Archived Positive Target Canada News.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished scheduling for Black Friday, at least in my store we will be open from 7am-11pm on the day. Rumors are going around that we will have US pricing on the items, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think we will see anywhere near the volume of people the US stores do.

But in keeping with the trend here, it will probably be very disorganized lol

I have been told that we were doing very good, exceeding our goals in sales. Just have to wonder if it'll last. I mean I did have one guest come up to me & say -and I quote- "Do you really f*cking think you'll bring [*Blue Competitor*] out of business with some of the prices you got on? I know my prices and you guys are nowhere near those of [*Blue Competitors*]."

I hope our Black Friday will go as smooth as our PS4 launch day, because that was probably the smoothest launch I have ever been part of.

Things have been looking pretty good at my store as of late, too. Still come across the occasional guest that wants to complain that we're out of an item that we have on sale on the first or second day of a flyer/out of an item that we haven't had in a while but overall, it's nice to see that things are looking up.

Can't speak for them but in my store the day was very positive. Opened to a line of about 100 to 150 people and apart from 2 or 3 everyone calmly walked into the store.

Tvs and our electronics dept were the most popular. We sold out of Apple products super quick. Had no AP issues, other than a merch recovery that was found on the sales floor.

Definitely have changes moving forward to next year, but for our first one it went great.

You celebrate your Thanksgiving at a different time than the US does....you celebrate on October1st or 2nd. Your day falls on a different day each year, right? I'm wondering if Target will have both countries celebrate both Thanksgivings. I'm sure someone at spot is already trying to figure out how we can celebrate both counties Independence Days...we'll have shared veteran's Days and Memorial days. Just think they can double up on the "common" holidays we both have and then have MEGAsales. Yep, I can see it now.

My store has been doing good as well. More often than not we are hitting sales and we get great feedback scores. It was a hard sell in our town where everyone including myself was engrained to our usual big box stores, but it looks like everyone's comin around

Former Canuck living in the US now. What are the daily sales forecasts like in Canadian stores?

I went to visit one on a trip home (by Sherway Gardens in Toronto, October 2013) and it was weird. It was mid-day, so it wasn't very busy. Not a single TM approached me to ask if I needed any help, and most didn't look too FFF. The cashier was super sweet, but that was it TM wise. In contrast, at my store, we really push the FFF philosophy, it's one of the few things I really like about Target policies. Everyone from our Store Team Lead to backroom (when they're allowed out of their dungeon) will chat with guests, have a laugh, and see if they need help.

I'm a super friendly person, an even friendlier TM, from the friendliest country on the planet... but I just wasn't getting that vibe from that location.

The new Stockyards location (also in Toronto, the first ground-up build for the Canadian expansion afaik) just opened, and I hope to check it out within the next year or so :)

I have a friend who lives in Canada... He says the store near him is "overly friendly" and lays it on too thick with the guest service. But he went home (Nova Scotia) and said the place was dump, empty, and everyone was grumpy...

I've been working at Target since September of 2013 and I have yet to hear a TM say "can I help you find something". At my store no one will approach guests and most TMs that work there couldn't care less about FFF attitude (not saying they're rude, in fact, they are very willing to help if you approach, but will not go out of their way to help out) Probably because no one likes being there. Awhile back we were supposed to write why we liked working at Target and post it up on the wall, however it backfired when probably half the ones posted were talking about how much they hate working there.

I've been working at Target since September of 2013 and I have yet to hear a TM say "can I help you find something". At my store no one will approach guests and most TMs that work there couldn't care less about FFF attitude (not saying they're rude, in fact, they are very willing to help if you approach, but will not go out of their way to help out) Probably because no one likes being there. Awhile back we were supposed to write why we liked working at Target and post it up on the wall, however it backfired when probably half the ones posted were talking about how much they hate working there.

Wow, that's got to hurt at Spot.
They at least like to keep the veneer of FFF at the stores, where it may not be real but there's just enough people who have swallowed the Kool-aid to make it that way.

Wow, that's got to hurt at Spot.
They at least like to keep the veneer of FFF at the stores, where it may not be real but there's just enough people who have swallowed the Kool-aid to make it that way.

It's hard to keep FFF attitude when everyone's hours get cut to between 4 and 20 even though our sales are above forecast and rising. Coupled with a new TL/SrTL leaving every month but not before making it clear to everyone 'you can do better than working here' (I've been told this by my current SrTL and my ETL HR, although she was a lot more HR-y about it who both suggested I leave Target) TMs don't even participate on FFF activities for TMs ... unless it involves free food. We've had a few TMs even leave Target to work at Walmart with most saying the work is harder, less recognition but more hours and more enjoyable place to work...

Guess what they've started to do in my store now ---cancel shifts. Yes that's right! I work in a Canadian store and depending on sales and forecast if they don't think they need you they're now calling you the day before telling you not to come in.

Guess what they've started to do in my store now ---cancel shifts. Yes that's right! I work in a Canadian store and depending on sales and forecast if they don't think they need you they're now calling you the day before telling you not to come in.

Seriously uncool, how the hell do they expect you to plan for paying your bills?
Do they really expect to keep employees that way?

Last edited:
Actually at my store there's cashiers(vets with company) considering quitting because this new system is offering like 2 hour shifts and its not worth the gas to come in

Actually at my store there's cashiers(vets with company) considering quitting because this new system is offering like 2 hour shifts and its not worth the gas to come in

In the province that I'm from they must pay you for a minimum of 3 hours/shift. They can't cancel your shift if you've just clocked in. They could send you home but it would have to be with at least 3 hours pay. Apparently in my province they are within their legal right to cancel your shift so many hours before the start of your shift.

Target Canada went to great lengths to acquire talent from their competitors. I think a lot of people were curious to see if Target was as great as people thought. Instead they're a heck of a lot worse then they're competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back