• Start date
  • Replies 26
  • Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pfreshbackroomguy

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody at corporate has clue what goes on in stores anymore. You got some people writing best practice and then some other people cutting the hours you need for best practice with the idea you will figure out a way to to make it work even if it is not best practice. It is like some sick game and the people in stores are left swinging in the wind.

So I'm curious, is Project One something that is being brought down on all the stores or just some of them?
Are you being given he hours and manpower to accomplish things as written?

3 hours is a bit rough if you're light on people or if the truck is heavy. What's it usually look like?

We usually don't have enough time to get the truck done and all the pulls so instocks will end up doing a huge chunk of the pulls because they can't scan anyway.

the same thing is happening at my store too. then, spot expects pfresh folks to do hba zone too at night.

Nothing in here I can disagree with. For our pfresh schedule it is coverage from 6am-8pm with practically zero overlap. Milk isnt too bad to push out but we still do have to go down from the backroom all the way up front to the coolers which takes a little bit. At least it is on the same side of the store though.

My main thing is the cleaning. If you were to actually follow best practice for all of the cleaning, I think it would literally take a weeks worth of hours to get it done per month. You would have to take every single item off of the shelves in freezers coolers and pfresh and use degreaser, water and sanitizer on each shelf. Then there is the backroom in which they want you to clean the green metro racking which again, you would have to take all the wacos or product off, clean all the wiring and put it back on. Or cleaning inside the wacos which is the same process of taking everything out of them cleaning them putting it back. Oh and dont forget label strips. You know there are probably only about 300+ of those to clean over in the coolers/pfresh area.

Now, cleaning wouldnt be so bad at my store if our closing "team" (team being 1 person) wasnt responsible for zoning the ENTIRE market section including dry market. When I zoned the granola bomb and chip/snack packs yesterday it was like a tornado had gone through the aisle and it took a rediculous ammount of time to just zone those 2 sections. Gotta love the back to school rush :).

The funny thing about this is my CTL is really hard on one of the TMs that closes about their zone and even asked if this particular team member would like the CTL to come in and show them how to close and close with them. Hearing this gave me the best laugh of the day because my CTL has NEVER, NOT ONCE, closed Market and has ZERO clue on what it is actually like.

Coming in at 1:30 or so and only working til 8 doesnt leave a lot of time to get everything done in market. Here is the following of a typical close:

Pray that C+S is received or not coming in that day because we are the first stop and it takes FOREVER to dig through to get that one freezer pallet before you have to put all the other pallets back in to get. Also do daily cleaning if that hasnt been done yet.
Follow up on any projects that needed to be done really quickly. If nothing, then start the zone. I usually start backwall dry grocery down to coolers and freezers and then into pfresh.
Work out the pulls before the 4pm walk. This is 5 metro racks containing freezer, cooler, meat, produce and bananas/other produce. At my store we have to walk one length of the store to the other from BR to Floor. Also dont forget to take your break sometime before 4 as well. The LODs physically have us walk with them in different parts which takes 15 or so minutes.
Continue zoning and working out pulls until pulls are done. Take lunch around 5:30-5:45. Get back from lunch and go to huddle at 6:15-6:30. Zone for 30 minutes or so.
At 7 start and finish the cull and meat coupons and then finish zoning.

Additional tasks throughout the night include backup cashiering, working out reshop, working our market clearance(had an entire 3 tier stuffed of clearance last night), helping guests in non grocery areas which happens ALL the time since we have to go through seasonal to get to our backroom pfresh area, horray!!! Also collecting reshop/defective/empty packages and cardboard while zoning which usually for me is about a whole 3 tier full of things. AT the end of the night I usually take it to guest service to sort out reshop and then go back to the baler with any empty cardboard.

And I dont know about anyone else, but I have had 2 fellow PAs, who are no longer PAs, who say zoning is so quick and it only takes them like 2 hours, if that. for the ENTIRE market section. While that may be true that it only took them 2 hours, their zone didnt even hold up throughout the same night and in the morning it looked like a disaster down every aisle. When I closed on Monday I found TONS of abandons, alot of things that only had one item pushed forward, and half the diamonds werent even covered. Personally for me it takes me at least 3 hours if its my first night in a row closing because everyone else is so bad at it, it takes forever. Whenever I close 2 nights in a row, that second night usually takes a little longer than 1/2 the time it took the first time.

Its also crazy because apparently 1/2 of pfresh business comes between 4-8 but from 5-8 we have to work out the 4pm and 5pm combined pulls, take a lunch, go to huddle, cull and do meat coupons, sort the reshop and other items we found while zoning, LOD sign off, equipment turn in, prob help a guest in non grocery area for a few minutes here, few minutes there, and somehow get ALL of the zone done. Just seems from that 5-8 block we MAYBE have 45 minutes or so for actual zoning.

You know...come to think of it. If your store is going by best practice do you have all available salesfloor come to help you from 2:30-4ish. I believe in the best practice/pfresh routines that is written in there to help you cull and to help push out all the pulls. My store would NEVER be able to do this considering we have, oh, about 1-2 people on the floor and if they came over they would just be pulled away by backup cashiering or call buttons or what have you.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean on the consecutive nights zone. That is such bullshit! That second night is nice, but I'm seldom scheduled two in a row.

I know exactly what you mean on the consecutive nights zone. That is such bullshit! That second night is nice, but I'm seldom scheduled two in a row.

Neither am I. It just happens I am this week for whatever reason. I hate closing :(

At my store, C & s comes in the early morning. They are suppose to push and backstock that same morning. Recently, our p fresh opener has been scheduled 630am-230pm while the closer is 230pm-1030pm. If our opener is our CTL and they have endcaps or vendors to deal with, then less p fresh stuff gets done while making the closers job harder.

Speaking of vendor issues, who is suppose to make signs for vendor locations when the signing process doesnt put them up or they get lost?

I ask because every week, our kellogs vendors always asks for signs at the times when you cant do it. Since we are a 2 level store with p fresh being downstairs, we have to go upstairs to the only computer/printer that can print signs. That can take up to 15 minutes, time which i dont have

Typically I shoot any signs the Vendor asks for. Might not do it at that moment but I will get it done before I leave

I was going to post the definitions of best practice, such as efficient way to accomplish a task, only a guideline when it suits an ETL, etc. but I didn't know if it would be a noun or verb or what, so I didn't post it.

I am now considering myself incredibly lucky. HL TMs zone dry market at my store, and all of our coolers are right next to the Pfresh area. In addition, PAs are pretty much bottom of the list to go up for backup. Basically EVERYONE else would have to be off the floor ringing/on lunch for us to go up.

But I agree. Best practice would be impossible to do by yourself. Especially on C&S days. 99% of the time our truck is over an hour late (7:30 AM or later), we start to lose people around 10 am, and on a good day will still have a couple people around til 11. Most days we consider it an accomplishment to get frozen/dairy done. On rare days when the whole truck gets done on the same day we basically float around the store because we are so excited.

When filling your sanitizer bottle, make sure the cold water tap is on (hot water makes a surface film that renders it unusable) & let it run until it turns white; then fill your bottle. Let the suds settle before testing, hold the strip in for 10 seconds.

When filling your sanitizer bottle, make sure the cold water tap is on (hot water makes a surface film that renders it unusable) & let it run until it turns white; then fill your bottle. Let the suds settle before testing, hold the strip in for 10 seconds.

GTC for redeye.
Now they need a lesson on how to make the special heavy duty degreaser and sharpen their knives.
Oh, and how to store the ... end product ... so nobody notices.

The real problem is you can not do fresh foods on the cheap and that is what Target is trying to do. Look at amount of employees in a grocery store that work to keep everything clean and fresh. Not only do they have way way more staffing they pay better. If your a PA you should take your training to a grocery store for a nice big increase in pay. I know my old store is having a problem with that. Target wants to half ass it on food and all that is going to do is bite them in the ass like so many other ideas they have that they never manage to execute properly. Pfresh has not been what Target hoped so they as Target always does they answer that by cutting hours. If they are not going to do it right they should not be doing it all.

Hi,

I am Sr. CTL at my store and I definitely can relate to your frustrations with the trailer unload process for Pfresh. As a best practice Logistics team owns the PFresh unload and backstock process as they would for a regular GM Truck. Now this best practice has been in place for quite some time and its shocking to see how many stores was on not this best practice post-introduction of PFresh. This is a Project One: Phase 1 focus for Trailer Unload Best Practices.
When I took over Dry/Dairy/Frozen/PFresh I got my team off the trailer unload process immediately. When Project One came to our district and we only had to adjust a few things with unload process. However, if your store is still having hiccups to get this process under control your CTL needs to reach out to the Food Business Partner (FBP).

At my store, the market team only assist with the truck process if the flow team is behind with push (usually produce) which usually takes us about a good 25 mins to FIFO, push and monarch boxes. If the flow team is not coming clean with the truck, your STL or ETL-LOG should be stepping in and following up with this process. It seems to be there are some performance issues or lack of productivity with the flow team.
As for the AutoFills and CAFs, we (market team) are supposed to push the merchandise and backroom pulls and backstocks.

We are currently in Project One: Phase 2. This round focuses primarily on CTL/Market routines and payroll allocation for Market. FBPs are really pushing this best practice; I went from 94-110 hours to 140-160.
By chance what is your store’s sales volume? We are a B Volume store.

I can sympathize...we lost all our mids earlier this year when payroll went down the drain, but have only recently gained them back on order days. Of course, the flips side is that they cut an hour out of MY regular allocation to help get the mids, but the problem with that is, they cut it on the wrong day...it actually makes it harder, not easier, when I have to leave early on an order day because even though I do have a mid, I can't start the order till a certain time and they just throttled the amount of time in which I can do it. And of course the mid can't do the order, and the closer can't either.

If your store is a B volume, then definitely you all need to have at least 140 minimum to effectively carryout routines.

It sounds like your ETL is not involved with Market and has no idea what goes on in the department. The scheduling guide for market payroll allocation is supposed to be used as a guide to schedule the CTL(s) and PA(s) ONLY reflecting your sales volume and organizational number not a direct guide on how effectively staff the department to carryout routines, set sales plans, push the PFresh truck, communicate with vendors and follow-up with your team.

Has your FBP visited the store since project one phase 2 began? When project one rolled out phase 2 in our district, the FBP requested that all CTLs and ETL-HLs/ETLs in charge of PFresh report for a meeting to be retrained on Routines and Market best practices including payroll/staffing. Payroll was non-negotiable and that STLs must provide the proper number of hours to Market. Each week we have to fax the PFresh Routines Checklist to him. He then forwards this information to his direct supervisor and she follows up with the DTL.

As for Endcaps/Salesplans, although they are in the grey area of our department, the CTL owns the Endcaps/Salesplans on the sales floor. Only if I have to, I will delegate two or three sales plans to my PAs or other Market TMs. I usually have to do this if I am LOD 4 times out of the week. I am curious to which Endcaps that you all have to clean daily? I follow up with my PAs to make sure that the Banana and Produce sections on the table are cleaned daily.

As for the TL position, HR is required to post the position internally to all team members regardless if the store has someone “benched” or in the “developmental pipeline” to become a TL. If those team members are interested they need to approach their TL, ETL, ETL-HR and STL.

Hi,

I am Sr. CTL at my store and I definitely can relate to your frustrations with the trailer unload process for Pfresh. As a best practice Logistics team owns the PFresh unload and backstock process as they would for a regular GM Truck. Now this best practice has been in place for quite some time and its shocking to see how many stores was on not this best practice post-introduction of PFresh. This is a Project One: Phase 1 focus for Trailer Unload Best Practices.
When I took over Dry/Dairy/Frozen/PFresh I got my team off the trailer unload process immediately. When Project One came to our district and we only had to adjust a few things with unload process. However, if your store is still having hiccups to get this process under control your CTL needs to reach out to the Food Business Partner (FBP).

At my store, the market team only assist with the truck process if the flow team is behind with push (usually produce) which usually takes us about a good 25 mins to FIFO, push and monarch boxes. If the flow team is not coming clean with the truck, your STL or ETL-LOG should be stepping in and following up with this process. It seems to be there are some performance issues or lack of productivity with the flow team.
As for the AutoFills and CAFs, we (market team) are supposed to push the merchandise and backroom pulls and backstocks.

We are currently in Project One: Phase 2. This round focuses primarily on CTL/Market routines and payroll allocation for Market. FBPs are really pushing this best practice; I went from 94-110 hours to 140-160.

Wait Wait Wait...Payroll allocation? If I find out we have been getting screwed out of hours because the store wanted to use them for something else I am going to be pissed. They allready make us do Reshop, Zoning ALL of Market, Backup Cashier, NO overlap, only scheduled 6am-8pm coverage and 90% of the time we help a guest it isnt even for Market since we have to go through seasonal to get to the backroom and the other times the guest cant find anyone else.

Hi,

Wait Wait Wait...Payroll allocation? If I find out we have been getting screwed out of hours because the store wanted to use them for something else I am going to be pissed. They allready make us do Reshop, Zoning ALL of Market, Backup Cashier, NO overlap, only scheduled 6am-8pm coverage and 90% of the time we help a guest it isnt even for Market since we have to go through seasonal to get to the backroom and the other times the guest cant find anyone else.

Seeing as your store is ULV, you probably wouldn't get that many more hours allocated.

Hi,

Seeing as your store is ULV, you probably wouldn't get that many more hours allocated.

Yet there is the same work, and probably MORE guest service and other related projects.... :wacko:

A few weeks later and my p fresh backroom is still a mess. This is all thanks to project one. We had a great thing going until it was decided what we were doing with p fresh trucks was not "best practice" even though it worked. We one team member work backroom p fresh everyday, 2 on truck days. The truck backstock was not only done on time, it was backstocked in the most organized way. There was never any out dated product in the p fresh coolers. The coolers were always updated, which helped with p fresh counts and ordering.

But someone thought decided it wasnt best. Today, they didnt finish pushing the p fresh truck. They left 3 huge flats of dairy and didnt finish backstocking any of the other coolers. Our dairy cooler was packed & we had a milk delivery today.

I dont think anyone who works outside Pfresh in the Stores knows anything related to pfresh or how to run it effectively

I dont think anyone who works outside Pfresh in the Stores knows anything related to pfresh or how to run it effectively

This is so damn true. Out of all the areas I've worked at Target, Pfresh was the most ignored/overlooked. No one knows the shit you go through in Pfresh.

A few weeks later and my p fresh backroom is still a mess. This is all thanks to project one. We had a great thing going until it was decided what we were doing with p fresh trucks was not "best practice" even though it worked. We one team member work backroom p fresh everyday, 2 on truck days. The truck backstock was not only done on time, it was backstocked in the most organized way. There was never any out dated product in the p fresh coolers. The coolers were always updated, which helped with p fresh counts and ordering.

But someone thought decided it wasnt best. Today, they didnt finish pushing the p fresh truck. They left 3 huge flats of dairy and didnt finish backstocking any of the other coolers. Our dairy cooler was packed & we had a milk delivery today.

Pretty sure that our flow team, backroom team, instocks team, plano team, and pricing team would disagree. All of these teams have a hand in keeping our pFresh area full and impactful. I don't think anyone who works only in pFresh knows much about how to work on those teams.

Pretty sure that our flow team, backroom team, instocks team, plano team, and pricing team would disagree. All of these teams have a hand in keeping our pFresh area full and impactful. I don't think anyone who works only in pFresh knows much about how to work on those teams.

I agree with rj, my hl team outside of pfresh, will help out the pfresh team when needed, mostly closing it. Due to lack of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back