4 hours now. It's like modernization all over again. Can someone explain this new process and how is it going so far at yor store? I far as I can tell, it doesn't help me push that much faster.

“ perfect sort” as you put it was something that I was tasked with to do and succeeded . I am a triple A store with doubles and triple trucks. P1 and market comes in at 4 inbound comes at 6, by 6:45 p1 and market should already move into truck.And the process revolves around safety most of it as well as a deeper sort I don’t know why your inbound is taking from an 1h to 4h now. Does the team consist of 5 people sorting , a thrower and a p2 pusher? If not that’s why they would take longer . There is no longer secondary sort. Zone 4, 15 and combos gets sorted as they come off the truck . 3 goes straight on the dbo vehicles. By having a deeper sort you will utilize more vehicles hence why I have a p2 pusher scheduled under inbound , so that should make the push faster .
One truck should not take more than 2h. Keep in mind That even with triple trucks they have to be done in 4.75. Inbound is no longer scheduled full shifts.
So yes the process work , and Im sorry. I have a lot of stores calling me and complain about it .

“ perfect sort” as you put it was something that I was tasked with to do and succeeded . I am a triple A store with doubles and triple trucks. P1 and market comes in at 4 inbound comes at 6, by 6:45 p1 and market should already move into truck.And the process revolves around safety most of it as well as a deeper sort I don’t know why your inbound is taking from an 1h to 4h now. Does the team consist of 5 people sorting , a thrower and a p2 pusher? If not that’s why they would take longer . There is no longer secondary sort. Zone 4, 15 and combos gets sorted as they come off the truck . 3 goes straight on the dbo vehicles. By having a deeper sort you will utilize more vehicles hence why I have a p2 pusher scheduled under inbound , so that should make the push faster .
One truck should not take more than 2h. Keep in mind That even with triple trucks they have to be done in 4.75. Inbound is no longer scheduled full shifts.
So yes the process work , and Im sorry. I have a lot of stores calling me and complain about it .

Can you please come to my store and teach them how to do it? I'm lucky on the days I don't find a 2 on a home vehicle.

This is the first time that I’ve heard of this. Is there a guide for this similar to when sort and stock was released?

I'm not sure how many people is involved in inbound sorting. I just know as a GM, our receiving is a hot mess lately. Thanks for the explaination though. Hoping it improves.

What is secondary sort?

A little confused. What’s the difference between this and the normal unload?
Well let’s see you have 4.5 h to unload 2 or 3 trucks. While maintaining safety at all times meaning no unloading on docks , nothing or third or 4th aisles in receiving , no uboats under the steal during the unload , no vehicles higher than 5.4 . No empty pallets in the truck , no tv or spills , no boxes ever on the ground as well as no transition on pallets. No pallets what’s so ever. Zone ,2,4 , 15 and combos gets sorted right off the line. No staging of any repacks .

No boxes on the ground or transition on pallets? What next level insanity is this. How do you get a team to be that efficient.
One that works .I was able to do it. Everything goes straight on vehicles for the dbos. The part that all the stores are missing from this process is having that p2 person scheduled under inbound. That person is there to maintain your p2 vehicles short by pushing . Depends on what comes most in the truck I have them sustain that area. Right now is all the home decor transition I partner with the GMTL for p2 to set their salesplaners early. Since we all know around this time is all the nutcrackers , blankets, pillow and candles coming off the truck. Your inbound team will get better at it if you explain the whys behind it.

Last edited:
I've been trying to explain this to my TL & ETL since allnew2 began talking about it. The only thing I've heard is backlash. The laugh at me while they continue to do things pre modernization while working under modernization rules. My TL has NEVER read the work instructions on Workbench.

The only feedback I've received is that I'm too slow. Strange how the line stays full while I wait for them to unload. Then they add to the line and wonder why I can't keep up. Or when I am stuck unloading "trash pallets side by side, six deep in the middle of the trailer. I hear your taking too long.

Needless to say I'll be heading down the road.

We are so screwed with these changes.

Pics of our trailers and other things later.

I've been trying to explain this to my TL & ETL since allnew2 began talking about it. The only thing I've heard is backlash. The laugh at me while they continue to do things pre modernization while working under modernization rules. My TL has NEVER read the work instructions on Workbench.

The only feedback I've received is that I'm too slow. Strange how the line stays full while I wait for them to unload. Then they add to the line and wonder why I can't keep up. Or when I am stuck unloading "trash pallets side by side, six deep in the middle of the trailer. I hear your taking too long.

Needless to say I'll be heading down the road.

We are so screwed with these changes.

Pics of our trailers and other things later.
Sorry to hear about this. You are not the only one that struggles with their etl in regards to this process. From what I gather from other Tl from other stores was that the etl or Sd don’t really understand what this process entail , some have said to me that their sd or etl has said ohh this process is about p1 and market coming in before the truck and that’s it. But is not that if you think about it’s safety all around , if p1 and market comes in at 4 , unload comes at 6 and by 6:45 those two teams are moving into the truck you will be able to maintain safety with your vehicles, hence why the p2 pusher is schedule under inbound to maintain safety as well.

One that works .I was able to do it. Everything goes straight on vehicles for the dbos. The part that all the stores are missing from this process is having that p2 person scheduled under inbound. That person is there to maintain your p2 vehicles short by pushing . Depends on what comes most in the truck I have them sustain that area. Right now is all the home decor transition I partner with the GMTL for p2 to set their salesplaners early. Since we all know around this time is all the nutcrackers , blankets, pillow and candles coming off the truck. Your inbound team will get better at it if you explain the whys behind it.

I got so fed up with the secrecy of trailer contents, I've started breaking them down with greenfield so we can do exactly what you doing with large numbers of dpci's; wipes, tv's under 50", and whatever else comes in excessive amounts. The problem is that I have no one to hand them off to get thing rolling. The team gets it and likes the idea of getting things out if the way that would otherwise overwhelm our u-boats.

We sort transition right off the line on to pallets that are in everyone's way. Talk about accident'S waiting to happen.

Well let’s see you have 4.5 h to unload 2 or 3 trucks. While maintaining safety at all times meaning no unloading on docks , nothing or third or 4th aisles in receiving , no uboats under the steal during the unload , no vehicles higher than 5.4 . No empty pallets in the truck , no tv or spills , no boxes ever on the ground as well as no transition on pallets. No pallets what’s so ever. Zone ,2,4 , 15 and combos gets sorted right off the line. No staging of any repacks .
So do you sort transition onto uboats? Or transition gets sorted into pallets and put immediately in the steel?

Since P1 & Market are coming in at 4 - what are they doing ? Since your inbound team doesn’t come in until 6am?

Someone has mentioned that they struggle with the Pipo . The way I have it if pipos are coming out before p1 or market goes to lunch I called either the dbo or the Tl to come get . Like I said no unloading on the dock not even for a minute. But On my second truck p1 and market are on lunch so then if I have Pipo it moves to the left side of the truck inside and continue with unload. But now I’m trying something new. Unloading 2 trailers at the same time. Same amount of people on the line but an extra thrower for the second truck.

Back