Archived Put in my 2 weeks, but I have a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassCoughs

Ex-Food Ave/Starbucks/everything else
New poster here just for a question. So, I put my two weeks in without a job. I cannot do this job anymore after 7 years. Everyday something goes wrong. I work at food ave. Alone all day. No mids. Nothing. We aren't getting mids for the summer, so why should I argue and fight for them? Everyday in the summer is like a weekend.

My team lead and I (she was working a Starbucks shift) took our lunch together so she wouldn't have her Starbucks person be alone. It's better to leave someone for a half and hour than one hour. We aren't allowed to close anymore under this new STL. So lo and behold we got in trouble by AP who going behind food ave or Starbucks is beneath him (like every other ETL.)

We both got pulled into the office separately and I told him honestly I'm done with this stuff I'm so unhappy so I'd rather put my two weeks in.

I've been miserable for years but when you get comfy in a job no matter what it is, you don't want to find another job and go through that whole rigamaroll and do the resumes etc.

Now before anyone says "oh you shouldn't have quit without a job, I know. That's how badly I needed to get out of here. I've been doing this for 7 years and I can't do it anymore. The only ETL who supported us from the start left to go to another store. There's been countless times I'd mention to them we need mids, we need this and we need that. Nothing happens. So I just gotta go.

So my question is, if I retracted my 2 weeks would I be no pun intended "targeted" or a "marked man." I know there's a chance they might say no, but I don't want them to get the chance to laugh at me and etc. Most of them don't like me anyways because I speak my mind. I just wanna find another job before I leave. But if not then whatever. That's how bad it is.

There's just no help or support anymore. My hours are okay, but I'm always alone all damn day. No one comes over for backup except the GSA or GSTL and they're busy themselves running the front. I would be walking out in the summer. My Boss is getting sick of it too. Thank you.

Oh I definitely am doing my two weeks! I'd never do that to my team lead. She's one of my bestest friends and literally my second mom. If it wasn't for her I'd be out sooner anyways. I do it for her. She has enough on her plate since in our store, Starbucks and Food merged to one team lead. Thanks!

Do they really expect you to work without a lunch break? Or was it because you & the TL went to break at the same time?
They'll probably put you on a corrective action for the incident leading up to your threat to quit.
It would be better if cooler heads prevailed & they attempted to talk you out of it; then you could say 'OK' but consider yourself a marked TM & start looking fast.

Do they really expect you to work without a lunch break? Or was it because you & the TL went to break at the same time?
They'll probably put you on a corrective action for the incident leading up to your threat to quit.
It would be better if cooler heads prevailed & they attempted to talk you out of it; then you could say 'OK' but consider yourself a marked TM & start looking fast.

I'm already looking. I decided I am done with retail. I don't wanna be in food or retail for the rest of my life. Getting paid less for what I deal with. I already wasted 7 years here. I was hired seasonal and just needed a job. 7 years later I am miserable and I can't do it anymore. I wanna go back to school a second time and just get the hell out.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Bro if it's as bad as you say it is quit immediately. If you feel like you're constantly walking on eggshells, just don't , stop the hurt.
Now, just because you got pulled aside and were talked to about a situation that the store deemed necessary to issue a corrective action, doesn't mean you get to throw a fit about it and get all emotional and threaten to quit your job. You must have have felt great giving out your 2 weeks right? Did it feel like you were slapping them in face? Sticking it to the man?
Look at where you are now, wishing to crawl back , to take it all back. The abuse and problems that made you quit , all of a sudden don't seem so bad.
My advice, serve your two weeks and never look back. If you are the quality candidate you claim to be, 2 weeks is ample time to find another job.
I am sorry that target made your life a living hell. I am sorry that they kept you employed for 7 years! I see a big problem in your situation and it's all you!

Bro if it's as bad as you say it is quit immediately. If you feel like you're constantly walking on eggshells, just don't , stop the hurt.
Now, just because you got pulled aside and were talked to about a situation that the store deemed necessary to issue a corrective action, doesn't mean you get to throw a fit about it and get all emotional and threaten to quit your job. You must have have felt great giving out your 2 weeks right? Did it feel like you were slapping them in face? Sticking it to the man?
Look at where you are now, wishing to crawl back , to take it all back. The abuse and problems that made you quit , all of a sudden don't seem so bad.
My advice, serve your two weeks and never look back. If you are the quality candidate you claim to be, 2 weeks is ample time to find another job.
I am sorry that target made your life a living hell. I am sorry that they kept you employed for 7 years! I see a big problem in your situation and it's all you!

I never threatened anyone about my 2 weeks. I knew I wasn't going to have them beg me to come back. I don't care. I was only thinking about coming back for a few days until I found another job.

See, you're the problem with this place. I assume by your name that you work in Plano. You have no idea (im assuming you don't know food ave or Starbucks) what we go through. No one pays attention to us anymore. We are chopped liver. The LODS and executive team leads do NOT want to be bothered. You can't say anything until you've lived it. In my store if you're anywhere besides sbux and food ave, you won't be ignored. YOU TOLERATE it. After 7 years I'm done. I came here asking a question. I didn't expect to be ridiculed. Who the hell are you? Probably Plano team lead...... no wonder you were so rude. If you're a boss then you get away with everything. So there ya go. Thanks!

Responses to post like this really make my blood boil. Number one if you disagree with the Op that's all fine and good. You can state your opinion you don't even have to be all roses and sunshine while doing it but you don't have to downright rude. IF you had read the post by the Op I think you ( or at least to me ) would see that the Op was frustrated with things long before being called in the office. Being called in the office was the final straw...the Op simply had enough and gave their two weeks. I don't think it was a threat or a temper tantrum I think it was someone saying look I have had enough. Hell, there are days I feel the same way I just don't have the guts to act on it. Like, I said there is no need to be rude.

Last edited:
New poster here just for a question. So, I put my two weeks in without a job. I cannot do this job anymore after 7 years. Everyday something goes wrong. I work at food ave. Alone all day. No mids. Nothing. We aren't getting mids for the summer, so why should I argue and fight for them? Everyday in the summer is like a weekend.

My team lead and I (she was working a Starbucks shift) took our lunch together so she wouldn't have her Starbucks person be alone. It's better to leave someone for a half and hour than one hour. We aren't allowed to close anymore under this new STL. So lo and behold we got in trouble by AP who going behind food ave or Starbucks is beneath him (like every other ETL.)

We both got pulled into the office separately and I told him honestly I'm done with this stuff I'm so unhappy so I'd rather put my two weeks in.

I've been miserable for years but when you get comfy in a job no matter what it is, you don't want to find another job and go through that whole rigamaroll and do the resumes etc.

Now before anyone says "oh you shouldn't have quit without a job, I know. That's how badly I needed to get out of here. I've been doing this for 7 years and I can't do it anymore. The only ETL who supported us from the start left to go to another store. There's been countless times I'd mention to them we need mids, we need this and we need that. Nothing happens. So I just gotta go.

So my question is, if I retracted my 2 weeks would I be no pun intended "targeted" or a "marked man." I know there's a chance they might say no, but I don't want them to get the chance to laugh at me and etc. Most of them don't like me anyways because I speak my mind. I just wanna find another job before I leave. But if not then whatever. That's how bad it is.

There's just no help or support anymore. My hours are okay, but I'm always alone all damn day. No one comes over for backup except the GSA or GSTL and they're busy themselves running the front. I would be walking out in the summer. My Boss is getting sick of it too. Thank you.
You can tell them you had second thoughts about the two week notice. What will they do? I am not sure. They could let you stay treat you like crap not let you stay or let you stay and treat you right. I would just go to them tell them that you have thought about it and you would like to stay on...if they say no or do the hwole attitude thing then just keep with the plan and walk away. EVEN if they did let you stay I would just keep looking for something else. Good luck with things !

I have covered breaks at food ave in the past and we have no SB (yet...) but I can see what the food ave folks go thru. Especially now that the market TL is now in charge of food ave. Anyway, I have done the same thing you have, put in my two weeks and then rescinded it. I got disgusted at the childish remarks that my ETL-HR would make and the jerking me around and felt like I had no where to turn. I finally sat down with my ETL and unloaded on her. We talked about a lot of stuff: my goals, the problems going on, etc. and I actually felt listened to. Is there any leadership you feel you can talk to?

Responses to post like this really make my blood boil. Number one if you disagree with the Op that's all fine and good. You can state your opinion you don't even have to be all roses and sunshine while doing it but you don't have to downright rude. IF you had read the post by the Op I think you ( or at least to me ) would see that the Op was frustrated with things long before being called in the office. Being called in the office was the final straw...the Op simply had enough and gave their two weeks. I don't think it was a threat or a temper tantrum I think it was someone saying look I have had enough. Hell, there are days I feel the same way I just don't have the guts to act on it. Like, I said there is no need to be rude.
Ok, I'll be sure to provide a " safe place" and positive reinforcement .

Good job OP, whenever you feel you've had enough , feel free to hand in a notice. You have the right. You also have the right to change your mind. Target should be ok with it, target should understand and accommodate your requests for a change of heart, regarding these term notices. Lastly, the burden that a term letter puts on a particular store, hr,etl and your fellow team members shouldn't stop you from doing it over and over again.

Thank you! Yes, it was the final straw. I went through a lot in the past 7 years. It has gotten worse.

I feel like THIS problem would be solved if we had midshift people. Problems like breaks, backup and so on...

We have a back room SRTL (pretty sure) and he gets literally 80 hours a week. 40 regular and 40 overtime. But we can't get a measly 4 hour shift for a mid... how does that work?

And we aren't getting mids in the summer. So how am I gonna put orders away while making pizzas, doing dishes, making pastas etc etc while serving guests IN THE SUMMER. Weekdays at target in the summer are literally like a Saturday everyday... so how does that work? Then if I press the backup button, no one comes. If the GSA or GSTL are busy, I have no one. Starbucks is busy enough and I can't pull someone from there.

We live through this and we know what we need. I'm literally asking for 4 hours a day for a mid so none of this would happen. But it's pointless for me to complain since I am leaving.

The other day I was alone on Memorial Day (I actually had a mid 11-3 because my TL requested that I shouldn't be alone. He left at 3 and I got slammed. There were 2 SRTL chatting away at the registers. One of them was the backroom SRTL I mentioned above, he was off the clock I heard so that's fine. But, the other one wasn't and I kept pressing backup and she didn't even look over once. I understand that's not your work center, fine, but you're a boss and you need to help me out. I had no change. I was waiting about an hour for it. I had food coming out of the oven and about 4 sets of families waiting in line. You couldn't even come over to say what's up? They cannot be bothered. 10 mins later my HR comes running over and at that point I only needed change.

My boss made a point. She's an older lady. What if she needed help because of her health? What if someone fell and could only crawl to the register? What if we were getting robbed?

I just do not get it and I feel like I never will...

e gets literally 80 hours a week. 40 regular and 40 overtime. But we can't get a measly 4 hour shift for a mid... how does that work?
For this Alone should show you your store doesn't consider your workcenter worthy enough for the attention it deserves and needs. Your TL and yourself for that matter should NOT have to be there 24/7 in order for proper coverage. Sadly you leaving won't make any changes other than give You a piece of mind. (Personally I think you truly deserve it) You care about your workcenter and your team/TL, and those days of pride is rapidly deteriorating unfortunately. Good luck in your future endeavors!!

We have a back room SRTL (pretty sure) and he gets literally 80 hours a week. 40 regular and 40 overtime. But we can't get a measly 4 hour shift fora mid... how does that work?

Take a picture of his schedule and send it to the hotline. I don't believe that is true. 40 hours of overtime for a senior team lead would kill your budget but if your store can prove it. Do it

Take a picture of his schedule and send it to the hotline. I don't believe that is true. 40 hours of overtime for a senior team lead would kill your budget but if your store can prove it. Do it

It doesn't really matter to me anymore. No one ever has a say. I remember one time I came in on a Monday and his projected overtime was already like 20-something hours I was like HOW?!?! I had multiple people talking to me about it besides myself.

I'm glad I dodged a bullet. All of you have been very kind and helpful. I start my new job today! I'm really excited. They seem like they really care about their employees. So so nice there.

Yesterday was my last day at spot. Just said bye to a few people. The people that I'd really miss are the people who are already gone. I don't know any of these new people. This store has the worst turnout for people.

I was talking to someone and I asked her "is it weird that I really don't feel any type of sadness or bitter sweetness today?" She goes no, my last job I felt the same way.

It's just the way these type of businesses are. They don't care. They just care about the dough. Can't blame them but if you're not treating your workers right (especially good ones) then you're gonna lose them. But they don't care. That's retail for ya.

How I see it is they get rid of people but you've heard the saying "laugh now cry later." I'm sure they can get any Joe Schmo off the street but good luck actually trying to keep them here!

It doesn't really matter to me anymore. No one ever has a say. I remember one time I came in on a Monday and his projected overtime was already like 20-something hours I was like HOW?!?! I had multiple people talking to me about it besides myself.

I'm glad I dodged a bullet. All of you have been very kind and helpful. I start my new job today! I'm really excited. They seem like they really care about their employees. So so nice there.

Yesterday was my last day at spot. Just said bye to a few people. The people that I'd really miss are the people who are already gone. I don't know any of these new people. This store has the worst turnout for people.

I was talking to someone and I asked her "is it weird that I really don't feel any type of sadness or bitter sweetness today?" She goes no, my last job I felt the same way.

It's just the way these type of businesses are. They don't care. They just care about the dough. Can't blame them but if you're not treating your workers right (especially good ones) then you're gonna lose them. But they don't care. That's retail for ya.

How I see it is they get rid of people but you've heard the saying "laugh now cry later." I'm sure they can get any Joe Schmo off the street but good luck actually trying to keep them here!
Good luck with everything. Let us know how you are doing

Congratulations and good luck.
Stop by and let us know how things are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back