Archived Pharmacy Cross-training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitii

yeah
So I'm a cashier and I was called a couple days ago asking if I would be willing to be trained to work in the pharmacy and if so come in asap. Being a vet tech student, I'm actually pretty thrilled to have a chance to work in any sort of medical setting. I was there for about an hour to do the computer training and get a little tour. Had some practice on the register before going back to cashier at my scheduled time. They asked me if I could get someone to take my hours on a couple days that they could give me two 8 hour shifts on those days, but unfortunately no one seems to want to take them (esp since one is on a Friday) but they also said they'll try and work something out.

ANYWAYS I guess my question is this; what should I expect from the pharmacy? I was only on the register for 20 minutes tops so I can't really tell how it's going to be. Is there any sort of pay difference from working in the pharmacy? I think you have to work mostly in a department to get that pay, but it doesn't hurt to know. All I really know about the pharmacy so far is PHI PHI ePHI PHI PHI it was basically shoved down my throat during training. Also a lot of guests there seem to speak Spanish, and I don't speak a lick of it, what do I do about that? While I'm really excited about it, I'm totally nervous about messing up and I just got comfortable as a cashier so I'm also worried my anxiety problems might surface there while I accustom to it.

When I cross trained (Photo, then GSA) as a tech, I learned how to pick out medication from the shelf and give it to the certified tech/pharmacist. I learned how to go through PDX and enter new patient info, as well as check out guests.

If you're only cashiering, there's no pay bump but if you get certified as a pharmacy tech & the majority of your hours are there, it's a pretty good bump.
A tech (even trainee) would be allowed to handle pills on the fill line & put medication stock away; as a cashier you wouldn't be allowed to handle any meds except prescriptions already filled & bagged.
Target used to pay for your tech background check, fingerprinting & exam fees but that may be going by the wayside since CVS is poised to take over Target pharmacies soon.
All techs & pharmacists will be CVS employees thereafter.
Re: Spanish-speaking guests - sometimes there is an intern or pharmacist who speaks Spanish or sometimes they will page a Spanish-speaking TM to pharmacy.

As far as what you're allowed to do, it depends on your state laws. In some, you have to be licensed/registered/certified to touch meds other than as a cashier. In others, you can do pretty much everything. If you are required to be licensed/registered/certified, Target will reimburse you for the cost to do so. Even though we are (eventually) being bought out by CVS, many pharmacies are still hiring, so if they are willing to train you and give you hours, go for it.

Yes, there is a pay increase for pharmacy. I think it would have to be your primary work center though. IF they are going to be training you and scheduling you primarily in pharmacy, I would make sure they make you an offer and reclassify you. I've heard of some pharmacies that string people along as "trainees" without actually ever "formally" hiring them.

im bumping this thread because im curious if target or CVS still reimburses pharm tech school training for target employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back