Pride merch

Once again you miss the point completely.

As the Civil Rights Movement started to gain traction there were stores and restaurants that posted signs saying they served all races, creeds, and colors.

People accused them of the same things you are;

1. shoving their faces in integration (they even had Bible verses to back up their evil bullshit)

2. Forcing their kids to associate with BIPOC. Hell, the town my wife where my wife taught in New Jersey, split into 3 towns so they could avoid integration. The South had nothing on some of the stuff they pulled in the North.

3. There used to be public pools all over the US. Take a wild guess why they don't exist anymore?

4. People who considered themselves to be moderate and even liberal hated MLK and really hated Malcolm X because they were "too pushy", "too radical".
They could have Rights but they needed to be quiet about and stay in their place.
It was unacceptable to put stress on the social order and totally disgusting to call out systemic racism.

So this is just a replay of the old hits and they would just be boring if they weren't so fucking dangerous.
The three young men who were beaten to death in Mississippi for trying to register Black to vote is just one example from then.
How many is it going to take now for this to stop?
It boggles my mind that people don't understand this, or don't care, or actively hate progress. "I don't want it shoved in my face" is such a dead giveaway. A very sad commentary on the minds of these bigots.

I sure hope these people aren't poisoning the minds of their children with their thinly-disguised hatred.

Scratch that, it's not even thinly-disguised, it's out and out hatred.

Last edited:
More support for the team at a store level. They offer a lot of phone consultation support etc. I have seen posts saying target is a safe space if you are LGBTQ and offering someone to talk to in the form of HR or SD. But never do you see or hear of anything for people that struggle with other stuff.

Actually I have. They don't advertise it because it is private. We have had many TMs living in cars, mental health issues including drug use and suicidal, and a whole ton of stuff. Some of it is help over the phone and some is in person. Does anyone get to know? No, why should they. I've told many people who are struggling to talk to HR. I've talked to HR for some of them. In some situations, AP helps too. I have my own personal story, but I'm not sharing that here

This^
Working in food I was occasionally told to comp a meal or prepare a kit for someone according to my ETL-HR.
Sometimes it was toiletries/personal care, sometimes foodstuffs, sometimes infant supplies.
Recently it was clothing for a TM who lost everything in a fire.

Children know heterosexual couples because in order for them to be born, a heterosexual relationship had to take place(except in rare cases). They are familiar with their parents being affectionate with one another.
Like I've said before there has never been a "boycott" before because Target hasn't sold such "progressive" merchandise like they have this year. Maybe people were becoming more comfortable/accepting of "Pride" merchandise and lifestyle etc. Then Target took it a step further and people are uncomfortable again.

I'd be very interested to see the opposite sides reaction to Target selling conservative merchandise. MAGA hats and flags. Desantis shirts. I'm sure it would be a very similar response and handled in a similar way by Target.
are the pride mannequins making out or something? Why would you need to have a conversation about people loving people, and if you did how is that a bad thing?

Last edited:
I mean it's entirely possible Black History month is sparking conversations, I'm sure some schools do lessons about it. So kids are probably already exposed to it. Also it isn't fostering ideas that it is ok to change your sex. Also that merchandise is typically shoved in the back of the store or floor pad.

So you think explaining why a man would want to wear a bathing suit that conceals his penis is an easier conversation to have with a little child than why grandma is dead? Yeah I don't think so.
Lol what kid walks by the display and asks about the bathing suit. Let’s be real.

It’s like bathing suits that constrict the stomach to make people appear thinner, are kids really stopping and asking questions?

Last edited:
Anything is possible, buddy.

People are uncomfortable and can choose to react to it however they want. I don't agree with the bomb threats, angry phone calls or people being mean to team members in the store. But if you don't want to shop at a store that you don't agree with then it's up to you.

How would you react if Target sold Trump merchandise and put a big display right in the front of the store? I'm seriously asking, please answer. I'm sure most people who disagreed would respond in a way much worse than those who negatively responded to pride.

I have worked for Target for almost 2 decades and I couldn't give a shit less about the pride merchandise in the past. I think they went a little far this year and I don't think they handled it correctly once people got upset. But I just work here and I stay in my lane. If I didn't work here and get a discount I wouldn't boycott target but I also wouldn't go out of my way to go either.

I have no issues with how others live their lives. I just don't want it shoved in my face. That's the way I feel about sexuality(I don't want to see PDA of any sort), politics and anything else you can think of. I can have a civil conversation with anyone as long as they share the same courtesy.
Politics are not equal to celebrating people for being themselves.

In your opinion it expounds hate. Almost half of the country supports that side and would be happy to see that merchandise in the front of the store. Just because you disagree with their views, you'd be upset.

During the BLM protests, people rioted and destroyed stores and businesses, Target included. That expounded violence and people still supported it.

It's shoved in my face because it's the first thing I see when I walk into Target and it is a controversial topic that I don't necessarily want to see on my way to pick up milk. The family gateway typically has regular clothing or holiday sleepwear, nothing that isn't typical in 99% of the other stores you go in to.

I also have a problem with the body positivity signing in the store that has nothing to do with Pride or a controversial issue. I think that the signing is extreme and is obviously forced and objectifying in a different way.
Being proud of who you are shouldn’t be controversial. That’s your problem.

I'm not going to turn this into a racial debate. You know that slavery isn't the same as Target selling Pride clothing.

Both sides in the current debate are valid, you just don't agree with my views the same way I don't agree with yours. That's all it is, beliefs and thoughts. No one is going to actual war over this and I am not going to force my beliefs on others.
Kind of like selling pride merch isn’t the same as selling MAGAt merch…huh?

Good Bye GIF
wow there is a shit- ton of crazy in here… i’m out
Isn’t this the dude always in the dc threads? The same one that has made multiple accounts and tried getting Brian Cornell to be a mentor?

In your opinion it expounds hate. Almost half of the country supports that side and would be happy to see that merchandise in the front of the store. Just because you disagree with their views, you'd be upset.

During the BLM protests, people rioted and destroyed stores and businesses, Target included. That expounded violence and people still supported it.

It's shoved in my face because it's the first thing I see when I walk into Target and it is a controversial topic that I don't necessarily want to see on my way to pick up milk. The family gateway typically has regular clothing or holiday sleepwear, nothing that isn't typical in 99% of the other stores you go in to.

I also have a problem with the body positivity signing in the store that has nothing to do with Pride or a controversial issue. I think that the signing is extreme and is obviously forced and objectifying in a different way.
People often package up the anti-Pride stuff with the BLM stuff as a comparison. People do this because they have a twisted world view where it's one side versus another, but ironically, while doing this they frame their own point of view as being "both sides are bad" and they think of themselves as being in the middle, neutral, when they are far from it. It's a common thinking error from people who are labeled "both siders" and it's something that both siders have a hard time seeing. Other points of view are susceptible to other thinking errors, but both siders have it especially hard when it comes to logic and cognitive dissonance. This occurs when "one side" actually is worse (the one who tries to dehumanize/disenfranchise large groups), but the both sides thinker is committed to believing himself neutral and objective, so what happens is something akin to: "The compromise between good and evil is 'some evil'"

I hope you'll not take that too personally, and realize how you are doing the work of the bigots for them here.

are the pride mannequins making out or something? Why would you need to have a conversation about people loving people, and if you did how is that a bad thing?

They are not making out.

They're actually raw-dogging each other, which I found very offensive because they really should have been using protection.

More support for the team at a store level. They offer a lot of phone consultation support etc. I have seen posts saying target is a safe space if you are LGBTQ and offering someone to talk to in the form of HR or SD. But never do you see or hear of anything for people that struggle with other stuff.

How about doing the same or similar for people who are struggling with food insecurity or mental health? On a store level is a lot more personal than talking to someone on the phone.

I had an old SD who would go above and beyond for certain TMs she knew were struggling. I remember one time she gave a $100 GC to a young man who was struggling to provide for his family.

I'm just tired of corporations, especially Target, doing everything for optics. Our district gives away Turkeys on Thanksgiving to a top performing TM. I know for a fact that the TM that received those turkey didn't need it, it should have gone to a family in need. But you bet your ass they made sure to take pictures and share them with everyone and post them on socials. It's all just such bullshit.

People on this board get so offended that Target is caving and taking down the pride merch or that the other side doesn't want it in the first place. They should really be mad at Target for not truly giving a shit like they think and doing it all for money. Target doesn't give a shit about you and are exploiting the Pride movement.

hey so what we're not going to do is weaponize poverty or the mental health crisis as a cudgel for your anti-LGBT bigotry

like, three pages ago the argument you were making was that supporting pride was bad because "the parents aren't ready to tell their kids about gay people!", then it was "a poor financial decision to pander to gay people", and now it's "well target shouldn't have a pride display because they don't celebrate every heritage, memorial, or other commemorative month!"

you are deeply unserious and again, you continue to argue in bad faith. this would all be far less embarrassing if you could just stand in your conviction and say "i don't like gay people" (without trying to use a gay or trans family member as a free pass for your bigotry)

be better 👎

hey so what we're not going to do is weaponize poverty or the mental health crisis as a cudgel for your anti-LGBT bigotry

like, three pages ago the argument you were making was that supporting pride was bad because "the parents aren't ready to tell their kids about gay people!", then it was "a poor financial decision to pander to gay people", and now it's "well target shouldn't have a pride display because they don't celebrate every heritage, memorial, or other commemorative month!"

you are deeply unserious and again, you continue to argue in bad faith. this would all be far less embarrassing if you could just stand in your conviction and say "i don't like gay people" (without trying to use a gay or trans family member as a free pass for your bigotry)

be better 👎
It can be all of the above. There isn't just one reason why all of this was a bad idea.

I am not embarrassed at all in any statement I said nor do I regret saying it. It's ridiculous what this has become, I was out of town over the weekend and was in a very liberal city. The amount of inappropriate behavior and dress I saw was unbelievable.

You can be gay, trans or whatever else they decide to do next, I don't care. But I don't want to have to see it. Love who you want, I don't want to see straight people making out in their underwear. It does force parents into conversations they are not ready to have.

If you say kids don't go up and look at bathing suits, you are probably right most of the time. All it takes is 1 and that is too many in my opinion.

The problem I have with people like you is that my opinion is wrong and yours is right, no matter what. Get over yourself, not everyone is ok with the same things you are.

It can be all of the above. There isn't just one reason why all of this was a bad idea.

I am not embarrassed at all in any statement I said nor do I regret saying it. It's ridiculous what this has become, I was out of town over the weekend and was in a very liberal city. The amount of inappropriate behavior and dress I saw was unbelievable.

You can be gay, trans or whatever else they decide to do next, I don't care. But I don't want to have to see it. Love who you want, I don't want to see straight people making out in their underwear. It does force parents into conversations they are not ready to have.

If you say kids don't go up and look at bathing suits, you are probably right most of the time. All it takes is 1 and that is too many in my opinion.

The problem I have with people like you is that my opinion is wrong and yours is right, no matter what. Get over yourself, not everyone is ok with the same things you are.
it’s not pineapple on pizza, it’s literally people’s right to exist and be themselves without people like you trying to take that from them. THAT’s why your opinion is wrong. no matter what. there is no both sides. you are a bigot, full stop.

there are plenty of “adult” objects that are sold in stores every day that are not a swimsuit with extra coverage. we sell actual sex toys. for straight people. somehow, the kids are alright. your outrage is selective and targeted only at gay and trans people. that’s why you’re a bigot.

The reason people like you are not taken seriously by the rest of society is that your entire argument is that if people offend your sensibilities then they shouldn't be allowed to exist. That is what you are arguing for whether you realize it or not.

Also save the whole "think of the children" bullshit because if conservatives actually cared about children they would be picketing churches not drag shows.

The reason people like you are not taken seriously by the rest of society is that your entire argument is that if people offend your sensibilities then they shouldn't be allowed to exist. That is what you are arguing for whether you realize it or not.

Also save the whole "think of the children" bullshit because if conservatives actually cared about children they would be picketing churches not drag shows.
Exist all you want, but don't be wearing leather chaps with your ass hanging out or a fish net shirt with nipple clamps in public.

You can picket both, definitely protect the children from predators at churches and drag shows.

Never once in any post have I said to get rid of the LGBTQ community. I have said save it for yourself and quit trying to convert the whole world into thinking your lifestyle should be accepted by everyone.
This is it. You can accept people but not their views. No one will ever agree on everything, some don't agree on anything.

Just because you are gay or trans or whatever doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Just do you and I'll do me.

I don't need to be reminded of it everyday. Why is there so many "national rememberance or visibility" days? There are a ton of underrepresented people in this country, why so much attention to the LGBTQ community? They make up such a small percentage of the population, yet it's all you hear about.

If you like something then you support it. If not then don't and leave me out of it. Stop trying to change my mind or the way I think. Maybe eventually people will get used to all of this change and it will improve. For me most of it doesn't make sense and I don't think it ever will.

it’s not pineapple on pizza, it’s literally people’s right to exist and be themselves without people like you trying to take that from them. THAT’s why your opinion is wrong. no matter what. there is no both sides. you are a bigot, full stop.

there are plenty of “adult” objects that are sold in stores every day that are not a swimsuit with extra coverage. we sell actual sex toys. for straight people. somehow, the kids are alright. your outrage is selective and targeted only at gay and trans people. that’s why you’re a bigot.

It is like pineapple on pizza, some like it and some don't. I don't want it not to exist I just don't want it on my pizza.

Sure there are adult objects sold in stores, maybe they shouldn't be either. But my point is that selling a vibrator in target isn't the same as selling a bathing suit that encourages you to hide your penis so you can look more like the opposite sex. It just isn't. That's why they have special boutiques for stuff like that, keep that side of your life private.

Back