Playing Music In Target?

Would You Want Music Playing In Target?

• Yaaaaaaaaas

Votes: 197 59.3%
  • Heck no

Votes: 135 40.7%

• Total voters
No, Kartman, it's quite loud ... even the guests comment the same. Just in womens softlines, though. Everywhere else it's just ... *there* ... not soft but present but in softlines ... it rattles the ceiling tiles. Our PMT is always having to select a new tile du jour to affix more tightly to prevent vibrations. He has even said it's the loudest of the stores he's worked in then shakes his head ... "ugh ... urban sh*t show stores ...".

Edit: oh and the guest comments are not complaints per se as I think most of them think it's cool (we're over run with teens and millennials except during tourist season then it is families snapping selfies in front of our displays of which I regularly photobomb). The only complaints are the suburbanites who venture into the city as if it's some sort of dangerous tropical locale ... ever looking over their shoulders and huddling their small children to their knees as they slowly edge their way through Chem and Seasonal.

*nods head in shame over what he has seen*
At my store, it's not loud. You can hardly hear it. An even less loud by pfresh.

I do question some song choices tho. "I'm in love with a fat girl". Really? And there was an R&B remake of a Christmas song I didn't like. Forget what it was now though. And "Nothin for Christmas" is not appropriate.

Last edited:
Wow, I really, really! hope that we do not start having overhead music at my store. Worked at another retailer that did and it could be ok, sort of, depending on who set the dial that day. Lots of "play fights" over stations. There are places at my store where the "ding" of the phone is loud enough to be painful - can't imagine what music would be like all the time. Ug.

the loud ass echo chamber I mentioned previously liked to play SUMMERTIME SADNESS on a loop, like I could be in there shopping for 30 minutes and it would play 3-4 times. I actually like Lana del Rey but come tf on, that track is overplayed everywhere

In some areas of my store the music is/seems very loud - Like put my headphone (worn on one ear) volume up 2-3 notches to only half-way drown it out. Other areas it's purely background.

Holiday Season Playlist:

"Yule Shoot Your Eye Out,” Fall Out Boy

"Zombie Christmas,” Emmy the Great & Tim Wheeler

“Don’t Shoot Me Santa,” The Killers

“Christmas Unicorn,” Sufjan Stevens

“Let Me Sleep (Christmas Time),” Pearl Jam

"Merry Christmas, Kiss My Ass,” All Time Low

"Christmas in Hollis," Run-DMC

"Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis," Tom Waits

"Space Christmas," Shonen Knife

"Mistress for Christmas," AC/DC

I wouldn’t want loud music playing overhead during business hours. That would just be annoying.

I really would like it if I was able to put on Spotify all day and listen to it at a low volume.

My store just got it.

We've had:

The Middle (yes, the fucking song

Applause - Lady Gaga
Some remix of a Whitney Houston song that I can't remember which one it was
Hot 'n' Cold - Katy Perry
Best Day Of My Life - American Authors
CUT TO THE FEELING BY THE QUEEN OF POP CARLY RAE JEPSEN YAS

Some rando country-pop songs
Some weird EDM-lite shit that sounds like it'd be in the club.

It's not horrible.

A fellow Carly and Gaga stan!

Last edited:
We had a remodel last year, but we don't have music. I'd like to think some music would be nice until I think about the holidays, when it would be non-stop Xmas music from November 1st to December 31st.

Back