Perfect sort (inbound)

Here is the thing . I’m not perfect , when I was tasked with this new process I struggled and failed for a week an enough. I went from inbound being scheduled for 2 trucks full shift to all the sudden inbound being scheduled 4.5 hours . When that week stared I struggled a lot and all I kept hearing from my SD was where I was gonna get that payroll to extend , I could have talked back and said I still have 350h under inbound if I loook at the dashboard but didn’t. Instead I rolled with the punches . Take the not unloading on the dock killed me the first week, but then when the Dtl came to see the process he even said this would work great for singles truck store . And I even said to my Sd see even he thinks it’s a lot for a store with doubles , but that didn’t change anything because I was told you can do it. I’m a problem solver and off-site thought me a lot of strategy . And it’s all about when you start this process is to actually staff in a way that makes sense .

Here is the thing . I’m not perfect , when I was tasked with this new process I struggled and failed for a week an enough. I went from inbound being scheduled for 2 trucks full shift to all the sudden inbound being scheduled 4.5 hours . When that week stared I struggled a lot and all I kept hearing from my SD was where I was gonna get that payroll to extend , I could have talked back and said I still have 350h under inbound if I loook at the dashboard but didn’t. Instead I rolled with the punches . Take the not unloading on the dock killed me the first week, but then when the Dtl came to see the process he even said this would work great for singles truck store . And I even said to my Sd see even he thinks it’s a lot for a store with doubles , but that didn’t change anything because I was told you can do it. I’m a problem solver and off-site thought me a lot of strategy . And it’s all about when you start this process is to actually staff in a way that makes sense .
bingo. Payroll.

and space. You have to have a big enough backroom to handle all the u-boats and flats and product.

bingo. Payroll.

and space. You have to have a big enough backroom to handle all the u-boats and flats and product.
So now you see where my 350h from inbound went. 😉 . I’m doing two trucks with less hours .4.5 for inbound and rest went to ahem .....hours week 3

Attachments

• 9AD1F213-92E2-4BE3-9DAA-9A13D3A17AFA.jpeg
    9AD1F213-92E2-4BE3-9DAA-9A13D3A17AFA.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Wow. I really like this efficient approach. I might be taking over a broken inbound team soon, and it has so many problems with pumping tons of pallets onto the steel and transition being all over the place. The approach with the p2 pusher under inbound also makes sense, my old store did something similar with having a p2 DBO push out their department.

At my current store setting planners doesn’t seem to be a big issue in terms of payroll. I think it’s more in concern of the communication within the GM team.

Also have the same issue with the sanitizer. All should go out in fixtures and towers?

Ah....and just remember the several pallets of BTS we have too...

When are you acknowledging that first trailer then? If you aren't doing it until the unload team comes in at 6, then wouldn't you be making one for ones bigger for market and P1 while also having to backstock more coming off the truck? But, if you're acknowledging at 4 without starting the unload for another couple of hours, you're potentially screwing over fulfillment, especially as we get into Q4 with high demand toys and tech.
Market is supposed to always pull their 1for1s before truck acknowledgment in order to get the soonest expiring merchandise on the floor first and send the new cases worth of merchandise to the back

“ perfect sort” as you put it was something that I was tasked with to do and succeeded . I am a triple A store with doubles and triple trucks. P1 and market comes in at 4 inbound comes at 6, by 6:45 p1 and market should already move into truck.And the process revolves around safety most of it as well as a deeper sort I don’t know why your inbound is taking from an 1h to 4h now. Does the team consist of 5 people sorting , a thrower and a p2 pusher? If not that’s why they would take longer . There is no longer secondary sort. Zone 4, 15 and combos gets sorted as they come off the truck . 3 goes straight on the dbo vehicles. By having a deeper sort you will utilize more vehicles hence why I have a p2 pusher scheduled under inbound , so that should make the push faster .
One truck should not take more than 2h. Keep in mind That even with triple trucks they have to be done in 4.75. Inbound is no longer scheduled full shifts.
So yes the process work , and Im sorry. I have a lot of stores calling me and complain about it .
Does your count of 5 include the softlines sort?

Sorry to hear about this. You are not the only one that struggles with their etl in regards to this process. From what I gather from other Tl from other stores was that the etl or Sd don’t really understand what this process entail , some have said to me that their sd or etl has said ohh this process is about p1 and market coming in before the truck and that’s it. But is not that if you think about it’s safety all around , if p1 and market comes in at 4 , unload comes at 6 and by 6:45 those two teams are moving into the truck you will be able to maintain safety with your vehicles, hence why the p2 pusher is schedule under inbound to maintain safety as well.
My store started to implement a bit of the process in September, P1 and market at 4am but with unload at 5am. I don't think we had P2 pusher scheduled until 2 hours after unload start and they would be under GM. That's maybe where my store went wrong. We switched back to 4am for Q4 as we barely started implementing "perfect sort."
The TM that came in with the TL would be the thrower and the bulk person. After the truck is finished, the bulk person would clean up the leftover bulk pallets and push out or backstock any PIPOs. Mix of "perfect sort" and premodernization.

Last edited:
After the truck is finished, the bulk person would clean up the leftover bulk pallets and push out or backstock any PIPOs.
If you do the process as it was made , you won’t have anything to clean since the whole process is safety , meaning no boxes on the ground all pipos either are pushed or backstock right away . Truck done , skates away and dock closed .After truck the team can just support pushing . The p2 pusher coming 2h after unloads starts I think it’s to late .

If you do the process as it was made , you won’t have anything to clean since the whole process is safety , meaning no boxes on the ground all pipos either are pushed or backstock right away . Truck done , skates away and dock closed .After truck the team can just support pushing . The p2 pusher coming 2h after unloads starts I think it’s to late .
Did you do this process as a inbound TL, coming in at 4am and then work the unload at 6am while going to lunch at before 9am?
The current TLs were struggling with coming in at 330am, P1 and market at 4am and unload at 5am. One TL would take the whole team to lunch with them. While the other TL would leave and pull a TM to replace them while on lunch. Our inbound TL comes in at 330am with other TLs at 4am.

Last edited:
Did you do this process as a inbound TL, coming in at 4am and then work the unload at 6am while going to lunch at before 9am?
The current TLs were struggling with coming in at 330am, P1 and market at 4am and unload at 5am. One TL would take the whole team to lunch with them. While the other TL would leave and pull a TM to replace them while on lunch. Our inbound TL comes in at 330am with other TLs at 4am.
Yes I actually did . It was my task to do as a promotion to Etl log. That’s when I made the change from inbound to start at 6am , p1 and market at 4 am. I have doubles everyday and 2 triples a week.

It’s not similar if he pushes his own department. You use he trailer details to see the heaviness workload for p2 and that’s what he pushes . Utilize that trailer detail and bulk and it will make your life easier
Greenfield has been bonkers for us lately. Truck details have been showing up late in the afternoon, and even by the time I’m closing the store, a lot of the numbers still show ridiculous counts in the thousands for each dept. Only time we can get an accurate picture of the workload is almost by the time the team comes in to unload the truck.

I think I get what you’re saying though. It’s like having a P2 pusher that will serve as a wild card to counter whatever will be the bulkiest/biggest load on the P2 side as we unload?

Also, is there anything about “perfect sort” in workbench or anywhere that can be read upon?

think I get what you’re saying though. It’s like having a P2 pusher that will serve as a wild card to counter whatever will be the bulkiest/biggest load on the P2 side as we unload?
Correct.
Also, is there anything about “perfect sort” in workbench or anywhere that can be read upon?
You won’t find any At this time because we just started in July and made it work . But since is already going to other stores it might be a new guide coming 2021

As for the greenfield I know the no has been showing weird . However if you open the replenishment workload into a new tab and reload it you will get the accurate numbers .

@allnew2 I think you should write a perfect sort and stock guide lol
😂 I thought about it. I even came up with an idea for q4 where all dbos are only focusing on truck. So here it goes at 10:30pm To 7am I will have a Tl with a team of 7 tm doing returns , zone , pull all one for one and stock it.( no style tho) than inbound comes at 6 . and at 6::45 p1,and market comes in to start on trucks , and 8 am p2. All dbos are to focus on trucks and guest and a zone touch up before they go. I’m starting it next week 😉

Last edited:
Is this process being considered for different types of stores? I noticed you mention you’re r in a very high volume one. I’ve only worked mid volume P-Fresh and S-Targets. From what I can understand, it should be applicable to the processes I’ve seen at those types of stores. I’m still curious though. I also heard some S-Targets have GM issues due to payroll or something.

Back