Archived Push all truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Group Operations Leader always said the idea of the flow process is to touch a box as little as possible. Truck -> pallet->Sales Floor or Truck->Pallet->Backstock. Seems like a push all would increase the amount of people handling a box, which means it is increasing the time the flow process should finish. My flow team wouldn't do well with a push all. No matter how many times I emphasized the importance of stocking by the label, they would stock by sight and open every single box. This makes a backroom ugly or makes WACOs fill up when the box is damaged. Come on Target!

What? How are two BR TMs which is all we have coming in with the flow team, supposed to pull 4 hours worth of pulls in a half hour? That's completely unrealistic.

Yeah, that may not work for your store. Your store must be using BR payroll for flow if they are unloading a truck in 30 minutes. That is why you only have two people. We usually have 2-3, but unload takes at least an hour and I'm not sure what our Autofill goal time is, but I think it's less than 4 hours.

What? How are two BR TMs which is all we have coming in with the flow team, supposed to pull 4 hours worth of pulls in a half hour? That's completely unrealistic.

Yeah, that may not work for your store. Your store must be using BR payroll for flow if they are unloading a truck in 30 minutes. That is why you only have two people. We usually have 2-3, but unload takes at least an hour and I'm not sure what our Autofill goal time is, but I think it's less than 4 hours.

My store is ULV so our unload times are probably low due to size of our trucks.

It is far more efficient. I have seen it done in stores successfully where they rarely take trailers below 2700 everyday of the week. Your BRTMs will not have truck backstock anymore, and therefore can help push as well (for the first part of your wave). Then they go back and keep up with the Backstock from the wave. Your floor will be more full, and you have removed a majority of the human error caused when scanning the truck.

Because autofills don't exist for the backroom to pull? Also the backroom still gets truck backstock, it just comes significantly later so it's less likely to be done.

Yes they exist, they pull them during the unload. You should have enough BRTMs to get Autofills pulled in the same amount of time it would take your Unload to get completed! Then they all push food (most likely) as the first part of the wave, BR breaks away and starts backstocking the product that is getting sent back... Simple

Well that is an issue in the first place. Ignoring the possibility of the process being push all (just saying you stay scan)... If your pulls are not getting completed at the same time as your unload, you are being unproductive. Are you bowling out the pulls with the truck product? A clean process should get ALL product worked (pulls, truck, repacks) for an area throughout the wave process. Otherwise you are risking back-tracking.

How fast do you think the wave moves? The pulls keep up with the wave push at our store. Everything is unloaded first, while the backroom pulls consumables, pets, HBA and cosmetics. By the time unload is ton the wave has moved into those areas where the push is ready and so on.

The problem with push all is that items that should be backstocked are needlessly being sent to the floor, and transition is NEVER set aside. There is a reason we abandoned push all in the first place years ago. Ever since my store switched to it we have had nothing but problems. The truck process as a whole is slower, the backstock never gets done and the push is a lot sloppier than before.

My Group Operations Leader always said the idea of the flow process is to touch a box as little as possible. Truck -> pallet->Sales Floor or Truck->Pallet->Backstock. Seems like a push all would increase the amount of people handling a box, which means it is increasing the time the flow process should finish. My flow team wouldn't do well with a push all. No matter how many times I emphasized the importance of stocking by the label, they would stock by sight and open every single box. This makes a backroom ugly or makes WACOs fill up when the box is damaged. Come on Target!

You are, in the long run, increasing the amount of times you touch product...

Scenario 1: Item comes in on trailer, 5 could fit on the shelf but it won't send it out until it is half (6/12) so it sends it to backstock. Backroom Team backstocks the item. Items sells at 11AM, and backroom sends entire box out to the salesfloor. Salesfloor Team now is stocking it during the day and puts 6 out (sending 6 more to BR). Item is now full on shelf. Backroom backstocks 6 items in open stock.

Scenario 2: Item comes in on trailer, we automatically send it to the salesfloor. Item is stocked full. Backroom backstocks 7 items in open stock (based on numbers above). Item is full on the floor, and the guest who bought the item at 11AM above now may buy more (since all 12 are on shelf). If the guest buys 5 (different than the example above) you would then send the exact amount out at the 11AM CAFs, instead of sending out the entire box, to get half of it back to backstock after we stock it.

Sure there are going to be times when we are going to send items to the floor just be find none went out. Sure there are going to be times when only a few items go out. The issue with scan-based unloads is that it leaves room for error. In Scenario 1, what if the accumulator was off? We sent something to backstock that should not have been, and it stayed in the BR until Instocks scanned it (how often do they scan now?)...

The problem with push all is that items that should be backstocked are needlessly being sent to the floor, and transition is NEVER set aside. There is a reason we abandoned push all in the first place years ago. Ever since my store switched to it we have had nothing but problems. The truck process as a whole is slower, the backstock never gets done and the push is a lot sloppier than before.

What you need friend is a nice tall cool glass of Kool-Aid. That'll help get rid of those free thinking thoughts of logic. But you are right and will be right again by Christmas but possibly by BTS we will abandon Push All trucks and this super silly WAVE stocking ('tho that might just be my store/district/region).

Push All does not work now and it will not work 4th quarter. But every manager will say it will and does work until we switch to something else then that will be the latest and greatest thing that will makes us be the best store/company ever.

And to keep things in perspective Target is the company who promoted their buyer to be the CIO. And we know how that turned out. Might be slightly off on that but yeah corps. Decision making process is flawed.

How fast do you think the wave moves? The pulls keep up with the wave push at our store. Everything is unloaded first, while the backroom pulls consumables, pets, HBA and cosmetics. By the time unload is ton the wave has moved into those areas where the push is ready and so on.

Why is transition not getting set to the side? On a push all, you now have an ENTIRE backside of the line that could be utilized for transition and large quantity products.

Of course your backstock does not get done! Your backroom team is pulling when they should be backstocking! The autofills should get pulled sooner, and the pulls should be completely bowled out with the rest of the product. Your BRTM's should have nothing to do at this point, because once the unload is done, there is no backstock at all to do (no truck backstock, and the push process is just starting). They can then help the unload team for the first part of the wave. As soon as backstock starts making its way back they go the backroom and backstock as the wave makes their way through the store. Once the floor is completed, you can then schedule some flow team members afterwards (if needed) to complete backstock.

Again the store I am talking about commonly does 2700 piece trailers with 14 total flow team members and they use 4 BR (plus the TL). The wave is gone in 4 hours, and the BR is gone in 6.

If every single person working on those trucks is an A+ team member that might happen, but flow team at my store is a total joke and our backroom usually has one person come in with flow, one more an hour and a half later, and maybe a third another hour after that.

In general I think you are exaggerating quite a bit, because that doesn't sound realistic at all.

Why is transition not getting set to the side? On a push all, you now have an ENTIRE backside of the line that could be utilized for transition and large quantity products.

Of course your backstock does not get done! Your backroom team is pulling when they should be backstocking! The autofills should get pulled sooner, and the pulls should be completely bowled out with the rest of the product. Your BRTM's should have nothing to do at this point, because once the unload is done, there is no backstock at all to do (no truck backstock, and the push process is just starting). They can then help the unload team for the first part of the wave. As soon as backstock starts making its way back they go the backroom and backstock as the wave makes their way through the store. Once the floor is completed, you can then schedule some flow team members afterwards (if needed) to complete backstock.

Again the store I am talking about commonly does 2700 piece trailers with 14 total flow team members and they use 4 BR (plus the TL). The wave is gone in 4 hours, and the BR is gone in 6.
When my store switched to push all, they made more custom blocks so both sides of the line are push.

Does your flow separate transition as it comes off? If not, when does backroom do it?

When my store switched to push all, they made more custom blocks so both sides of the line are push.

Does your flow separate transition as it comes off? If not, when does backroom do it?

Yes they sort most of the transition as it comes off the line, as there doesn't have to be somebody actively looking for BS

If every single person working on those trucks is an A+ team member that might happen, but flow team at my store is a total joke and our backroom usually has one person come in with flow, one more an hour and a half later, and maybe a third another hour after that.

In general I think you are exaggerating quite a bit, because that doesn't sound realistic at all.

All it takes is solid routines. You do not have to have the best team members ever to pull it off. The entire team comes in, starts unloading and pulling batches. Both end at the same time. The entire team jumps in and helps with the wave. As backstock starts to accumulate for food areas (since it is first) the backroom team starts to go back to the backroom and start backstocking. The wave follows its path, and the backroom follows them. Freight is finished by 4 hours in, and a few TMs help backstock the random areas that are left (Electronics, SL, end of GM) and they are done by 6 hours in. They also spend the end of their time Subt999ing the Plano stuff.

I still don't understand how you seem to be getting the pulls done so quickly. It's just not possible to get the pulls done quicker than the unload especially when the pulls generally drop a huge paper batch that needs to get pulled from the steel in front of the line.

So, does push all literally mean Push everything on the truck - except Transition?

:thinks about the insanity of pushing eleventy billion pencils and notebooks or Christmas ornaments:

Yes they sort most of the transition as it comes off the line, as there doesn't have to be somebody actively looking for BS
My STL and I are working on that.

OK second day went by pretty sweet. As for BRTM helping is a joke! Ours ended up pulling 6 am auto fill and never once helped on the truck or floor. Complained about if everything we brought back is true backstock and everytime they saw flow they would nag if we have any backstock ready ha.

But I noticed we are moving quicker since we don't push to the P anymore.

Last edited:

That's amazing we are a push all and have 5 backer rom and 20 flow tm I'm the only log tl at my store and we finish trucks average 2500 in 4 hours and back stock in 6hrs. There is no way I could do it with only 14 tm though. We run on roughly 24 hrs in back room and 88hrs for flow my eight included.

We tried that for a week, changed a bunch of things up to do so and it became a total disaster! Two weeks later we were back to back stocking off the truck. Push all is a bad idea for any store with mid to high volume.

I remember pushing a truck in 4 hours. Now at my new store we get 6 1/2 or 7 hours (6am-1:00pm) to push a truck. My team is small about 15 tm including our log etl who helps like a regular flow tm.

Our trucks average about 2100 and we've been push all for three weeks and its been working very well surprisingly. The disaster to me though is that the salesfloor looks awful at 8am. We have tons of freight on the floor until at least 9:30 when things start to come clean. The backroom has been coming clean though, which when we had autobackstock it was not.

When you guys say you push a truck in 4 hours, does that mean you come in at 6am to unload, and are finished with all the freight by 10am?

When you guys say you push a truck in 4 hours, does that mean you come in at 6am to unload, and are finished with all the freight by 10am?

Pretty much. But not for me we get until 1 pm to finish the truck.

I still don't understand how you seem to be getting the pulls done so quickly. It's just not possible to get the pulls done quicker than the unload especially when the pulls generally drop a huge paper batch that needs to get pulled from the steel in front of the line.

There should be a TM who works in receiving under the backroom. He can pull those batches (only the ones directly above the line) and run them with his PIPO Pallets, which he does all himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back