Archived Pharmacy Guest Service Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
I just picked up some scrips last week and the experience I had was a bit odd.

First off, I just switched my refills over to this Target pharmacy maybe 2-3 refills prior from another Target on the other side of town. And the tech tells to me wait one moment. I wait for maybe 5-7 minutes while she looks up something on the computer. I thought my doctor called in my new refills in from yesterday. Then she brings the pharmacist up, and the pharmacist asks me if I had any trouble with my scrips and if I was taking them the same time everyday. Mind you I am 36 yrs old.

The pharmacist then asks me why I don't just get a 90day supply instead of the 30day. I tell her I want as many reward points as possible.

The pharmacist leaves and the tech rings me up. The tech then tells me she will put my reward number (which I already had one) in the system. So she rips my reward number off my receipt, and takes it away.

thats grounds for a cussing, dont mess with someones receipt tm or not -_-
hollar to HR or someone

I would've asked her why she ripped it off the receipt; then I'd call the 800 number for pharmacy rewards & ask them if anything was altered on your number.
I'd then report it to HR since she took some of YOUR personal info.
If you can, go onto target.com & log on to check your Rx rewards there too.
The other reason you can give them for preferring a 30 day supply to 90 days is if your doctor changes your meds; you wouldn't be stuck with/paying for excess meds.

I just picked up some scrips last week and the experience I had was a bit odd.

First off, I just switched my refills over to this Target pharmacy maybe 2-3 refills prior from another Target on the other side of town. And the tech tells to me wait one moment. I wait for maybe 5-7 minutes while she looks up something on the computer. I thought my doctor called in my new refills in from yesterday. Then she brings the pharmacist up, and the pharmacist asks me if I had any trouble with my scrips and if I was taking them the same time everyday. Mind you I am 36 yrs old.

The pharmacist then asks me why I don't just get a 90day supply instead of the 30day. I tell her I want as many reward points as possible.

The pharmacist leaves and the tech rings me up. The tech then tells me she will put my reward number (which I already had one) in the system. So she rips my reward number off my receipt, and takes it away.
Is it illegal? Of course not!

It's none of her god damn business why you choose a smaller supply.

She ripped your receipt because she was too lazy to add your reward # to your profile so that in the future you do not have to put in your Phone number and zipcode. As for asking the pharmacist over to look at the computer, that is a new Target policy to call the pharmacist over when the special prompt shows up for counseling on 90 days supply. Now most store add a note on the fill queue for the pharmacist to read when they check the prescription so you don't have to call the pharmacist over every time. Obviously that store has a weird outlook on that rule, maybe it is different in that district than ours.

Your questions have more or less been answered, but just for some further clarification; if your insurance plan allows 90 day fills (not every insurance plan does) there is a new "check compliance" procedure the pharmacist must go over.
The pharmacist asking if you are taking your items daily/at the same time was not meant to insult you, but most likely your pharmacist reciting the memorized script he/she has in his/her head that he/she must ask patients 40 times a day. To be clear, there is NOT a written script, I am saying the pharmacist is likely reciting the same words over and over without thought, the same way some cashiers ask about red cards. I'm guessing it's even possible before asking he/she didn't look at your prescriptions and figured a simple yes/no from you would suffice.
As far as 90 day scripts go there is a rating system all pharmacies are judged by. Target and every other pharmacy wants to be a 5 star pharmacy as this is judged chain-wide. This affects future contracts with insurance companies, and if a low rating were to result an insurance company (this is often Medicaid plans) can decide that the chain is no longer a "preferred pharmacy". If thappens, patient's insurance may in the future require the patient to go to a different network of pharmacies, and you can lose many patients this way. I've worked in a chain that dropped rating and lost contracts. Trust me, it REALLY sucks.

The last part was already touched on. Your pharmacy rewards number that appears on the white plastic pharmacy rewards card is always printed on your receipt. It's more or less your "barcode number". The pharmacy can now add this number to your profile and in the future your white and blue pharmacy papers will have a barcode printed on the back that can be scanned instead of you bringing in your plastic card or using your phone number. For patients who forget which phone number they used or just generally have a hard time using the pin-pad this is a huge time saver.
I don't agree with the cashier tearing your receipt in half to add the number later, as they could have borrowed your receipt for 15 seconds and added it right away, OR had the pharmacist come over and use a supervisor number to reprint your receipt. I'm going to guess/hope the treatment you received as a team member was perhaps more cavalier in this case, and that this isn't general practice. Tearing all receipts to do this in the future denies the patient the ability to do a survey.
I don't agree with the cashier tearing your receipt in half to add the number later, as they could have borrowed your receipt for 15 seconds and added it right away, OR had the pharmacist come over and use a supervisor number to reprint your receipt. I'm going to guess/hope the treatment you received as a team member was perhaps more cavalier in this case, and that this isn't general practice. Tearing all receipts to do this in the future denies the patient the ability to do a survey.

EDIT: There was some duplication in paragraph I missed.

Last edited:
To tag on to my last post; Medicaid plans (and other plans) put a preference on 90-day fills as studies indicate patients utilizing 90 day fills tend to be more compliant in taking their medications as indicated. As this is the case the desired outcome is that all patients eligible for 90-day fills will opt to have their prescriptions filled for 90 days at a time. If you decide you do not want to, the pharmacist must follow up in the system with an outcome that you (or if instead, your doctor) has voluntarily declined the 90-day fills. It's not optimal for the pharmacy, but it at least leaves the check in the system that the pharmacist followed through on their duties.

That's right, the Tech was too lazy to put the rewards # in the profile right then. You should never Rip a guests receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back