Please tell me that what happened to me today isn't the norm across Target stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently lost my mother, to a disease that normally isn't fatal. I thought it a delusion, I cried, cried some more, went to work because I knew I would just sit in my computer chair and just wither away, was a zombie, and at one point slammed my fist repeatedly into a metal door to hurt myself and when my husband pulled me away I screamed I wanted to cut myself.

But never once did I threaten an attack at anyone, not even asshole guests.

People grieve differently, but grief is not an excuse for verbal assault/threatening harm. We hurt, but we still have a sense of right and wrong.

The difference here is that nowhere in your story do you describe someone insinuating that you were lying about your mother's death. That's what happened to me, and why I reacted the way I did. Think about how you might react in similar circumstances.

I'm sorry for your loss.

It wouldn't matter if they had said I was lying. I still wouldn't threaten someone because threatening is wrong and grief is no excuse.

And that seems to be a concept that you don't want to understand. Threatening is wrong. It is morally wrong, it is ethically wrong, it is legally wrong, it's just wrong all over. Grief is no excuse for committing wrongdoings. Scream at the HR person that they are lower than a worm's belly at a volume that makes their ears ring for an hour, that'd be understandable. Threatening, no.

Grief ≠ permission to threaten violence. Quit tying the two together, they are not bed buddies. Your grief is understandable. It is not an excuse to threaten. You had a choice in what words you used. You had a choice when you thought them, you had a choice when you opened your mouth to say them. Quit being insulting to others who have also grieved by saying they can't possibly understand how reasonable it is to use grief as an excuse to be cruel to others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back