Archived Promotion within

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently in the process of applying at my local DC. I am a college graduate with a management degree. I got some experience as a team lead (6 months) at a parts warehouse. I applied as just a warehouse worker and as a OM. I also did receive a recommendation from a current DC employee and got a call for an interview less than 15 hours after submitting a application. But my real question is with my background and recommendation, if I work and prove myself is there a good chance for a promotion from worker to an OM.
sorry if anything I said wasn’t relevant

There's almost no chance at promotion from within. You should only apply as an OM and more than likely will get it. I've heard of less than 5 people over 15 years get promoted.
Not entirely true. We had two team members promoted up within the last year. We also had an informational meeting for “team member to om”. It seems like a longer process than getting hired on from outside the company but it is more of a possibility than it used to be. They also drag you around the entire process and make you give little presentations to your team.

Not entirely true. We had two team members promoted up within the last year. We also had an informational meeting for “team member to om”. It seems like a longer process than getting hired on from outside the company but it is more of a possibility than it used to be. They also drag you around the entire process and make you give little presentations to your team.

Like I said, 5 people the last 15 years.

We had 4 people at our DC in the last 5 years make the transition. Most of them took a year or two to make the transition but they had all been with the company for a number of years. I'm currently going through the process and it can be incredibly frustrating. They give you lots of projects to work on and say its for your "development" but don't like to tell you what you need to develop. Or during your reviews the only feedback you get is to keep doing what you're doing.

From the others I talked to who made it, they all basically said the same thing you'll feel like there's no progress whatsoever and then suddenly they come up to you and say "okay you're an OM now". Its all a matter of putting yourself in positions and doing things so that both your OMs and the OMs of other departments notice you. Because when you mention your interest to your senior the first thing they'll do is start talking to other OMs that you've worked with and ask their opinions.

Extremely hard to do so, in my experience. It can happen, but be prepared for lots of bs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back