Archived Predicting Firing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
I was hired as a "fultime regular" before the holiday season. Now that hours have been cut, I have seen someone who had a similar shift to mine in a couple of weeks get laid off. He was a seasonal employee on the sales floor. His schedule this week was a 4 hour shift for the whole week. In 2 weeks, I have the same schedule. Is it safe to assume that I was lied to again (first lie was being told I was a fulltime regular then given 20 hours or less a week schedules) and was hired as a seasonal? Is that even legal???

If you were told you were a full time regular, you don't have to worry about getting laid off (at least without getting performanced out).
The crap schedule will level off as you get closer to Easter.
Ask to be cross trained to other departments, tell them you need more hours and check the swap shift list.
There are tricks and ways to keep your hours up.
As long as you are working hard when you are there, don't worry about being chopped.

If you were told you were a full time regular, you don't have to worry about getting laid off (at least without getting performanced out).
The crap schedule will level off as you get closer to Easter.
Ask to be cross trained to other departments, tell them you need more hours and check the swap shift list.
There are tricks and ways to keep your hours up.
As long as you are working hard when you are there, don't worry about being chopped.

This is the key. I may be a Signing TM but I've been a PA as well, so even during slow weeks for me, my ETL-Log/TL-Rep LOVE to have me run the food truck push, or Set POGs, or Push/Backstock the truck. This even during the slowest times, will more than guarantee me 37-40 hours for the entire year.

More than likely, you re just experiencing the Yearly hour cuts this time of year (and it will get worse, as the month of February is about as low as it will go).

If you are known as being reliable and a hard worker, and not afraid to let your superiors know that the low hours are hurting you and that you would like to know what you could do to increase your value.

Last edited:
This used to be the time of year I got the most workouts.
I'd cashier, work salesfloor/softlines, cashier at pharmacy, run carts, help out at HR, cash office.....you name it.
Sometimes several different workcenters in one day.

Fifteen to twenty is average for my store this time of year. If they hate you it's four to eight.

Fifteen to twenty is average for my store this time of year. If they hate you it's four to eight.
Seriously. I was a new permanent hire that came in with the seasonals, and I've been working upwards of 25 hrs a week post Christmas, though that's with picking up shifts when they ask me to. One girl who started me was scheduled for 8 hours last week. I think she's gone now.

That sucks. I feel like I've been given the short end of the stick. If I'm doing so bad then why doesn't somebody who knows my performance sucks (a TM or something) come up to me and tell me? I'm always open to improving my performance, nobody wants to suck at their job! Seems like Target likes to watch their own people fail, what the hell.

This just kind of supports my gut feeling of being let go in the following week. It was a good run I guess.

Last edited:
That sucks. I feel like I've been given the short end of the stick. If I'm doing so bad then why doesn't somebody who knows my performance sucks (a TM or something) come up to me and tell me? I'm always open to improving my performance, nobody wants to suck at their job! Seems like Target likes to watch their own people fail, what the hell.

This just kind of supports my gut feeling of being let go in the following week. It was a good run I guess.
You don't have to be a bad worker for them to hate you. You may just not be "in" as much as other people. Hours in Jan are kind of like review ratings. They start with the cool kids and give them the good stuff, the rest get whatever is left based on how much they like you.

But You are new , the ones who have been there for years are getting the hours , seems normal to me !
It sucks , but that is how target or even retail works ! It would irk me if someone new would get the hours and I would not .
Having a 100% open availability helps a lot !
I was hired as a seasonal 5 years ago , I started with 18/20 hrs a week as a salesfloor tm , now I have 40 hrs pretty much every week !
I am flow , backroom , pricing , pog ( hardline and softline ) , cash office , instocks , cashier , guest service , salesfloor .
This week , I have shifts in pricing , flow , backroom and presentation....

I was hired as a "fultime regular" before the holiday season. Now that hours have been cut, I have seen someone who had a similar shift to mine in a couple of weeks get laid off. He was a seasonal employee on the sales floor. His schedule this week was a 4 hour shift for the whole week. In 2 weeks, I have the same schedule. Is it safe to assume that I was lied to again (first lie was being told I was a fulltime regular then given 20 hours or less a week schedules) and was hired as a seasonal? Is that even legal???
Hours just suck right now.

But Seasonals and regular TMs work differently. Seasonals can be let go anytime during their 90 day employment. Regulars can't just be let go without reason if they already passed their 90 day prob. period.

Don't read too much into the hours situation. Yes, Spot can do some shady things.However, this time of the year hours are cut. Don't sit around and torture yourself and worry about are they going to let you go etc...if you are worried about it talk to your TL, or etl. Talk to your fellow tms and see how their hours are running .

You might have misunderstood or whoever did your interview told you wrong. There are no "full-time" positions in the store. Even Team Leads can have their hours cut...Target isn't obligated to give anybody a set amount of hours per week.
I was pretty much lied to. I double checked before signing my papers by specifically asking if I had applied for a "Fulltime Regular" position and was told that I was. I haven't seen that lady at my store ever since I got hired. I hate the fact that I had let go of a job with steady hours thinking that I would be having the same experience at Target. Not ever did I expect to get lied to right in my face like that by an employer. I should thank Target for making what little trust I had in retail truly dissolve into nothingness. I wouldn't even trust a firing. I'd have to ask for proof, even after I gave them my signature.

On a brighter note, you guys were right. I was thinking too much into the situation and was scheduled for the next week. I'll take your advice and ask coworkers if they would like to give up a shift and ask to get cross trained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back