Performance out

don't want to know how Plastic, Paper and Baby items can be missed.... most of the boxes have the product names on them.

I can see mixing up a RePack, from time to time.
all.look.same.
Not only that , but those boxes are bulky like for real , besides baby food and essentials I don’t know how can it be done . But it was

@allnew2 I haven’t said anything about anything in AWHILE but I had to chime in to this conversation... You literally have to be blind to miss Babies!! No disrespect for anyone that has any disability, did this tm have a mental disability where they couldn’t comprehend you? To me that would be the only thing preventing me from carrying out duties for an inbound tm.. I doubt that I’m the only one in that assessment

But @allnew2 and @commiecorvus isn't what you're discussing basically performancing someone out? Their performance is being addressed and ways to improve are discussed and/or implemented.

It's a great and noble idea to tweak a job to suit an individual's capabilities, but sometimes the requirements of the job make it impossible to accommodate all, and sometimes another position more suited to someone is not available. And of course, sometimes no matter what you do, the person is just not performing, whether intentionally or because they are just not suited for the position.

Employers set job requirements and hire people with the expectation that they will be able to execute said requirements. If they can't or won't, it is an employer's right to address the issue.

@allnew2 I haven’t said anything about anything in AWHILE but I had to chime in to this conversation... You literally have to be blind to miss Babies!! No disrespect for anyone that has any disability, did this tm have a mental disability where they couldn’t comprehend you? To me that would be the only thing preventing me from carrying out duties for an inbound tm.. I doubt that I’m the only one in that assessment
No issues that I was aware of . What I know is that he was a rockstar in flex fill for a while and then he asked the Etl at the time about changing to inbound something he really wanted from the beginning and since we were going overnight for q4 and not a lot of tm wanted to do it. So I found myself with a person who didn’t seem to either get it or wanted to get it. All the complains were that is to much .

But @allnew2 and @commiecorvus isn't what you're discussing basically performancing someone out? Their performance is being addressed and ways to improve are discussed and/or implemented.

It's a great and noble idea to tweak a job to suit an individual's capabilities, but sometimes the requirements of the job make it impossible to accommodate all, and sometimes another position more suited to someone is not available. And of course, sometimes no matter what you do, the person is just not performing, whether intentionally or because they are just not suited for the position.

Employers set job requirements and hire people with the expectation that they will be able to execute said requirements. If they can't or won't, it is an employer's right to address the issue.
Yes . However some Tl are out to performance someone out without actually giving a chance to improve .

Yes . However some Tl are out to performance someone out without actually giving a chance to improve .
Yes, and ETL’s, too! I’ve said it before, how can you expect someone to improve if you don’t explain to the TM where they need to improve and how they can improve. By telling a TM that their performance needs to improve or they will be fired is not a good management style.

Yes, and ETL’s, too! I’ve said it before, how can you expect someone to improve if you don’t explain to the TM where they need to improve and how they can improve. By telling a TM that their performance needs to improve or they will be fired is not a good management style.
It’s all about knowing the why’s behind of it so they can improve .

It’s all about knowing the why’s behind of it so they can improve .
I had a tm with severe adhd that was terrible at inbound amd gm but was pretty good in flex. We let them go for other reasons but overall not a bad person or employee but just couldnt manage to pay attention enough to do a good job in either position.

I had a tm with severe adhd that was terrible at inbound amd gm but was pretty good in flex. We let them go for other reasons but overall not a bad person or employee but just couldnt manage to pay attention enough to do a good job in either position.
Yeah it’s tough position

If a TM lies to me or pushes like a monkey slinging its own feces around, they are dead to me.
I will do everything to make their lives so miserable they’ll beg to be fired.
I will help anyone improve , but I don’t tolerate liars and shit slinging monkeys.

I came across something interesting the other day. My ETL left a copy of a Performance Improvement Plan on their desk.

This was written by our SD and was about that ETL.

Being a TL, I have done a million performance conversations and a thousand CCA'S, but I've never had to write or give someone a Performance Improvement Plan. Is the wording/terminology different because it's for an ETL?

Based on the wording it seems like a CA to me.

The awkward part was deciding to tell them to put it away somewhere safe. Their office was being used all day for Business Unit Reviews....

Yikes if anyone else saw it.

For Exempt leaders, that’s their version of a CCA. They have to submit a performance improvement plan to their leader stating how they will improve their performance and a timeframe.
That's so bizarre. When I called my ETL to there office I was like "Hey you should probably put this somewhere safe. I read enough to know it shouldn't be out, but that's it".

I walked out of their office after that. I'm assuming they did something with it after.

My ETL and I don't hate each other, but we aren't best friends either. They never mentioned it or acknowledged it since.

Like, in a way, I can see some of there past decisions leading to a "Seek to Understand" with our SD, but not a CCA.

I thought my ETL-HR or my SD might say something since I saw it but they haven't.

Like can you imagine someone on your team, who you already have disagreements with, finds out your on a CA? I'm not a total asshole though so there secret is safe.......until the leave their paperwork out again....lol

I’m posting this here because I just need to vent. We have some TMs that I’ve got so much documentation on because they just need to go. Either they just stand around and to nothing (except for listening to their AirPods) or the just do whatever they want. We are being told to focus on recognition and retention.
One of the TMs just wants do be in his or or her favorite work centers, but refuses to work in other areas. Their position requires them to work in all the work centers. If I say anything to them, they complain to my ETL.
Recently I needed them to help in other areas along with another issue that I won’t mention here. (It would be to easy for someone at my store to recognize me) They were very disrespectful and threatened to go to the ETL.
They went to the ETL and complained that I don’t like them. They feel like I don’t have a personal relationship with them. I’m not singling this TM out and I don’t dislike them. I just expect them to do the same work their peers do.
So, once again there will be no repercussions and I feel unsupported.
I’m sorry this is so long, but I’m really frustrated. This TM does this same thing to other TMs so they don’t want to work with him or her. It’s hard, especially if you have a small team due to call outs or scheduling and you can’t count on this TM. Often they don’t even know where he or she is.
I’m supposed to have off-stage conversations with this TM to get to know them, so that’s what I’ll do.
I’m just glad that I can come here and vent.

I’m posting this here because I just need to vent. We have some TMs that I’ve got so much documentation on because they just need to go. Either they just stand around and to nothing (except for listening to their AirPods) or the just do whatever they want. We are being told to focus on recognition and retention.
One of the TMs just wants do be in his or or her favorite work centers, but refuses to work in other areas. Their position requires them to work in all the work centers. If I say anything to them, they complain to my ETL.
Recently I needed them to help in other areas along with another issue that I won’t mention here. (It would be to easy for someone at my store to recognize me) They were very disrespectful and threatened to go to the ETL.
They went to the ETL and complained that I don’t like them. They feel like I don’t have a personal relationship with them. I’m not singling this TM out and I don’t dislike them. I just expect them to do the same work their peers do.
So, once again there will be no repercussions and I feel unsupported.
I’m sorry this is so long, but I’m really frustrated. This TM does this same thing to other TMs so they don’t want to work with him or her. It’s hard, especially if you have a small team due to call outs or scheduling and you can’t count on this TM. Often they don’t even know where he or she is.
I’m supposed to have off-stage conversations with this TM to get to know them, so that’s what I’ll do.
I’m just glad that I can come here and vent.
Sorry your ETL won’t back you up in holding your team accountable. Having a TM like the one you described on your team is a real morale destroyer, and your ETL should realize that having an unproductive disrespectful person on your team that the rest of the team doesn’t want to work with will not help with retention. Whenever a slacker gets away with it with no repercussions from management the rest of the team sees it as favoritism, which is exactly what it is. Your ETL should be backing you up in holding your team accountable, not taking the side of a problem TM against you. The squeaky wheel should not be getting that much oil. Sounds to me that your ETL is very out of touch with what is going on with your (their) team, and in pacifying the little prince/princess they will be alienating everyone else, pretty much the last thing that will help with retention, except of course for the problem TM who has a sweet deal and will stay there as the bad apple poisoning the barrel until your ETL wakes up and smells the coffee or leaves. Hope one or the other happens soon. You might want to have those off-stage conversations with this TM in the presence of witnesses, since who knows what they might accuse you of next. CYA. Good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate your response. It does have a negative impact on morale. The other TMs are seeing it and hearing the bragging that they get away with what they are doing. It’s bringing everyone down.
I’m not the only leader at my store that’s having a hard time holding problem TMs accountable. It’s our ETLs, our HR/ETL and our HRBP.

I know, a case of mind my own business . . . . But -

One of our new TL is late EVERY shift - he doesn’t punch in -instead, he submits punch corrections that show he is on Time. NOT just by a few minutes AND more than a few times. The SD was told this is happening by BOTH HR and AP. Nothing has been done.
What could be the reason for paying this person that is not even there ?

One of our new TL is late EVERY shift - he doesn’t punch in -instead, he submits punch corrections that show he is on Time. NOT just by a few minutes AND more than a few times. The SD was told this is happening by BOTH HR and AP. Nothing has been done.
AP could be building a case. Shouldn’t be difficult with the paper trail he’s leaving, and theft of time is a termination offense. Even if your SD won’t do anything, I doubt that district AP will let that pass.

Building a case. If he’s also doing something else (like stealing merchandise or cash) they’re going to do the walk of shame.

Spot is watching them. Document all events that you see happening. Cya & for ap if they ask you questions about it.

The TL that is submitting punch corrections is being watched why AP. They will get them.

Jenna, that’s one of the reasons I’m so frustrated. Other TMs come to me to complain about the problem TMs and all I can do is say that I’ll talk to them. It’s not going to change anything though.
No wonder you’re frustrated. Spot is a tough place to be a TL since they give you the responsibility to run a department but not the authority to do it. Sometimes I think TLs only exist as a shield to take the blame for ETLs’ mistakes. Good luck, hope you get a better ETL soon.😁

Back