Pretty sure I have a permanent injury due to pushing milk pallets...

IHaveNoIdea

Food and Beverage "Expert"
So the last few days of work I had to leave early because I've had pain in my knees. It didn't used to be that bad and tried to just ignore it. Several months ago I pulled a milk pallet, and that time I felt an enormous strain on my legs. Why it has to be stacked six crates high and with nine columns is beyond me. Like a moron, I said nothing, and just went on without reporting it. I've even pushed milk pallets again since then. However, now not only do both my knees hurt, but one "pops" on a regular basis just while walking. I'm hoping with outside physical therapy this gets better, but I think I'm going to quit. Luckily I haven't had to push milk pallets for awhile as I was put almost exclusively on dry market the past few months.

I've noticed recently that some individuals, mainly Tls use a powerjack to push the pallets, but no one trains the typical team members to use them., and if you aren't trained, you can't use them. I feel like this shit could be avoided if regular tms are trained to use a power jack to push milk pallets rather than strain oneself to pull so much from one side of the store to the other. Anyone else go through this?

Ask to transfer to cashier it pays the same and you can stand in one spot for a long period of time.
not to brag but my store has a back loading milk cooler. We push right from the milk pallets to the shelf. But still no one pushing milk when I’m off or very very little gets pushed or rotated up

When I was in market we never brought pallets of milk out onto the floor, I would load the crates onto a flat and make sure they weren’t too heavy

When I was in market we never brought pallets of milk out onto the floor, I would load the crates onto a flat and make sure they weren’t too heavy
I make my TMs do that, to show them who’s boss.
Like yeah its counter productive, takes twice as long and physically demanding.

I make my TMs do that, to show them who’s boss.
Like yeah its counter productive, takes twice as long and physically demanding.
Our milk didn’t come in on pallets though the vendor would just put the crates on the floor in the cooler 😂

but you should really just make them carry it all by hand lol

Power jacks aren't supposed to be used on the salesfloor so this wouldn't help with the milk pallets.

Not sure if that is storewide policy but our market tm in charge of beverage use it everyday and no one has said anything. I think as long as it's not during store hours, it's ok. I don't blame him though, who would want to pull a pallet of water every morning with a regular jack!

Policy is no power jacks on the sales floor but ive had enough back issues myself that i will either use the power jack or just not push the pallet of water, unless i have someone helping me. Ive been using the jack for years and i know im not going to hit anything or run over something that will ruin the floor tiles. There are probably 2 to 3 other people i realistically trust to have the same vigilance. Tbh im just glad to not be in market anymore and have to deal with any of this on a regular basis.

Doing squats can be a good solution to the pain by strengthening the muscles around your knees. I had been suffering for over a decade from bad knee pain after hurting my knees in high school playing basketball. Repetitive movements like climbing the ladders or even getting up from the floor would make them give out and cause a sharp pain. I didn't even think my knees could handle squats. So first I tried just using my body weight and as I started building up my strength, I began using dumbbells. Now I rarely ever have any pain and my knees never give out on me, been a huge change on my life.

Back