Perfect sort (inbound)

From reading your post, it would appear that your are using "Group Dynamics" to reach an objective point.

"Group Dynamics" is when you have a number of people who are willing take up certain positions/roles/work within a process to achieve a desired outcome. In other words they not only work well together, but compliment each other in their strengths and weaknesses. The problem is that change within the group quickly leads to the end of such success.

Examples are sports teams, fire fighters, and other crews who by working together not only achieve, but excel amongst their peer groups.

It looks good now, but is not sustainable, nor practical, and could lead to some serious problems down the road when it comes to the inbound process.

Here's the first litmus test I had to do to see if I was engaging in this practice.

First measure your current process outcome.

Second, rotate all your team into a different position for one week and measure the outcome.

Third, repeat until all the team has experienced every work area.

If you have actually improved upon a process, your numbers at the end of each rotation will mirror your original process measurement. If not, you have used "Group Dynamics" to reach a desired outcome.

From what I recall, Target does not have a team member profile requirement for the inbound process. So all team members, unless Target has made specific arrangements for, should be able to perform all inbound task.

"Group Dynamics" is an acceptable practice in certain organizations, but not at Target. We're not compensated in that manner.
That is interesting stuff!

Im not struggling to understand what you are saying, but you are saying that her teams efforts will not be sustainable. But that is saying that saying that the team was moving at maximum capacity before the change and that any increase in workload isnt sustainable. If youve been an unloader for years then i think you know there are plenty of dull moments during unload and it seems her idea her is to just minamize the dull moments to increase efficiency rather then to for her team to be more productive. I like the math, its a great tool. Even the group dynamics is true to a point. Spot will not have her team change things up because that would disrupt there workflow and still only prove it works in her store. Spots approach has always been to pilot in stores for proof of concept and then increase sample size buy implementing into other stores. It would be foolish to believe spot doesn't look at those numbers but numbers only go so far. IMO the real bid downfall with modernization is that it gives so little room for error and that everything is so calculated that one mishap can throw off an entire system.
Edit to add: I dont want to hijack this thread anymore, perhaps you are right. You should keep looking at the numbers, and if you can use it to help improve your store. I would say instead of just going over numbers and saying that it isn't sustainable or that it might not work with a different crew. Maybe try and add some suggestions or add to the post rather then just saying congratulations? And saying that it won't work long term. I use this forum to help increase my knowledge and help myself be a better leader and team member. And to just see what insight i can get coming to the future of Spot.
Your not hijacking the thread. Your doing what should be done between stores and corporate leadership.

I am looking at this from a perspective of being heavily involved in continuous improvement programs.

I wish I had kept some of the forms for process changes from the places I have worked for in the past. It would better explain where I am coming from on this subject.

Having allnew2 take initiative to change something and bring it to the board just brings so much value to all of us.

Things work for her for a reason. But the big question is can Target take what she has done and replicate the process and duplicate the results?

I have my doubts due to a similar situation that I helped champion. It wasn't until we ran numbers, researched our internal process control documents, and performed work place ergonomics that it was terminated. We failed in all three aspects.

It looked good and sounded good, but it in reality it could not be sustainable.

Our cost savings per hour where a lot more than what Target's would be under compatible conditions.

Unlike Target, we had financial stake in the cost savings too.

That is interesting stuff!
It is amazing how much a group like that can do. Litterally move mountains with little to no direction.

They just move like a flock of birds.

I have been lucky to be part of two such groups, one as a laborer and one in a professional setting.

I never realized at the time just what I was involved with either until after I left.

That's why I was able to recognize what allnew2 has.

It is amazing how much a group like that can do. Litterally move mountains with little to no direction.

They just move like a flock of birds.

I have been lucky to be part of two such groups, one as a laborer and one in a professional setting.

I never realized at the time just what I was involved with either until after I left.

That's why I was able to recognize what allnew2 has.

I was part of such a group. Plano. I miss the team we had. Everyone had a role and we worked seamlessly together. Then Modernization happened and most of them quit out of frustration. I shifted roles and use those Plano skills as a DBO now.

I am an outlier. I am one of those people who can be placed in any role and make a success of it and make it look easy.

You're right, you never know how great a group like that is until it's not a group anymore.

I was part of such a group. Plano. I miss the team we had. Everyone had a role and we worked seamlessly together. Then Modernization happened and most of them quit out of frustration. I shifted roles and use those Plano skills as a DBO now.

I am an outlier. I am one of those people who can be placed in any role and make a success of it and make it look easy.

You're right, you never know how great a group like that is until it's not a group anymore.
I still think my favorite result of modernization is seeing the same TMs and TLs who constantly accused the plano team of being incompetent and slow struggle to do their own plano workload because, oops, it's harder than they thought it would be.

Two throwers , and the 5 on the line. I do have enough skates , as well as my skates are electric. Yes midnight unload. Not to give to much away.
P.s Im the type a person that if someone says I can’t do it , I’ll prove that I can😎
My store used to do simultaneous unloads for doubles too.
Anyway I am curious, you mentioned leaving PIPO inside the trailer sometimes while unloading.
Your DC has not implemented a pallet grouping strategy yet?
I was under the impression it had been rolled out amongst most DCs.

My store used to do simultaneous unloads for doubles too.
Anyway I am curious, you mentioned leaving PIPO inside the trailer sometimes while unloading.
Your DC has not implemented a pallet grouping strategy yet?
I was under the impression it had been rolled out amongst most DCs.
There’s trailers that have it right , and some trailers are coming in like they just didn’t know what to do .
If the Pipo is side by side and the dbo is not there to take it I won’t get it out due to the fact that nothing can’t be on the docks or 3rd aisle or 4th aisle at any time.

I’ve got 4 doubles and 3 singles next week. My backroom is full. And people just aren’t getting product out quick enough. They flounder with a double and roll bits and pieces every day until the next one. Idk what they’re going to do with us taking doubles every day for at least the next two weeks.

And I’ve totally pitched this idea to them. I just need them to help get it going.

I’ve got 4 doubles and 3 singles next week. My backroom is full. And people just aren’t getting product out quick enough. They flounder with a double and roll bits and pieces every day until the next one. Idk what they’re going to do with us taking doubles every day for at least the next two weeks.

And I’ve totally pitched this idea to them. I just need them to help get it going.
Yeah that’s gonna be tough if doubles are not your norm. Doubles for my team is an everyday thing all year round so that’s not the problem is all this Black Friday crap that I hate have it come in.

Wow. That's a lot of freight. We had 3 doubles in a row last week. I came clean on grocery, but Trim, Home, and Softlines rolled every day. We have a new GM1 and he's pretty shell shocked.

Wow. That's a lot of freight. We had 3 doubles in a row last week. I came clean on grocery, but Trim, Home, and Softlines rolled every day. We have a new GM1 and he's pretty shell shocked.
It’s actually normal freight for me . I’m just tired being today is my 10th day. And going in at 12 going home 12-1pm , redbull , coffee and teas can only take me for so long lol.
Food,sea, toys, electronics , sprt and small appliances should be a priority and not roll over.

Oh boy. Get to learn a new inbound process in 2 days. Wonder what it could be.

It’s actually normal freight for me . I’m just tired being today is my 10th day. And going in at 12 going home 12-1pm , redbull , coffee and teas can only take me for so long lol.
Food,sea, toys, electronics , sprt and small appliances should be a priority and not roll over.
I wish they’d give OT at my store. Down leads cause of leave so I’m like the inbound presentation lead that works at 1am. So I don’t see any of my team because they’re all scheduled at 10.

Oh boy. Get to learn a new inbound process in 2 days. Wonder what it could be.

I wish they’d give OT at my store. Down leads cause of leave so I’m like the inbound presentation lead that works at 1am. So I don’t see any of my team because they’re all scheduled at 10.
No Ot at my store either

Back