Archived #Plaidurday & other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguyattarget

SFS/OPU Master
I know I can ask this of my leaders, but I don't go into work until Friday. But I've noticed that, in my store, the majority of those who wear plaids are ETLs and TLs. I'm a new TM and I don't want to make any waves. Is this plaid thing only for leadership? And is it only on Fridays? I had orientation on a Friday and they called it "Plaidurday" and they made it seem like it was only on a "Friday" but on my first training shift today (Wednesday), a lot of the leaders were wearing plaid, but a lot of TM were just wearing regular red.

Also, about the red vests - how does one get one? Also, the shirts with the Target promotional stuff on it, are those freebies? Do you ask for those? Or does someone from leadership say, "hey, do you want one of our promotional t-shirts?" I used to work in a "business casual" field and it's hard for me to come work in just a t-shirt, so I always have wear a collared shirt and slacks with dress shoes. I learned today that standing 3 hours in dress shoes is really hard, I'll have to wear my dark sneakers on my next shift (SF&HL).

And, I just found my STL's twitter, and she looks really younger than me--I've never met her (I'm 33), and I don't know how I feel about that. I used to work in the medical field and due to medical issues, I was put out of work, and retail work right now is just needed to pad my resume for a job gap and money (I have a BS and post-grad certifications and 8-years in medical research work).

@thatguyattarget
Target STLs HAVE to have a twitter.
You can just ask someone from HR about a vest or shirt probably. That's how most people go about it at my store lol.

And your STL very well may be younger than you. We hire college grads as Exec team leads and they go through assessments basically every 18 months to advance their career with Target. Some people make it to STL within several years of starting.

And your STL very well may be younger than you. We hire college grads as Exec team leads and they go through assessments basically every 18 months to advance their career with Target. Some people make it to STL within several years of starting.

Wow. That's so frustrating. I mean, she looks mid-20s. I'm sure I have more life and work experience than her. Granted, I don't have that much retail experience but gosh, it's just flabbergasting. I worked in HIV/AIDS clinical research for 5 years and before that 2 years in infectious disease research and because of a medical condition I was put of out of work. I still have my credentials updated and companies are still weary of hiring me because of my work-gap, but damn. I think I have the work/life experience. Anyways, enough diatribe for now. By the way, looking at her twitter, her grammar and spelling is atrocious. How can a STL have such bad grammar and spelling?! And the funny thing, I've never met her! She looks like a lovely person, but she looks 10 years my junior.

Last edited:
How can a STL have such bad grammar and spelling?! And the funny thing, I've never met her! She looks like a lovely person, but she looks 10 years my junior. Oh, god.
Haha! My STL can't spell and he's almost 60! And I'm willing to bet she's somewhere between 26 and 30 years old.

Wow. That's so frustrating. I mean, she looks mid-20s. I'm sure I have more life and work experience than her. Granted, I don't have that much retail experience but gosh, it's just flabbergasting. I worked in HIV/AIDS clinical research for 5 years and before that 2 years in infectious disease research and because of a medical condition I was put of out of work. I still have my credentials updated and companies are still weary of hiring me because of my work-gap, but damn. I think I have the work/life experience. Anyways, enough diatribe for now. By the way, looking at her twitter, her grammar and spelling is atrocious. How can a STL have such bad grammar and spelling?! And the funny thing, I've never met her! She looks like a lovely person, but she looks 10 years my junior. Oh, god.

Your judgements of other peoples success is what is holding you back. You may have more "life" experience then your STL, but you may lack in people skills like being humble.

There will be people younger then you that will be more successful then you. You will need to find a way to come to terms with this or you will always be comparing yourself to other people.

Having degrees in the medical field will not be an automatic in for a manager position anywhere. You need to understand that you are considered a newbie to the business side.

Your judgements of other peoples success is what is holding you back. You may have more "life" experience then your STL, but you may lack in people skills like being humble.

There will be people younger then you that will be more successful then you. You will need to find a way to come to terms with this or you will always be comparing yourself to other people.

Having degrees in the medical field will not be an automatic in for a manager position anywhere. You need to understand that you are considered a newbie to the business side.

No, I definitely know that! I have no qualms with being humble. I am willing and humble to learn and start from the bottom. I always have and always will. From every job that I have, I have always started from the job and have risen. It's just this is the first job I have had that people above me have been younger, so it's just a little bit of a "culture shock" of sorts. But I'm not saying that I won't learn or be humble about it. So please, don't be wrong, I'm not trying to be boastful, I'm just "weirded" out about it. Most retail jobs I've had in the past, the managers I've had have been significantly older (40s and above) - so it's a bit "weird" for me to see those "close" to my age.

Haha! My STL can't spell and he's almost 60! And I'm willing to bet she's somewhere between 26 and 30 years old.

Hahaha, maybe I only notice because I'm such a grammar and spelling nazi. I'm sure she is. I finally saw her on her Twitter, and I was like... WTF?! That's our STL?! She's in charge of the WHOLE STORE?! I mean, she looks cool and all. If I saw her in a bar, I'd have a couple drinks with her for fun but damn, she makes 100K+?

Don't worry too much about your judgement @thatguyattarget
And keep in mind that Spot likes to hire people straight out of college that have little or no actual life experience so they can imprint the Target way on them to make sure they turn out correctly.
It's not really what I would consider a successful strategy but they seem to be pretty happy with it.
It is very possible that your life experience keeps you from fitting their particular profile.

Now before anyone wants to jump on with examples of LODs and STLs who didn't come straight out of college etc. etc.
Just remember ASANTS

Don't worry too much about your judgement @thatguyattarget
And keep in mind that Spot likes to hire people straight out of college that have little or no actual life experience so they can imprint the Target way on them to make sure they turn out correctly.
It's not really what I would consider a successful strategy but they seem to be pretty happy with it.
It is very possible that your life experience keeps you from fitting their particular profile.

Now before anyone wants to jump on with examples of LODs and STLs who didn't come straight out of college etc. etc.
Just remember ASANTS

I can definitely see that. But, at the same time, I am extremely open-minded. I am merely using this job as a stop-gap to fill my employment history right now, but to be honest, I love working with a diverse group of people; so, to be honest, who really knows. All retail jobs I've ever had, I've moved up the ladder within 6 months of being hired. But reading this boards, it seems like Target seems really hard; I like a challenge however. I'll keep on hoping though. This is just to pad the resume, hopefully.

East coast here. Most of my store leaders have been wearing plaid all this week. Tms can also wear plaid. All of the leaders I spoke with were wearing flannel. As a flow tm, it's way too hot for that. I saw 1 sf tm wearing plaid.

@thatguyattarget - you are going to see a lot more "culture shock" then someone being younger and having a management position.
As far as the promo shirts - sometimes they give them out, sometimes you have to earn them by getting a lot of redcards. Usually the latter.

Yes it was. I had that day off though. They said "No" to my blackwatch kilt.. I have a feeling it would make the plaid in store look cheap. Their loss.
That's ready too bad. Nobody at our store has worn plaid except my one Plano tm. I was gonna wear some today, but it would be weird being the only one.

That's ready too bad. Nobody at our store has worn plaid except my one Plano tm. I was gonna wear some today, but it would be weird being the only one.

Yeah they said it was not brand colors, "umm idiot its a tartan, or I will wear my clan tartan" that was shot down as well. Which is odd since it is a red based tartan. I just like the blackwatch more and both are valid for my family. So their loss.

I'd have accused them of being biased against Scots/Celts.

College grads? Several years? We have an STL that's 22 and has been there for two years and is still in school how does that even happen

so STL's are requiered to have a twitter? what??!!! how can i find my stl?

Lol.. I seriously just googled her name and put Target after it. I've never met her. I mean, I THOUGHT it was her, because she was in the STL office but there were like 2 others... but I was like no, she's waaaaay too young to manage a store THIS BIG. But sure enough, she's my STL. She's younger than 3-4 of my ETLs and I've never "officially" met her, but I have a feeling that we'll get along just fine. I love female management.

Lol.. I seriously just googled her name and put Target after it. I've never met her. I mean, I THOUGHT it was her, because she was in the STL office but there were like 2 others... but I was like no, she's waaaaay too young to manage a store THIS BIG. But sure enough, she's my STL. She's younger than 3-4 of my ETLs and I've never "officially" met her, but I have a feeling that we'll get along just fine. I love female management.
Can I ship you my etl-ge? She's cute, but she eats her weight in snacks each day and hasn't two brain cells to rub together...

Can I ship you my etl-ge? She's cute, but she eats her weight in snacks each day and hasn't two brain cells to rub together...

Hahaha, only if you take mine! Considering she graduated in the same college as mine (UCLA) 8 years laters as me. :-/

She seriously wears the same pants and boots every time I see her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back