Playing Music In Target?

Would You Want Music Playing In Target?

• Yaaaaaaaaas

Votes: 197 59.3%
  • Heck no

Votes: 135 40.7%

• Total voters
I assume there's a giant list of songs pre-approved for play, then Target partners with spotify or iHeartradio to find out the preferences of the guests in the store/area, to narrow the list.

We got music at the end of a remodel and it all seems to have a similar bouncy beat and it's just a little loud. Definitely not background level. I suspect it's like that to keep guests from thinking too much and skip around the store distractedly buying stuff. It's not the worst idea.

My store just got it.

We've had:

The Middle (yes, the fucking song

Applause - Lady Gaga
Some remix of a Whitney Houston song that I can't remember which one it was
Hot 'n' Cold - Katy Perry
Best Day Of My Life - American Authors
CUT TO THE FEELING BY THE QUEEN OF POP CARLY RAE JEPSEN YAS

Some rando country-pop songs
Some weird EDM-lite shit that sounds like it'd be in the club.

It's not horrible.
Anything but country music. Country music is awful on repeat imo

We've had in-store music for almost 5 years. 5 years of remixed-psudo-techno-oooontz-oooontz-oooontz-oooontz-Cher-Beyonce. Techno in the morning and also when we had overnight. After the shooting in Nevada it was constant country music. Lately, the oooontz-oooontz-oooontz has been frequently morphing into 80's and 70's disco. You'll spy guests and even TMs tapping their feet, myself included. Alas, come Friday evening it's back to psuedo-techno for the weekend.

Too, the volume in women's softlines is super L.O.U.D. kinda like those mall shops targeting teenagers with the latest beepbop. Still, on those occasional times when it is not operating we all kinda look at each other: it's freakishly quiet. Too quiet. You can almost hear the junkies shooting up in the restrooms. yikes.

So yeah ... it kinda grows on you. Your Results May Vary.

I assume there's a giant list of songs pre-approved for play, then Target partners with spotify or iHeartradio to find out the preferences of the guests in the store/area, to narrow the list.

Our system has the "tuner" in the control room with the name of the current playlist displayed. It's locked down though so no changing the channel/playlist is permitted / capable at the store level.

Anything but country music. Country music is awful on repeat imo

Depends on the country.
I would go with Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, Roy Orbison, Imelda May, Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker, Steve Earle, The Silver Shine, Reverend Hortan Heat, Social Distortion, Red Elvises, Southern Culture on the Skids, Cherry Poppin Daddies, Hillbilly Moon Explosion, The Blasters or most other Rockabilly.

I would hate overhead music. Hate it. Last place I worked had music. First office, the manager put it on a kids station to keep from offensive to any customer. There was one song that sounded like gerbils were singing, played at least twice a day. Same with the chick who sits on the bleachers waiting for some guy to realize he doesn't want the popular girl. I changed offices, thankfully there was no speaker in this one, but then there was the manager war. Soon as the big manager stepped out of the building the other managers complained about bleeding ears and arguing about what station to put it on. Even then, no matter what, the old folks complained about the music. Switch to make them happy and the young families would complain. Switch to make them happy and the child-free yuppies would complain. And then there was the day that the normally somewhat acceptable to all groups station played some song, wish I knew which one, where three salesmen bypassed the managers to get the radio changed because it was about a blowjob.

No. I don't want singing gerbils, I don't want teen drama queens wondering why the boys don't see them, I don't want to deal with every other guest complaining about the choice of music, and I really don't want to be there when a little kid asks why the song is talking about going down.

Besides, the whole reason the last place paid for cable radio and dedicated so much time and energy to station choice is so that customers couldn't hear what was going on around them, especially tables not even 5 feet away. If we are supposed to be selling, how is interfering the guests' ability to hear going to help?

Ugh!! There are already parts of the store where I (operator) can barely hear what they're saying on the other end of the phone (looking at you noisy GUEST SERVICE desk)! If we get music after our remodel, combined with the walkie chatter (why can't you switch to 2 if you need to have a 5 minute conversation?!) I won't be able to hear a damn thing!

Our system has the "tuner" in the control room with the name of the current playlist displayed. It's locked down though so no changing the channel/playlist is permitted / capable at the store level.

aWbCLum.png

If that volume bothers you-you need to get your hearing checked.

I've never heard it loud in a store before.

I promise it's louder than background at my store. I can't even hear my walkie without turning it up pretty high. And you know it's high because when I go in the backroom all of a sudden it's super loud. I keep thinking it will be adjusted...and it was at first because guests were complaining (justified)...but it's still too loud imo...oh wait, except when a good song comes on, then it's almost loud enough. ;)

My store just got it.

We've had:

The Middle (yes, the fucking song

Applause - Lady Gaga
Some remix of a Whitney Houston song that I can't remember which one it was
Hot 'n' Cold - Katy Perry
Best Day Of My Life - American Authors
CUT TO THE FEELING BY THE QUEEN OF POP CARLY RAE JEPSEN YAS

Some rando country-pop songs
Some weird EDM-lite shit that sounds like it'd be in the club.

It's not horrible.
It will be when they start playing "You Suffer" by grindcore band Napalm Death

Last edited:
Y'all just better pray you guys don't get annoying ass "DJs" like we have at Walmart. "Alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllright everyone, do you know what timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it issssssssssssssssssssssssssssss? *5 random air horns* its rooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllbackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Wednesdayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

and from time to time they do the walmart cheer. :confused:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone work at a target where they play music in the store? If not why? I've actually had several guests ask about that. I'd really like them to do that because especially at night when there's not a lot of people it get so quiet when I'm working and I hate it. Lol maybe it's just me. Thoughts?

My store doesn't have music. I used to work at another retailer before Target. That place had a "songs of the summer" playlist on loop. At first I was ok with it but then it got annoying. Also, after my summer job ended, I found that whenever I heard these songs, they triggered bad feelings/memories from my job. :(

I honestly love that Target has no overhead music. It is one of the best things about it.

If that volume bothers you-you need to get your hearing checked.

I've never heard it loud in a store before.

No, Kartman, it's quite loud ... even the guests comment the same. Just in womens softlines, though. Everywhere else it's just ... *there* ... not soft but present but in softlines ... it rattles the ceiling tiles. Our PMT is always having to select a new tile du jour to affix more tightly to prevent vibrations. He has even said it's the loudest of the stores he's worked in then shakes his head ... "ugh ... urban sh*t show stores ...".

Edit: oh and the guest comments are not complaints per se as I think most of them think it's cool (we're over run with teens and millennials except during tourist season then it is families snapping selfies in front of our displays of which I regularly photobomb). The only complaints are the suburbanites who venture into the city as if it's some sort of dangerous tropical locale ... ever looking over their shoulders and huddling their small children to their knees as they slowly edge their way through Chem and Seasonal.

*nods head in shame over what he has seen*

Last edited:
Back