Planogram training

Hey everyone, as I mentioned before on here, I started at a target rather recently and while I’ve made some mistakes, I think in general, I’ve done okay in the areas I’ve been assigned.

I’m nearly certain that will change tomorrow as I’m doing planogram training for the first time. Now, my resume made mention of previous work with planograms, but I think the store may have thought I was this huge expert in that field when all I’ve really done is changed some end caps before. The confusion was my fault as I kinda got the planogram terminology wrong and thought I had known more about it than I do.

From what I’ve read online, it’s an uphill battle as far as becoming a regular employee when you’re hired as seasonal and I fear tomorrow is gonna do me in.

I’m working really hard, am early every day, stay over when asked and haven’t called off, but I essentially have no idea how to change planograms and have a terrible case of social anxiety disorder that makes learning quickly difficult. I also lose basic math function in front of people, so I’m nervous about all the measuring and whatnot.

Can anyone tell me how tough planogram is and maybe some tips and tricks to know before hand. I’ve never been so nervous before!

We schedule newbies to mostly push the product under presentation. You’ll be fine, they probably won’t even remember that was on your application anyway.

We schedule newbies to mostly push the product under presentation. You’ll be fine, they probably won’t even remember that was on your application anyway.

I wish you were right. Unfortunately, my tl asked me to train here because he remembered my previous experience. What you described, is mostly what I use to do. At my old job, we had a team that would do all the shelving changes and tagging and sometimes I would just work to assign the product to the new spot.

I didn’t intentionally misrepresent myself, I think is just got confused on the different aspects of planograms.

On occasion, I would do some end cap resets, but this place was really generic and small, so it wasn’t remotely complicated. Mainly just switching out the printed tags and adjusting a shelf. Not full scale resets though. And Target is so specific about everything that I just know I’m gonna be lost.

I wish you were right. Unfortunately, my tl asked me to train here because he remembered my previous experience. What you described, is mostly what I use to do. At my old job, we had a team that would do all the shelving changes and tagging and sometimes I would just work to assign the product to the new spot.

I didn’t intentionally misrepresent myself, I think is just got confused on the different aspects of planograms.

On occasion, I would do some end cap resets, but this place was really generic and small, so it wasn’t remotely complicated. Mainly just switching out the printed tags and adjusting a shelf. Not full scale resets though. And Target is so specific about everything that I just know I’m gonna be lost.
Just quit.

Don't worry about needing to do any math. The planogram will tell you where to put the shelf and where to put the pegs. As long as you know your letters and can count, you'll be fine. Target makes setting pogs a bit easier than some retailers because items are automatically assigned to locations as soon as you tie the planogram. Just set the shelves/pegs, place labels & label strips, set any ISM, fill in the product.

There are a lot of intricacies involved in setting some pogs. Usually for training, you will be given easier ones to see how you do and to learn. As you get more comfortable, you can move to harder ones. Then when you get really good, none of them will seem hard at all anymore!

You will do just fine. Some of the newbies at my store are being trained in pog. They want every GM team member in my store to know it, especially all DBO's incase they are needed.

Isn’t there like some physical abacus thing for setting pegs that actually points out where each peg will go?

A battleship. I don't know of any stores that still use them. Our last one got lost, would have been nice to keep for nostalgia.
We still have quite a few! We took them from stores that got rid of them, and I've rescued them out of the trash a couple times now. They're a godsend for teaching new TMs how to set pegs, especially since the leadership at my store likes to day "just guess and move it if you need to!" instead of setting stuff correctly.

We still have quite a few! We took them from stores that got rid of them, and I've rescued them out of the trash a couple times now. They're a godsend for teaching new TMs how to set pegs, especially since the leadership at my store likes to day "just guess and move it if you need to!" instead of setting stuff correctly.

I just taught my TL how to set without guessing. She was floored when I showed her!

I just taught my TL how to set without guessing. She was floored when I showed her!
We have a TL and ETL who can't read adjacencies, so they just set endcaps wherever they'd like. Then they wonder how we have 3-4 of the same endcap set in different places. I used to be nice and map out his endcaps for him, but if he's not going to bother learning how to do it, oh well, his problem now. I'm not even supposed to be doing anything Presentation-related anymore, but I always end up getting stuck with it since we don't have enough people with a deep knowledge of the fixtures, maps, etc. :rolleyes:

When I started learning salesplanner, my TL told me to count the dots. Been doing that for like a year until I came to plano where they showed me the right way. Counting dots aint easy yo

When I started learning salesplanner, my TL told me to count the dots. Been doing that for like a year until I came to plano where they showed me the right way. Counting dots aint easy yo

I count dots when I don't have a paper pog to look at. Despite being told by corporate that it would be visible on the zebra. Liars.

Reading this post made me realize that after all these years, I have forgotten how to set pegs 😭 aren’t there like notches on the side of the gondola or something like that, that you can use to count?

Reading this post made me realize that after all these years, I have forgotten how to set pegs 😭 aren’t there like notches on the side of the gondola or something like that, that you can use to count?

Yes, but those are for counting shelves. And if you're really good you can cheat using shortcuts.

How do you do it without guessing? If it's easily explained that is. I've seen some of those funky letter codes on the pog schematic which makes more sense when looking at the image above, but wouldn't be too sure where to start.

How do you do it without guessing? If it's easily explained that is. I've seen some of those funky letter codes on the pog schematic which makes more sense when looking at the image above, but wouldn't be too sure where to start.

Use a measuring tape to count the holes vertically. Each hole in-between is an inch. If tall gondola, you can count from the top 76 (short gondola is 54?), the bottom of the top backer is 36 inline or 34 for endcap. If I'm missing a shortcut let me know. Knowledge is power :)

From the bottom of the gondola, you'd start counting each hole. That corresponds to the number on the schematic. Short cut for this: top of the gondola is 76, bottom of the top backer paper is 36. The letters start on the left (right side for reverse) and also correspond to a hole. The first hole is covered by backer paper but that is A. Go through the alphabet and when you get to Z it starts back over but with double letters. Shortcut which sometimes helps: the last lettered peg you can place is TT. With practice, you can recite the alphabet backwards. Example: G42 on the schematic is 42 holes up and 7 holes over.

You don't need a measuring tape if you are using the shortcuts and counting anyway. I've always found a measuring tape unnecessary for pegs, but if it works for you, go for it.

No one should ever be left to set a pog without being shown how correctly, no matter what they claim they know. It is easier to teach you how to do it right than fix it if you mess it up. If your Seasonal set is finished there is nothing to worry about for pog shifts for a while, work has dropped off. There are endcaps to do but they are simple : few shelves, maybe some pegs. Read the pog closely : look for backer paper DPCI’ s & signing needed. on the zebra: Line listing is very helpful as is pog images at times. No way to fake it. Be honest about what you need to learn.

From the bottom of the gondola, you'd start counting each hole. That corresponds to the number on the schematic. Short cut for this: top of the gondola is 76, bottom of the top backer paper is 36. The letters start on the left (right side for reverse) and also correspond to a hole. The first hole is covered by backer paper but that is A. Go through the alphabet and when you get to Z it starts back over but with double letters. Shortcut which sometimes helps: the last lettered peg you can place is TT. With practice, you can recite the alphabet backwards. Example: G42 on the schematic is 42 holes up and 7 holes over.

You don't need a measuring tape if you are using the shortcuts and counting anyway. I've always found a measuring tape unnecessary for pegs, but if it works for you, go for it.
Thanks! Will have to give it a try next time I do one with pegs.

Back