Archived Promoted to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a college degree? How long did it take you from Tm->TL->ETL? Was this your path? What helped you most , aside from hardwork? Networking ,knowing the right people? I want to be on a lateral path at target. Currently a TL .

Do you have a college degree? How long did it take you from Tm->TL->ETL? Was this your path? What helped you most , aside from hardwork? Networking ,knowing the right people? I want to be on a lateral path at target. Currently a TL .
You probably need to be less of a dick.

My last tm to etl was under 2yrs, no college at all but he owned the remodel overnight then the etl-remodel was on vacation. That etl got promoted to stl and dragged him behind to etl. Srtl/Etl/stl is always playing the game, networking, keeping in touch with other stores... they are like a kaleidoscope ... they turn the roosters and fall in different patterns a couple times a year or every couple years depending on metrics. But none of them are asshats.

Less of a dick... always good!

michae10.gif

img[

You probably need to be less of a dick.

My last tm to etl was under 2yrs, no college at all but he owned the remodel overnight then the etl-remodel was on vacation. That etl got promoted to stl and dragged him behind to etl. Srtl/Etl/stl is always playing the game, networking, keeping in touch with other stores... they are like a kaleidoscope ... they turn the roosters and fall in different patterns a couple times a year or every couple years depending on metrics. But none of them are asshats.
Oh ok, so be less of a dick and more of a pussy? Must be hard for you,being a man living with a vagina. You are an inspiration.

Edit:- I asked a simple ,direct and respectful question, seeking guidance. Why did you have to throw genitalia in there? A dick?An ass? Is this how someone becomes less of a dick?
I can see the kind of ETL you are going to be, walking around with a DICK up your ASS.
( to the mods)
I am using the same language OP used. Please do not send me threatening msgs for violating forum rules, atleast, apply them equally.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I hope you can accomplish what you are setting out to do.

Oh ok, so be less of a dick and more of a pussy? Must be hard for you,being a man living with a vagina. You are an inspiration.

Edit:- I asked a simple ,direct and respectful question, seeking guidance. Why did you have to throw genitalia in there? A dick?An ass? Is this how someone becomes less of a dick?
I can see the kind of ETL you are going to be, walking around with a DICK up your ASS.
( to the mods)
I am using the same language OP used. Please do not send me threatening msgs for violating forum rules, atleast, apply them equally.
@signingminion was probably referring to your long and storied posting history. Maybe that's not how you are in real life and you just take out internalized anger on a message board, who's to say. But if that's how you actually interact with people in real life, I wouldn't think it's possible for you to promote to ETL and frankly I'd be shocked that you're even a TL.

Congrats. A rarity for someone with Backroom experience to make it to ETL Log. Thats the way it should always be

@signingminion was probably referring to your long and storied posting history. Maybe that's not how you are in real life and you just take out internalized anger on a message board, who's to say. But if that's how you actually interact with people in real life, I wouldn't think it's possible for you to promote to ETL and frankly I'd be shocked that you're even a TL.
I have rarely called people names on this forum. Yes , I am very direct and at times unsympathetic on this forum.
Today a new TM said to me “ you are the best boss i’ve ever had”
I dont take people and their hard work for granted, EVER!
This forum showcases the best and worst of who is employed at Target or have been. I have given appropriate responses /suggestions and criticism to both.

Watch the koolaid.
@sigma7 was a tm to etl.
Here is what he says when he left spot:
The craziest thing to me is that it’s been a few days now and I still have no regrets about leaving. I never thought I would be the kind of person to just turn in an immediate resignation. I always figured I would do a full two weeks at a minimum and have a job lined up, but I didn’t when I decided to quit. Turning in my notice and walking out the door felt right at the time and everyday I’m more and more confident I made the right decision.

My high stress has all but disappeared and I’m not miserable...even though I have every reason to be with me stuck knee deep in the job search and no immediate plan for work. The only part I was maybe subconsciously planning was to have enough savings to last me at least 6 months. I just feel so at peace with my decision to leave for my mental/emotional/physical health and my happiness. Never looking back!

Its attitude to challenges that sets an eye on you for the elevation in the business. Ability to build the tools to climb the mountain

No business degree. You dont need that. It took me 4 years from TM to TL and 8 months from TL to ETL. What helped me most was the drive to learn what makes the business work all around. Also store partnership and attitude. You can run a department or process with TMs but keep in mind that the entire store is an operation within itself. Have your attitude to challenges in mind when faced with hard tasks, teach people the way to be that will help the business function at a higher binary. Learn your current job and perfect it within yourself the best you can before you agree to move onto other sides of the business. Create an atmosphere with your fellow TLs that drives the will for success in the operation. Also, create habits amongst TMs that reflect the vision and teach them to be adaptable and open minded to changing those habits on the fly. Retail is a lifestyle. You also have to love it to obtain a say so. Most of all, your genuine willingness to serve people in general will showcase your ability to rise above and higher ups in business recognize that as leaders themselves. You've got to have the personal attitude to affect people and change if you want it. Hope that helps.

Congrats on you achieving your goal. I can't say more than that because I won't ever work with you. But nevertheless congrats.

Congrats. Looking at your posts, you seem like you actually have a solid understanding as to what the job is going to entail.

As someone who followed a similar path, there is one thing as a log I would caution you to do - always take a vacation. Every 6 months take a week long vacation, it will help with the burnout tremendously.

Its attitude to challenges that sets an eye on you for the elevation in the business. Ability to build the tools to climb the mountain

No business degree. You dont need that. It took me 4 years from TM to TL and 8 months from TL to ETL. What helped me most was the drive to learn what makes the business work all around. Also store partnership and attitude. You can run a department or process with TMs but keep in mind that the entire store is an operation within itself. Have your attitude to challenges in mind when faced with hard tasks, teach people the way to be that will help the business function at a higher binary. Learn your current job and perfect it within yourself the best you can before you agree to move onto other sides of the business. Create an atmosphere with your fellow TLs that drives the will for success in the operation. Also, create habits amongst TMs that reflect the vision and teach them to be adaptable and open minded to changing those habits on the fly. Retail is a lifestyle. You also have to love it to obtain a say so. Most of all, your genuine willingness to serve people in general will showcase your ability to rise above and higher ups in business recognize that as leaders themselves. You've got to have the personal attitude to affect people and change if you want it. Hope that helps.
In a well run store, perhaps this is solid advice. Unfortunately well run stores are few and far between. In a store where the ETL group is targeting (yes targeting) team members who do challenge upwards and appropriately this is nearly impossible. Executives that go barhopping with select TLs and blatantly show favoritism is a reality in other stores. Transferring is simply not an option for many TLs due to family or financial reasons. Congratulations on your promotion. It sounds like you are in a very well run store that may have some issues that need tweeking not a total executive toilet flush..

Congrats and good luck!

I can’t remember why exactly, but I was under the impression that you were about ready to call it quits. Glad to see you turned it around and are keeping a positive attitude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back