Archived Pfresh grand opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pettjm54

Sales floor TL
So my pfresh remodel is complete. We are prepping for our initial deliveries on Tuesday and wednesday mornings. Anyone have any advice or or pointers if you have been through this process already?

We're getting our first food deliveries this week as well. We're pretty much completed for out remodel.

I'll be going mornings and have been assigned to oversee the backstock process and maintaining the backroom coolers. Any backroom members been doing this for some time have any advice or tips on to what to watch for? Problem areas? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We're getting our first food deliveries this week as well. We're pretty much completed for out remodel.

I'll be going mornings and have been assigned to oversee the backstock process and maintaining the backroom coolers. Any backroom members been doing this for some time have any advice or tips on to what to watch for? Problem areas? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As someone that works overnight and does the pfresh pulls for us, I would recommend a good pair of your own gloves for the freezer and a ski mask. Im not a big fan of sharing gloves and hats with my co workers...kinda gross. The gloves supplied by Target are garbage, at least the ones my store has attempted to supply us.

Also, make sure the quantities entered are correct!

do not let the backstock pile up. it is best to have someone either on the floor or in the backroom marking all the boxes with monarch labels (or two people even) and someone to backstock them all as soon as they are marked. otherwise you will wind up with alot of backstock to do at once, no metro racks left for more backstock and no room in the coolers/freezer

Portable printer is suggested with white UPC labels to be used for p-fresh or dated food.
Go under rf apps, type in bcode & enter, then hit 3 for UPC with date labels.
That way, it is easy to rotate stock.

For produce and meat coolers, we LOCU all the casepack locations after the autofills. Then when it comes time to backstock, we can rotate stock and just concentrate on throwing cases onto the shelves. Then we go through and LOCU again, adding the quantities.

Definitely get good gloves and a hat/mask for the freezer. There can be a good hour's worth of backstock to do in there if you're alone. There can be 3 or 4 vehicles of backstock in there waiting for you by the time you get to it, it's ok to push what you aren't working on out of the freezer to make some room to move. Just get it back in there as soon as it can be done. I typically do the flat of BAKE (it's ok and encouraged to backstock partial cases of BAKE, just enter the entire casepack quantity rather than counting the remaining eaches in the box. If you're set up with waco's in BAKE, I usually save them for cases with only a few eaches left.), then FRZN/MTFZ casepack, and then all the milk crates of open stock.

I typically do the flat of BAKE (it's ok and encouraged to backstock partial cases of BAKE, just enter the entire casepack quantity rather than counting the remaining eaches in the box. If you're set up with waco's in BAKE, I usually save them for cases with only a few eaches left.), then FRZN/MTFZ casepack, and then all the milk crates of open stock.

Why is it encouraged to backstock partial case packs at your store?

At my store we only backstock partial casepacks in produce. 1)no barcodes on the product 2)dated with the monarch (white) labels to rotate stock 3)keep track of the country of origin which has to be posted with fresh fruit. Everywhere else it has to go into wacos. I might argue for doing the same in dairy just so you can be sure to rotate. Not as necessary in the freezer.

I must say I disagree with backstocking partial casepacks that way in the freezer. If you are entering full casepack quantities when you backstock, and pulling partials you are going to generate a lot of errors. And if you are entering a full casepack quantity when there is only a partial casepack you might not pull enough to fill the floor. Taking a marker and writing the actual quantity on the box with a circle (like we do for inventory) would be better.

Why is it encouraged to backstock partial case packs at your store?

Like I said, only in BAKE and Produce. Because as far as bakery goes, the product doesn't have an expiration date on it, only on the box. And we don't have enough waco's to support all the open stock we'd have otherwise. Same for produce, our produce cooler profile is 5 sections of shelving, three sections of shelves + wacos. We only use wacos for open stock lettuce and deli items.

I must say I disagree with backstocking partial casepacks that way in the freezer. If you are entering full casepack quantities when you backstock, and pulling partials you are going to generate a lot of errors. And if you are entering a full casepack quantity when there is only a partial casepack you might not pull enough to fill the floor. Taking a marker and writing the actual quantity on the box with a circle (like we do for inventory) would be better.

We enter full casepack quantity when backstocking, and since the bakery sections are set up as upper/lower casepack, the system always rounds up to the casepack quantity when it asks for it in a pull. That way we can put the whole box on the pull and the market team can use however many they need to keep to floor fresh, full, and impactful.

So today was a Wildcard!! Today we got our initial perishables delivery.. Frozen is tmrw. But today was 26 pallets. Began the process at 430am and was totally complete at 9am. Our DTL and FBP kept saying that this was the smoothest and cleanest process they've seen.

One huge problem is our meat scale in the ambient room failed to work. We therefore have no weighed meat on the sales floor. The scale screen does not respond and the scale it self reads "no scale data". We rebooted numerous times to no avail. Hopefully it's fixed tmrw or very very soon. Sales down the drain!!!!!

Well, we've had our first few deliveries so far. The push portion seemed to have went smoothly. However....the backstocking portion went pretty horrendous IMO. Too much came back, not enough space, PDA's weren't working, nor were the monarch printers and at times, too many hands involved (however, it did get done, which is the good part). They clearly didn't prepare themselves...of course...they rarely ever do.

I'm told once they gage where the sales are, it's going to die down and pan out a little. After the first month, the stuff in the coolers should go away and we can get more organized. How are peoples experiences first weeks vs. after a month?

And to top it off....no banana suit.

I can't speak to the p-fresh piece, but when my store opened the freight flow was terrible. We got waaaaay more than we needed of everything. You could barely walk into the freezer or dairy cooler, the backroom had pallets of freight everywhere you could put one, it was insane! They kept saying it would level off, but it actually took about a year for the insanity to stop. I still have nightmares about it.

I can't speak to the p-fresh piece, but when my store opened the freight flow was terrible. We got waaaaay more than we needed of everything. You could barely walk into the freezer or dairy cooler, the backroom had pallets of freight everywhere you could put one, it was insane! They kept saying it would level off, but it actually took about a year for the insanity to stop. I still have nightmares about it.

Well, that doesn't make me feel any better. lol.

When I went and trained at a nearby store that had their PFresh in place a couple months. Their backstock was fairly minimal and their coolers in the backroom was decently bare (not empty, but seem like they sold a steady amount where room wasn't an issue). Unfortunately...they have bigger coolers than ours and they get one less truck then we are....

It would seem different stores set up their bakery freezer sections differently. As long as you're actually backstocking correctly in the essence of the term, then there's no problem. The turnover for bakery backstock is generally high enough where expiration dates shouldn't actually be a problem.

We have three sections deticated to bakery. Each section 1 lowers case and 3 upper case areas with 10 wacos in each of the three sections. Whenever we have loose stock from bakery, we put them in the wacos. This is what I was taught. Am I backstocking bakery correctly?

That's very close to how we do it and works quite well, in my opinion.

It would seem different stores set up their bakery freezer sections differently. As long as you're actually backstocking correctly in the essence of the term, then there's no problem. The turnover for bakery backstock is generally high enough where expiration dates shouldn't actually be a problem.

The expiration dates should never matter on bakery, unless you're stockpiling for the nuclear holocaust. Which, in that case, they should probably be written down somewhere.

The expiration dates should never matter on bakery, unless you're stockpiling for the nuclear holocaust. Which, in that case, they should probably be written down somewhere.

It's happened! Our CTL had never ordered for P-Fresh before (Market TL always did it) so he mistakenly ordered like 25 cases EACH of the brownie bites, orange scones, cinnamon rolls and dipped macaroons, and this is when they were in the giant boxes. That pallet was sitting in the freezer for like a month even with all that stuff on TPC.

Moral of the story? Always check your numbers before you press Enter... :facepalm:

It's happened! Our CTL had never ordered for P-Fresh before (Market TL always did it) so he mistakenly ordered like 25 cases EACH of the brownie bites, orange scones, cinnamon rolls and dipped macaroons, and this is when they were in the giant boxes. That pallet was sitting in the freezer for like a month even with all that stuff on TPC.

Moral of the story? Always check your numbers before you press Enter... :facepalm:

Yay for not being able to edit orders!! And you have something called a "Market TL?" Is that person just in charge of PFresh or is a CTL but just doesn't talk to vendors?

They are in charge of PFresh. They schedule the PA's, order most of the time, and maintain the brand of PFresh. I don't actually know why we have this position either, if it's not something other stores have. This particular person was a TL in another area of the store before our PFresh remodel, and the current CTL was originally a TM in another area before the remodel.

So our first week of initial deliveries are done.. anyone else having a HORRIBLE time linking up with hip printers!?! ughh :(

So our first week of initial deliveries are done.. anyone else having a HORRIBLE time linking up with hip printers!?! ughh :(

Easy fix!
First, restart your PDA. Hold power button & wait 2010 screen. Play crosshairs game. Dont change the roll. Then go into label printing & print a shelf label, type your printer number(last four digits). That should print the shelf label.
Then, go into rf apps & type bcode, hit 3 for date & UPC.
That should make it work from there.
The reason I suggest it that way, my p-fresh team had the same problem. I was using a printer to do labels at the time. I had asked her to try my printer & it wouldn't connect to it. During this, I did a shelf label to her printer, it worked after that. I had rebooted her PDA & did the above. It worked w/bcode labels & shelf labels on both printers.
To change to a different printer, just log all the way out of color screen.

Last edited:
They are in charge of PFresh. They schedule the PA's, order most of the time, and maintain the brand of PFresh. I don't actually know why we have this position either, if it's not something other stores have. This particular person was a TL in another area of the store before our PFresh remodel, and the current CTL was originally a TM in another area before the remodel.

Wow, that's cool that people get promoted at your store and I'm happy for them. The PA is "supposed" to act as a TL over PFresh, but with less pay though, at least that's what AE11 says in it. Although I know of at least one other store that runs 2 CTLs. It's probably a decision the ETL-HL makes when PFresh is on it's way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back