POS 2.0/New POS Shenanigans

My store has new POS update on front row registers. The back row is still on Classic POS. There are many functionality that we have to use on Classic POS especially for requisitioning items.

They did remove physical keyboard. I know it’s useless but it would’ve been nice to leave it there anyways for that, “ctrl + alt + del” to reboot the computer and it looks less ugly when you have keyboard on. Without keyboard, it’s quite ugly. I feel like we have to put in more effort to stand there and hold the power button then wait for it to shut down. Then additional 10 seconds for it to be completely off so you can press it again to turn it back on. I like a simple reboot and walk away.

I do not understand why they haven’t upgraded it to Windows 10 considering there’s EOL for Windows 7.

As a deaf person, I disagree with their memo about the part where they believe using touch screen 100% makes the whole interaction faster. I’m deaf so I literally have to tell customer to hold on then look at the monitor and press things then back to customer to proceed reading their lips. I liked being able to read their lips while typing on keyboard, mentally.

Windows 10 updates like to mess with computers. I can't imagine what a fuckup would do to a register

Not true. That’s why they test update on their own testing POS in Corp office before rolling out widespread.

I used to work at Best Buy. Always had tons of problem with POS program on Windows 7. They rolled out Windows 10 two years ago on all POS using SAME POS program. They have stopped facing so much issues. Because of their security, Best Buy IT approved bringing back Internet Browser support on POS so we could surf the Internet on POS computers. We couldn’t on Windows 7 (we did have that ability before but because security wasn’t trusted enough.. they removed browser ability). Imagine how many old Best Buy peeps were excited to have browser returning in Windows 10.

They have to test on their mock POS before rolling out updates because of security reason. To ensure it pass the requirements. Otherwise they face hefty fines with laws if POS was found to be vulnerable.

What OS does the elo run though?
The ones on the registers right now don't have any built in OS. The service hubs and connected home demos (some stores have these) are Android. I don't know if this is true but im sure they can put Linux on there too.

Back