Archived Prop 67 - Ban on one use plastic bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our store just rolled out this ban. Holy shit does this suck. Are we suppose to ask everytime they want to buy a bag now? When guest buy from electronics and don't want a bag, how do TPS know if they paid for it?

Last edited:
They show a receipt.
Our city has had a single-use bag ban for a few years now.
Lots of people pissed & moaned about it but now it's like 'meh'.
That hasn't stopped state legislators from trying to overturn it via state law.
This from the same jerks who 'don't like the feds in their bidness'.

We have a bag ban its not a big deal. Most guest bring their own reuseable bags. Occasionally they buy five cent paper bags from us and rarest they will buy a tote and tell you to stick it in the tote.

Plastic bags are a huge waste and not good for the enviroment so the change makes sense.

Portland has dealt with it just fine. People bitched and moaned for a couple months then either everyone brought their own reusable bag or just went paper.

We have a bag ban its not a big deal. Most guest bring their own reuseable bags. Occasionally they buy five cent paper bags from us and rarest they will buy a tote and tell you to stick it in the tote.

Plastic bags are a huge waste and not good for the enviroment so the change makes sense.

Where I live, the plastic bag 5 cent tax is county wide. The effects of it were that it raised a decent amount of revenue, more than the county anticipated, meaning quite a few plastic bags were sold. Yet somehow, you very rarely see plastic bags on the ground outside anymore. People hold onto their plastic bags to reuse them.

Wait so this law just passed and immediately went into effect?

So our store just rolled out this ban. Holy shit does this suck. Are we suppose to ask everytime they want to buy a bag now? When guest buy from electronics and don't want a bag, how do TPS know if they paid for it?
I didn't realize that passed too.
Anyway, I'm in one of the counties that banned plastic bags several years ago, and yeah, people just ask every transaction if they want a bag for 10 cents.

Unusual right? Usually they go into effect atleast a month later.

Also in my state if they use WIC or Food Stamps they get their paper bag free so its really not a big deal.

When my area rolled out our bag ban, people were pissed. One of my GSTLs got yelled at for a half hour on the phone, because the actually sturdier paper bag had torn while she was on the bus.

But, that was a couple years ago. Now people are pretty accepting. I just ask if they want a bag, most of them have reusable ones. If they don't, they apologize and I try to get as much into one bag (the bags actually are sturdy... person above had to be literally crazy)

Where I live, the plastic bag 5 cent tax is county wide. The effects of it were that it raised a decent amount of revenue, more than the county anticipated, meaning quite a few plastic bags were sold. Yet somehow, you very rarely see plastic bags on the ground outside anymore. People hold onto their plastic bags to reuse them.
Yep, I miss those large bags we used for toys, etc but I DON'T miss plastic bags blowing along the roads or fluttering in trees like windsocks.

We don't have a bag ban but when ever a purchase is made in electronics, the electronics TM makes an announcement on the walkie if the purchase is $50 or more.

That sucks for local businesses who don't have anywhere to send the bags. Talk about a waste of plastic...

Somewhat. The single-use bag ban was actually slated to happen back in 2014. I remember us all expecting it to rollout, and then it was delayed. So the prop this year was just getting the voters to agree to the ban, and there was no time that it was supposed to happen. So it just went into effect immediately, as soon as the results were certified on Nov. 9th. I agree it should've been postponed to Jan. 1st to give stores and people time but whatever. I'm glad California is so progressive to have a statewide ban like this.

That sucks for local businesses who don't have anywhere to send the bags. Talk about a waste of plastic...

I will take them, they are perfect for scooping the kitty litter box.. For shopping, I do a mix of reusable bags most were freebies from car shows and other places, and a few of the Star Wars bags from One Spot They are pretty stout btw. Cashiers love those Star Wars bags. But plastic I get are horrid why I make sure to reuse them. When the plastic runs out, I will get a diaper genie for the kitty litter.

The plastic bags are also usually a perfect size for small bathroom trash cans.

Guess my area is just behind the times. With the exception of the reusable bags all we have is the plastic bags. Hell most of the grocery stores around here don't even offer paper bags anymore.

The newspaper (for those who still subscribe to a print edition) comes in a plastic bag that many dog owners use during walks.
Plastic bags are still allowed for carryout at food places but yeh, you don't see near the trash from plastic since folks are actually hoarding them.

Guess my area is just behind the times. With the exception of the reusable bags all we have is the plastic bags. Hell most of the grocery stores around here don't even offer paper bags anymore.

Up here it varies city by city. My store uses plastic but just two miles down the road, plastic is banned.

I wish my store would ban plastic bags tbh. So many guests want things double bagged ( I mean they are so flimsy) paper bags would be so much better.

paper bags would be so much better.
But then guests would complain if the bags don't have handles. Or if the bags did have handles, they would complain that they keep breaking when they put 20lbs of stuff in the bag.

But then guests would complain if the bags don't have handles. Or if the bags did have handles, they would complain that they keep breaking when they put 20lbs of stuff in the bag.

They do have handles but you know our guest will complain no matter what we do so might as well stick to our guns.

I tell guest it is not a Target policy but a city policy. Honestly if they dont like it they can shop across town.

I wish our store went paper only. Sometimes those bags are so damn uncooperative because the whole batch is stuck together.

I wish our store went paper only. Sometimes those bags are so damn uncooperative because the whole batch is stuck together.
At my grocery store when that happens I literally throw away the whole ream of bags. It's just not worth the frustration.

I will take them, they are perfect for scooping the kitty litter box.. For shopping, I do a mix of reusable bags most were freebies from car shows and other places, and a few of the Star Wars bags from One Spot They are pretty stout btw. Cashiers love those Star Wars bags. But plastic I get are horrid why I make sure to reuse them. When the plastic runs out, I will get a diaper genie for the kitty litter.

The plastic bags are also usually a perfect size for small bathroom trash cans.

I use the bags for kitty litter, bathroom trash and to pick up after my dogs in the yard. I never throw bags away, I use them for something. They make diaper genies things for cats now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back