Archived Question about cashier training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I work in another department but am sometimes called up to the registers when the lines get long. What kind of cashier training should I have gotten? On my first day I observed a veteran cashier for about 45 minutes and then I was put on a register by myself for about 3 hours with no other training. At this point I feel that I know just enough to be dangerous when I am cashiering and am so stressed when I am called up to cashier. It is embarrassing in front of guests when I make so many mistakes. I am afraid that I am going to be fired because I am really terrible at this point.

Is there a book or something that I can read at home to help me understand the registers more?

That's about all the training I got. There is a training guide you can read. Ask your GSTL. Also, if you want to get better at cashiering it may not hurt to ask for a couple of cashiering shifts. Not only will it help you help the front end better, you could pick up additional cashier shifts when there's a shortage of hours in your workcenter or a call out. It never hurts to be global! Oh, and welcome!

Last edited:
Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Yea, sad to say all too often these days your experience is par for the course.
If you feel like you are having problems you can ask for help and there is a booklet you should have filled out as part of your learning plan.
But over all welcome to cashiering 101.

Is there a book or something that I can read at home to help me understand the registers more?

There is a training guide (ask a GSTL for it), but you should only read it while you are on the clock. During your training, they should've given you the booklet to look at and put a register in training mode for you to practice each type of transaction. Then they should've had you observe your trainer or a veteran cashier and eventually get on a lane yourself with your trainer watching.

Here is a link to TBR's cashier guide: http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/cashier.72/ If you ever have questions about cashing, don't be afraid to ask! We're always willing to help out. Try to use the search function, though, in case someone else asked the same thing (see: Red Cards).

Last edited:
Talk to a GSTL and tell them you aren't feeling comfortable. They will hopefully do what they can to get you with someone for a bit longer to get some real training in. That's what we do at my store.

I was given 15 minutes of cashier training after the store closed, did one transaction in practice mode, and that concluded my training. You're SUPPOSED to get a full 4 hour training shift as a cashier, but with training hours being cut, you'd be lucky to spend even a couple hours training. Ask questions and don't do anything you're not at all comfortable with yet.

I went thru the book yesterday with the register in training mode. It was helpful I felt, especially the lamp scenario about making sure to scan both parts. I kid you not, my 3rd person when I was alone had a lamp. And I would have missed the shade tag the way she had it on there!

Do ask about running thru the book, it should increase your comfort level when you know you can't mess up!

TMs in other departments will usually have about 1 day to a weeks worth of cashier with minimal training.

You really only need to know how to do the basics, ex. scan, handle money, bag, and process red cards conversions. If you get a tax exempt or WIC sale, then just call the GSA/GSTL over. If your workcenter is not the front end, they do not care about your speed or conversion scores unless you work Electronics.

Any training or reading material done outside of the store is working off the clock.

Oh, they care about speed score in my store, no matter how many transactions you have. They generally only get after you on conversion if you have over 100 transactions for the week.

If you make a mistake, just own it. Just say "Sorry, I'm just up here to help shorten the lines; I'm not usually a cashier" (in a brand friendly way, of course!) The guest SHOULD appreciate that you're giving them a shorter wait; if they don't, odds are they're a b*tch anyway and you shouldn't waste your time thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back