Archived PICK LABEL: IN DEPTH ANALYSIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because that would be too easy and logical. Did you forget this is Target?

LOL

When under time constraints -- I think it is easy to forget that second additional section......"count 5, then count 1 starting from.. " Especially if you are new, and there are a lot of facts thrown at you....

This for example: A8(5) 2-6-4

Suddenly, you are like, is 2 the section or 5? This is what happens in a stressed-out brain.

The problem I see with this is that if you didn't quite "get it" during your first month, you are kind of doom to not really understanding it. This probably explains why there are so many out of place items on the shelves.

Because that would be too easy and logical. Did you forget this is Target?
Actually it's very logical.

Each POG contains product that logically fits together. Take the paperback books aisle as an example. The first section contains books that bookclubs like, and the "Bookclub" POG is only one section long because all the bookclub type books fit easily in one section. The second section contains "NY Times bestsellers", which fit in one section so that POG is one section long. The third section is "New Paperbacks", which is one section because that's how much space is needed for new paperbacks. The fourth section starts "Paperbacks" which is three sections long because there are lots of older paperbacks to display.

So the four POGs are identified this way:
F45(1) is Bookclub
F45(2) is NYT Bestseller
F45(3) is New Paperbacks
F45(4) is Paperbacks

They are separate POGs for a reason. Bookclub changes once or twice a year, while Paperbacks changes more frequently and may be reset three or four times in a year. Not to mention Revisions which are done at different frequencies for the four POGs.

@TiedAndDropped

It’s logical from a DESIGNER’s point of view.

However, from the point of view of those people who are using the labels or the USER: That reset when the next POG occurs, adds layer to the mental processing needed in order to make sense of the location.

Say the PIC LABEL is 3-1-1, if the next section is a second POG, the PIC LABEL is reset to 1-1-1 NOT 4-1-1.

I argue that if 2 people with the same speed, and information processing ability are asked to push by reading the label, one with a continuous assigned label, and another with a reset of label at next POG. The former will finish earlier than the latter.

This also made me think of the conveyor belts at the backroom, if only management consider adding LABELS at every area where each pallets are located, then that could significantly decrease the errors of putting the wrong box on a pallet that will be moved to different teams for push.

11889422_296676417169345_1888875242833847389_n.jpg

You can't deny the fact that when there is more than one layer of information needed when performing a task, that results to a slower processing. Now, that "slowness" differs in impact. However, probability of failure is higher as time goes by.

I also wish added another pallet for backstop is added in the backroom, so we don't have to keep sending it back. What's the use of sending the boxes to teams when that box will just be sent back to the backroom? I just don't get it.

@Penrose are there not any custom block information up in the steel above where the pallets are staged?

Usually, the custom block sheets have the corresponding number and aisle where the pallets is going. Sometimes, it is error on the team member in the bay sorting the boxes.

Also, some stores are a push-all process, and don't sort the backstock. These cartons are identified with a B next to the custom block #. They don't get bowled out. Your backroom ppl are probably busy pulling autofills and helping Flow out, but will shift to backroom duties after the unload. Typically, there is a team member who is designated to condense and pull the pallets of backstock back when the rest of the team is beginning the "wave" and aisles are completed. Alternatively, other stores scan and sort push from backstock.

@Flowmotion, there seems to be no visible sign anywhere, but I could be mistaken...

Well, sure, every store is different. However, if the team knows beforehand that cartons with a B are not going to be pushed by that particular wave team -- why put in the pallet?

The backstocks cartons can easily be identified while it is STILL on the conveyor belt...why not take care of it there...and not wait for teams to return the backstock cartons?

It's taking up space in the pallet , and there is one time, when we have a whole pallet of backstocks...and I thought that was just a waste of time--finding another jack pallet and transferring the boxes to that pallet, to put it back in the backroom.

Perhaps, my assumptions are wrong.

Some stores do a push all. Everything that isn't labeled as transition goes to the floor. My store is trying a push all. The theory behind it, I believe, is helping in stocks out and getting product quickly to the floor, rather than back stocking.

The backstocks cartons can easily be identified while it is STILL on the conveyor belt...why not take care of it there...and not wait for teams to return the backstock cartons?

That is why a majority of stores scan and sort the push from backstock. The front of the line has the push and the backside has backstock. The scanner would mark the backstock with a blackline through the RDC label and a single person would sort all the backstock to be brought to backroom team members.

A push-all process would more fully replenish the store. Allow a faster unload. It's the decision of your ETL-LOG.

Quite frankly, I am bit confused. It still doesn't make sense to me why...hmm...

Bear with me, uhmm...so, my store is a push-all process, and that is basically chosen because somehow the unload is much faster? That is why I am seeing backstocks in pallets that are going towards softlines for example.

It's more faster to do that... than actually taking out the backstock box , put all of that in one pallet, and move it to the backroom aisle..

However, majority of the stores don't do that..

they do isolate the backstocks.. and have someone take care of that?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Quite frankly, I am bit confused. It still doesn't make sense to me why...hmm...

Bear with me, uhmm...so, my store is a push-all process, and that is basically chosen because somehow the unload is much faster? That is why I am seeing backstocks in pallets that are going towards softlines for example.
It's more faster to do that... than actually taking out the backstock box , put all of that in one pallet, and move it to the backroom aisle..
You are understanding correctly, based on what you are told. Pog is the important part of getting stuff to the floor, by brand or type.

Softlines is a different entity altogether. :p

Some of the soflines is hanging and cannot be backstocked. There are probably softline capable Flow members on your team dealing with it. They more than likely sort it in the back on Z-Racks to be pushed out to the floor. These team member know their role and do it well. Stuff like Womens bras and table stuff like shirts or jeans and pants can be backstocked, but some of it is backstocked as no quantity, so it would say "some" is in the backroom. My store has a dedicated team of softlines Flow and a Backroom person who does softlines and babies stuff.

Most boxed softline stuff is assortment packs, for future softline adjacencies, or POGs. My store at least has a dedicated Brand TM who does all the softline resets. Presentation Team, "Plano or POG", does only Women's Intimates, Men's Underwear, and shoes.

Last edited:

Yes, from what has been said here, you understand correctly. :)

The push-all process isn't perfect. I've witnessed visits from our DTL who challenged our ETL-Log on why he preferred such a process.

You're not alone in questioning some of Target's processes. Sometimes, things just don't make sense. Especially with POGs and the way they're laid out and put together by some "imbecile making $50-60k a year". Of course, A.S.A.N.T.S. and it all just happens to work out until something else comes into play.

Last edited:
At this point, I have vague understanding of what is going on the backroom. In time, I might be able to understand it fully to be able to evaluate its procedures for effectiveness.

@Flowmotion, YES we do have a custom block…I saw it today – that green paper with numbers on it.

OK I should know this but I don't :(
I kinda do and I kinda don't know what a POG is and what do the letters stand for ?

Backreading* through this, I'm realizing how many people in the store are probably a little confused on how to read a location.

This is obviously aisle A8. But section 3 (not planogram #3) is where you will begin your count. From section 3, count 2 more sections over, counting section 3 as 1 now. Then you go to shelf 3 and item 4. So really, A8 (3)2-3-4, is aisle A8, section 4, shelf 3, item 4. It really doesn't matter what "number" pog it is.

Last edited:
@BlueSide - if I were to explain

A8 (3)2-3-4

see the (3)(2) = just ADD the two numbers together, then subtract 1 , and that's the section number.

Too wordy to say "count 2 more, but count at where you stop last" - too easy to forget, too easy to get confused.

This could have easily been solved with simple arithmetic.

@BlueSide - if I were to explain

A8 (3)2-3-4

see the (3)(2) = just ADD the two numbers together, then subtract 1 , and that's the section number.

Too wordy to say "count 2 more, but count at where you stop last" - too easy to forget, too easy to get confused.

This could have easily been solved with simple arithmetic.
Well when you learn it in person first, and not over the computer, the other way might make more sense to most folks! Lol

Last edited:
1-1-1 = 1st section, 1st shelf, 1st item. (2)1-1-1 = 2nd section, 1st shelf, 1st item.

or both... Math, after all, is a universal language.

Sometimes the way we explain things is based on our own world, on our own experiences - and that is something that others may not share. That's why at the end of a long lecture, a teacher will encourage students to memorize the equations. No matter how thorough you explain something, some of the students will always forget or not understand.

Now, I understand why my counting seems to be always "off". It's because I did not understand how POG works.

But somehow, I also see a problem here.

In real life, how do you know that POG1 = 3 sections, and POG 2=1 section, and so on?

Therefore, knowing which section is kind of a problem.

The only number that seems very obvious is the shelf vertical (top to bottom) location.
You are over thinking the process.

Go to an aisle on the floor.

A8(5)2-2-1
A8 = Area A Aisle 8
(5) = 5th 4foot section of the shelves
2-2-1 = second section / second shelf / 1st label

This works well on "standard" aisle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back